The Hunt is On- to Catch a Shade

“Captain, would you like to come with us? See an old friend?” Drake said from behind Henchard. He half turned, reminded of the other business he had to attend to. A throbbing in his head rotated with his body, reminding him again of his injuries.

“A moment Drake,” Henchard said, stepping towards him.  “I have not received any medical attention since our meeting with the Shade.  To save time on treatment, I would appreciate any cider you have to share.”  Henchard pauses, swallowing the blood filling his mouth.  After a few moments, he felt confident enough to speak again.  “Not to speak badly of the doctors here, I am sure they were preoccupied with more urgent cases.  But if we are to meet with the Shade again, I would like to have my feet firmly beneath me.”

(Co-written with Bertrand Lyndon)

Doctor Garrison? The Scorched Sailor wonders what she’s been up to since he last saw her. All told, she had always seemed to him like one of the less deranged members of the old party. She’d been resourceful at zee, and her assistance will be appreciated. “Aye, I’ll come. Always good to see a friendly face.” He hopes they are not pulling yet another soul into a hopeless quest. “I’ll meet you on yer way out. Need some air.”

Lyndon rests against a wall, waiting in silence. He should be searching for the kid, but there’s something else he needs to take care of first. It’s something he’d rather not do, honestly, but it’s almost a duty. He won’t run away from that, no matter how unpleasant it is, but that doesn’t mean he’ll do that in public.

Finally, a sound of heavy steps approaches the door. The Sergeant has chosen his spot carefully, a few steps away from the door, so that the people exiting the room cannot see him. He moves forward. “Captain, I’d like to have a word. If you don’t mind, of course.” He waits for the other to face him, then he takes out a packet of cigarettes and offers one to the Scorched Sailor. “Fancy a smoke?”

The Sailor considers the Sergeant as he waves the packet away. “Obliged, but I’ll go without.” He’s not as good with fire as he used to be.

Sergeant Lyndon puzzles him. He had been ready to dislike the man and his brusque attitude, but increasingly he’s thinking that what he took for adversarial behaviour is simply how Lyndon lives, a general, untargeted bullishness. And the girl, Jordan… she seems to like him, despite it all. The Scorched Sailor sighs. It’d be easier for everybody if “nice” and “good” went hand in hand. He nods at Lyndon and his cigarettes. “You go ahead, though. I don’t mind the smoke. I’m listenin’.”

Lyndon takes a cigarette for himself before putting the packet away. Its smell is awful, its taste even worse, if possible, but he likes them. He takes a few deep drags before speaking. He’s a curt man by choice, and being at a loss of words is an unfamiliar feeling for him. “I didn’t lie when I said I don’t like you,” he blurts out. Ok, not the best way to go about this. “but I want you to know that…” Another pause, even longer and more awkward. The Sergeant bites down hard on his cigarette, and swallows a sizeable chunk of his pride. “Well, you helped the kid out, and I’m sure you didn’t know she was with me, so you must have done it because you really felt like doing the right thing…” Lyndon sighs in frustration. “Listen, I appreciate what you did for the kid, alright? I guess I owe you a solid for keeping her safe, so if I can do something in return, just say the word.”

Tendrils of smoke curl in front of the Sergeant’s face, saving either man from the necessity of uncomfortable eye contact. The Sailor wonders if this was on purpose. So he really does care about the girl. Good. He coughs a little. “Aye, an’ I’m not about to be your best man either. Don’t matter if we’re not friends, as long as we don’t end up lying side-by-side in a ditch. Yer useful, and I think you’ll help us kill this thing, and that’s good enough.” The horrible smoke reminds him of the seedier Wolfstack taverns, and he imagines the same conversation happening over a drink, both men leaning against the bar, staring at the same spot on the opposite wall. “There ain’t no one good that wouldn’t’ve helped her out, and if yer sense o’ honour, or whatever you’ve got instead, requires that I get a favour back from ye, then call it this: you look after that girl. War-room ain’t no place fer a child. Send her home. Lock ‘er in the broom closet. If she’s standin’ with us then she’s standin’ in one o’ the most dangerous places in all London. Don’t make me wish I hadn’t helped her here.” It’s a long speech; he’s spoken more today than he has in a long while.

Is he tel- no, he probably means no offense. Probably he’s just worried about her.
“You don’t need to worry about that. I’ve kept her safe so far, and I’ll keep her safe as long as I breathe. She wasn’t supposed to come here in the first place, but she likes to pry in my businesses despite my best attempts to keep her out of this kind of things.” The Sergeant looks down the earthen corridor. “I should go find her now. I won’t leave her here - this place is far less safe than it looks. I’ll move her somewhere secure as soon as I can, and this time I’ll make sure she stays there until this mess is sorted out.” Lyndon leaves the wall he has been resting on during the whole conversation and starts to walk away. “You won’t have any regrets about helping her, Captain. Not if I can help it.”

The Scorched Sailor watches the Sergeant leave, cigarette smoke trailing after him. As always, things had come out more gruff than he’d meant, but if anyone can handle gruff, it’s Lyndon. He wonders why he feels so fiercely protective of the girl. Food for thought.
edited by Barselaar on 4/23/2017

(co-written with The Atumian Sputum)

The Advanced Gant-Aligned Spectrometer, Florence feels, is coming along nicely. A normal spectrometer wouldn’t do for studying gant. She tried, and bright spots of afterglow had clouded her vision for days afterward. She wasn’t even aware that that could happen. So, in order to continue her studies on light refraction, a special type of spectrometer will be necessary.

The design isn’t very different from a normal optical spectrometer’s, though it does make use of certain exotic components found only in the Neath. It’s also going to be about four meters tall, dwarfing the diminutive scientist. A precarious network of ladders and scaffolding has been erected in the lab to aid in its construction; in lieu of any other commitments, she’s been at work for almost two days. Florence has the curious ability to subside on seemingly nothing but very strong coffee for days on end with no ill effects. Her colleagues are used to her unique work ethic, and would surely direct anybody trying to find her in her office to her laboratory in the Institute of the Neathbow.

Of course, being tiny and built like a bundle of sticks, Florence isn’t actually doing the building. Mostly she just hangs around in the scaffolding and directs her assistant, Murphy.

“Just there, Murphy.”

The sturdier part of the two rolls his ladder over to the raw skeleton of what will one day be the collimator, hefting up the crescent-shaped piece of metal and setting it against the framework forming part of the outer hull. He begins to screw it in.

“Thank you, Murphy.”

“You know nothing makes me happier, Ms. Garrison,” the part-time guard, part-time lab assistant replies, voice accented with his homeland of Ireland.

Florence frowns as she studies her recently hired help. Though the response was obviously sarcastic - and many of Murphy’s responses are, she’s learned - she does note that the young Irishman rarely looks anything close to happy. He’s new to the Neath, still carrying the complexion of one who has seen sunlight and not the deathly pallor of the Neath’s residents, and though he does seem amazed, every now and then, the fascinations of the Bazaar’s city rarely seem to inspire any joy in him. Perhaps he’s just good at hiding it, or perhaps just bad at showing it - it’s hard to imagine that bony Gaelic face contorting itself into a smile.

Or perhaps just better not to, she notes with a wince, as she pictures the rather unpleasant image.

Oh well. At least he’s got rather ruddy, if terribly hollow, cheeks - they say that’s a sign of health and happiness.

Rain begins to fall. Murphy’s eyes look up from his work, looking across the web of scaffolding at the window. “You don’t mind, do you, boss?” he asks, casting a glance at Florence.

“Of course not. We can take a break for now,” the scientist replies, smiling kindly. The assistant slides down the ladder. He moves quickly across to his coat, which rests on a stool, fishing a book out from the pocket.

“Thanks, boss. I’ll see you soo-”

He pauses, looking back over his shoulder at Florence as he readies himself to go. The scientist looks nervously back, hands clasped together, trying to decide a way to get down from her rather precarious perch in the scaffolding.

&quotI’m sorry, Murph-”

“Christ,” he grumbles, hurrying over to the ladder, “Like the world’s ugliest kitten.”

The scientist gasps, indignant. “Well, it’s not like you’re one to judge!”

“Second time this week.”

“Forget it! I’m perfectly capable of getting down on my own!”

&quotAnd then we’ll both be off to win beauty pageants. Just wait a moment, Ms. Garrison.”

“… Thank you, Murphy.”

“Aye.”

&quotNo, I fear I’m not quite as wealthy as to have a carriage of my own. I’m quite happy to walk and get a bit more used to moving about with the cane, if you sirs don’t mind going at my pace. Unless you have something we could use, or prefer hailing a cab? In any case, let us meet back here in, say, an hour. That should be ample time for all to have breakfast and get ready to move.&quot

The Investigation—Part 1 of 5: The House on Covert Lane
(co-written with Drake Dynamo)

Navigating the few remaining snares and booby traps around the Shed of Wonders poses no problem for Lady Orosenn. Soon, she and Emma Dynamo are threading a path through the outskirts of Bugsby’s Marshes towards Watchmaker’s Hill. There is not much communication between the two at this point—the tall monster-hunter seems deeply in thought. Emma reads her companion’s countenance well enough by now to recognize when it’s better to leave her alone.

Lady Orosenn is still painfully aware of how ill-prepared she had stumbled into Seven Devils square just two days ago, trudging along with her head in the clouds like a lovestruck maiden. Never before had she let herself down like that, let alone the rest of the group. This would simply not do. She is determined to prove to herself during the coming two days that she is perfectly able to work efficiently and successfully, even—and especially—with Emma at her side.

Cabs can be hard to come by in Watchmaker’s Hill, but being the first of the party to leave, they find one soon enough. Lady Orosenn directs the driver towards Wolfstack Docks, hinting to him that he might make good business today if he returned to the Hill soon.

During the ride, she finally addresses her lover. “There will be no alley-snooping, and no skulking in the corners of pubs to overhear conversations, nor following around every beggar we see. We’re looking for very particular information, and we need it fast. No point in trusting to chance. I promise to you, I will find the Shade’s lair within 48 hours.”

“If you insist on doing it that way. It’s markedly less fun when you don’t get to come home dirty and covered in other people’s garbage,” Emma remarks.

Timmel raises her eyebrows. “That’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid. It appears our tastes run in different directions there.”

“Oh, my dear, the most fun part is getting cleaned off at the end,” Emma says with a smile. “But, I suppose this works too.”

Leaving the cab at the outskirts of the Docks, between warehouses and factories, Timmel Orosenn wends her way through a web of narrow, dirty lanes with intimate familiarity. The further they go, the shadier the people they meet, the more dilapidated and oppressive their surroundings—when suddenly, after squeezing through a gap between two apparently abandoned warehouses—they happen upon a row of neat, clean houses in good repair. Surrounded on all sides by grey industrial buildings, nobody would expect their existence here. Grinning, Orosenn turns towards Emma.

“Welcome to Covert Lane. This is where I go when I don’t want to be found. The apartments in these houses are rented to gentlepersons with a desire for privacy, and the means to pay for it. You might guess the identity of the cheery landlord and protector of this place; no need to mention his name. Safest place in London, if you know the rules. You come snooping around here, looking like you don’t belong—you disappear. You start asking questions of the people staying here—you disappear, no matter if you’re a constable, neddy man, private detective or whatever. You start a fight, or make any kind of trouble—you disappear. I keep a top-story apartment over there.” She points to the last building in the row.

“Hm, a penthouse, eh? Living large, I see. Hunting fabulous beasts must pay well,” Emma notes.
Lady Orosenn smiles. “It does over time. I’ve been doing this job for a while. I’m quite a bit older than I look, you know.”
“So am I, love. It appears we’ve got that in common,” Emma says. She cracks her knuckles. “So who are we going to meet?”
“Those who see all, but are rarely seen themselves,” Timmel answers mysteriously. “But first, let’s get something to eat. I’m starving.” They enter the building.

Apparently, these apartments even come with servants. Before going upstairs, Lady Orosenn converses at length with an unusually clean-looking and well-fed urchin girl they find lounging in the kitchen, and who soon dashes off with a list of errands. “I haven’t had anything at Stormrider’s place except coffee. We’ll have a nice lunch brought up in about an hour. Later, we’ll meet with some… well-informed people.” She winks at Emma.

“So, what’s your stake in all this, Timmel? Aside from the exceptional pay, that is,” Emma inquires, taking a seat on Lady Orosenn’s plush sofa.

Timmel sits down next to her and considers her answer for a time. “Basically, I’m learning how to work with a team. Haven’t done that very often, you know. But my survival will probably depend on it in the future. You see, I’ve travelled almost everywhere one can go in the Neath. You could say… that I’m looking for new, larger hunting-grounds. Have you ever heard of the High Wilderness?”

“I’m familiar with the Wilderness, to a degree. My brother probably knows more, of course. He’s always looking into the Correspondence, and the Avid Horizon and such. I prefer the mysteries of the Neath, though,” Emma replies.

“I’ve seen one or two people go through the gate at Avid Horizon. Stark mad, probably, but some of them have apparently come back—or sent messages. The big companies—you know which ones I mean—are all working on something. Ships to explore a sea more sunless.” She hesitates. “I’ve entered into a contract. Whenever they’re ready, I’ll go with them. Just imagine: they say there are dragons out there, and who knows what else. Dragonslayer, now that’s a title I wouldn’t mind carrying.” For a while, she stares into the void, lost in a reverie. When she snaps out of it, she looks at Emma and says, “Yes, call me ambitious. But you see, I know I’ll get bored down here one day. And people do such stupid things when they’re bored.”

“To each their own. But I hear those dragons eat time. At least, that’s what the rumours are. They say there’s one in the roof, but he’s dead. I’d be careful if I were you. Wouldn’t want to see you gobbled up,” Emma says with a chuckle.

“With the cider, I’ll stand a much better chance of surviving,” Orosenn says earnestly.

“If you go out to the High Wilderness, I won’t be with you to give you Cider all the time. But, that’s a ways off, I hope. Your place is very nice, by the way. Charming,” Emma comments.

“Your brother promised me a small bottle of Cider. That’ll suffice for a few emergencies. It’s all the payment I’m interested in, really. I don’t care about the rostygold. And if you think this is nice, you should see my townhouse, where I keep my collection of trophies on display.” She waves expansively at the room around her. “This is just a hideout. I guess I’m used to a degree of comfort. I was born the daughter of a queen, after all. But that’s a story for another time.”

“I should very much like to hear it one day. What shall we do until lunch arrives?” Emma asks, with a rumble of her stomach.

“Distract ourselves as well as we can, I guess,” is Lady Orosenn’s prompt answer.

“I can think of the perfect appetizer,” Emma grins.

(to be continued…)
edited by phryne on 8/9/2017

&quotOf course I would come along Noah. Someone has to make sure you don’t fall prey to roving bands of vicious urchins or angry-drunk poets. If we a chance, can we stop by the docks? I wanted to ask some of the old zailors if they’ve run into anything similar to the shade. As for getting a round, I do actually own a landau - it’s safer then walking together as a big group.

So, Lord Gazter are you coming along? I doubt Gideon isn’t going to let you hang around his private laboratory for too long.&quot

Lord Gazter is sitting down in one of the room’s curiously limited number of chairs, while wiping one of the lenses of his spectacles with a handkerchief. He raises the spectacles up to eye level and inspects the glass for any cracks, while quietly listening to Noah’s plan. The spectacles don’t appear to have been damaged from his fall at least as far as Lord Gazter can tell. He replaces his spectacles and returns the handkerchief to its pocket. Lord Gazter’s gets up from his chair and looks up at Noah.

&quotOf course I would be most interested in assisting you, friend.&quot Lord Gazter says with warm smile as he rests one hand on his cane. &quotI gladly accept the invitation to assist my new colleagues.&quot

Alexander after hearing Lord Gazter’s response, looks up at Lord Gazter from the wall, he was previously leaning against. The tomb colonist sighs, and starts walking over to the table. He takes up his scabbard and tightly places it back onto his belt. The tomb colonist then holds open his coat and returns the pistol back into its holster. He moves over next to Lord Gazter ready to follow behind him.
edited by Lord Gazter on 4/26/2017

The University. Henchard remembers his brother. Always experimenting, pen to paper, taking notes on what this or that did. His strained eyes watching bugs crawl and fight in the mud, fingers twitching notes into life. He remembers his sister, convinced the truth had already been discovered, her long nights by flickering candles, her endless array of books. The Shadow of the Wind. The Gospel of Eve. The Book of Sand.

He remembers his brother's tattered skin as they stumbled towards each other, flaps of skin thrashing in the harsh wind.  His eyes asking, not for help, but for Henchard to remember what went wrong.  And to improve.

He remembers the weight of his sister’s hand against his chest.  Lighter than air, pale as death.  He remembers the cold well, the sense of betrayal.  The scent of secrets crawling on the inside of his skin.  He remembers abandoning her.

From what little he had seen of the university, it was a beacon for people like them.  This place was bad enough, dull steel running to mystery machines, loud noises echoing from unknown sources.  Perhaps this was what his brother would have made.  Perhaps Henchard had no desire to find out how it would go wrong.

“I’ll leave the university to you,” he said, “I have no intention of interrupting a meeting with an old friend.  I wish you luck.&quot

edited by suinicide on 4/26/2017

It takes some time to find the kid. The corridors all look the same, and the cat is nowhere to be found. When Lyndon finally stumbles upon her, she’s in a room that might be a laboratory, tinkering with some kind of machine.

I knew I shouldn’t have left her alone.

“If you’re done experimenting,” he says, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “you should get ready. We’re leaving soon.”

The kid turns towards him with an eager look on her face. “Where are we going?”

You are going home, of course.”

“What? No! Why should I?” she complains, as tears start to well up to her eyes. “I want to help you, Randy! You always say I don’t do anything to help you, so why don’t you let me help you now?”

“Enough!” cries Lyndon, with a sharper tone than he had intended. He takes a deep breath and bends on his knees, lowering his eyes to her level. “Don’t you understand that I can’t keep you safe if you stay here? This isn’t a joke. You have to go back home.”

“Then why don’t you come as well?”

Lyndon sighs. “It’s… complicated, really, but I can’t leave yet.” He leans forward to hug her. I really hope nobody is watching us right now. “Listen, I’ll be back soon, alright?”

Before she can say anything, another voice speaks up. “Sawge!” The Sergeant immediately pushes the kid away from him.

Oh, for Salt’s sake! Can’t I have a moment of privacy every once in a while?

However, that voice doesn’t sound like any of the other hunters. Lyndon looks around, but there’s nobody in sight.

“Down hewe, Sawge!”

The Sergeant looks down, and finally sees a scruffy-looking Rattus Faber standing right in front of him. “Oh, it’s you, Scarmiglione. What are you doing here?”

“The Chief sent me. She wants to know what yew doin’, and why the little miss is hewe.” says the rat, glancing at the kid.

“Big Sis knows I’m here?” cries the kid in horror.

Scarmiglione nods. “Suwe. Did ya weally think she wouldn’t notice you wewe gone? The Sawge told us to keep twack of you, and we do. You might have slipped away fow a while, but we found you soon enough. We only let you get hewe because the Chief told us to let you go on.”

“Oh no, oh no, oh no.” murmurs the kid. “She’ll be super mad now. I won’t get any spore-toffee for months! She’ll take away my scrutinizer! And my books!” She looks up at her guardian. “Please tell her you said it was okay. Tell her you told me to come here.”

“As if she would listen to me, kid.” says Lyndon with a cruel grin. &quotYou made her look like a fool, and you know how much she hates that. You’ll have to make up to her somehow.” He turns to the rat. “Why do you show up only now? You should have come to me straight away.”

“’Tis not my fault, Sawge. Thewe’s a cat hewe… a nasty beast, that is. It chased me fow houws, and it seemed to be evewywhere. I thought I was done fow. Still can’t believe I managed to get hewe in one piece.”

“Oh, I see. Yes, that cat can be… in many places. At once.” The Sergeant shakes his head. “Anyway, it’s good that you’re here now. I need to send a message.” Lyndon takes out his notebook, and jots down a short note. Once he’s done, he rips out the page, folds it, and hands it to Scarmiglione. “I’ll carry you out of here, then make sure this gets to her.”

Lyndon scoops up the rat, and exits the room with the kid in tow. “I’ll get you to the roof. The cat won’t follow us there. I think we will leave in a couple of hours or so. That should give you and the others enough time to deliver the message.”
edited by Bertrand Lyndon on 4/30/2017

Excerpts from Agent Evensong’s notes: Part 1 of 3

Not published with the permission of the Foreign Office

Any found with this material will be fined by the Ministry of Public Decency.

Profile of Identity Used

Name: Maddy O’ Reilly

Appearance: Middle aged, flaxen hair, smashed nose, red birthmark on the left cheek. Dresses in rags, wears cracked spectacles. Favors bonnets with a floral theme.

Background: Was part of London when it fell, lost her husband to her a long illness that drained both her finances and her own health. Destitute and driven mad by grief, she took the streets. Has been an occasional face at the court of Topsy King, but that’s the extent of official affiliation that she possesses to any particular faction in London.

Contacts: Stanley Bowes, courtier at the Topsy King. Amanda Field, mercenary lockcracker for several gangs. Johnson Sharp, fence, Husun smuggler for the Gracious Widow. (Each of these have their own file, use those to refresh before donning the role.)

Outline of Group

Name: This group has no official name. The Shade Cult will be the title used in this report for the sake of clarity.

Nature: Religious – not officially affiliated with any church or counter church.

Membership: At the service, fifty people were counted. Upon interviews with other members, they indicated that the cult had been growing the longer the Shade stays in London. At the current rate, expect ten to twenty new members to join within the month if left unchecked. Membership is exclusively of the homeless population of London. There is no regard to gender, age, or physical health – they assume communion will strengthen the weak recruits.

Leader: Nominally the Shade, in actuality it’s the second in command Friar Crowley

Location: 4433 Sphinxwhisper. A small alley that trails off from the main street of Hangman Arch. It’s about two blocks away from the river and the edge of the occupied section of the Forgotten Quarter. The Shade Cult meets inside the basement of a rundown house – it’s been shuttered ever since the owner failed to return from a trip to the zee after months of madness and hunger. The Shade Cult avoids the main house, and uses the cellar door to enter. The door is not locked and there is no other security.

Purpose: To assist the Shade and his purposes, most notably the hunting of Drake Dynamo and friends.

Notable Resource: The communion ritual – to be detailed below.

The Communion Ritual
The main ritual of the Shade Cult is their communion ritual – not only is it display of their main theological point, and communal bonding activity, it also empowers the Shade Cult beyond their meager resources.
edited by Shadowcthuhlu on 4/30/2017

(Co-written with Phryne and Bertrand Lyndon/Barren)

Hansoms are scarce on the fringes of Watchmaker’s Hill, but cabbies can smell a fare a mile off. Almost as soon as Phryne, Drake, Bertrand, Jordan, Gideon and the Scorched Sailor leave the overgrown allotment, they find two cabs bearing down on them.

Drake flags down the first cab and quickly gets into it, directing the driver towards the University. The Scorched Sailor follows him in.

Gideon flags down the second one, all varnished black wood with an embossed logo - GORCHETT AND SONS: FOR ALL YOUR EXPEDIENT TRANSIT NEEDS! - on the side, and beckons for the others to get in. The horses snort and toss their heads.

“Mind if I ride with you?” Phryne asks him politely.

“By all means, take a seat!” Gideon says, and offers a hand to help her up. To the driver, he adds “To the University, if you please, my good man.” The black-clad driver nods curtly and waits as Gideon gets in.

Lyndon approaches the hansom. He is carrying his bag in one hand, and he drags the kid behind him with the other. Jordan is trying to drag him towards the other carriage, but the difference in their strengths is just too big.

“Aren’t we going with Bart? I want to go with Bart,” she asks.

“For the last time, no. And that’s final.” The Sergeant turns to the other two. “Looks like there’s still some room on this hansom. Would you mind if we join you?” his tone is flat, but that doesn’t really sound like a question.

Gideon leans out of the cab and says “Hold for one moment!” to the driver, who seems to be in an awful hurry. Then, to Lyndon, “The more the merrier! There’s still plenty of space for you two.”

Lyndon gives the inventor a slight nod before pushing the kid on the hansom. He loads the bag in the back before getting inside himself. “Thank you.”

Jordan pouts, but she stops complaining: she can tell her guardian won’t listen to her reasons, even though she doesn’t understand why.

Phryne smiles at Jordan, but since she is not sure exactly why the girl is frowning, does not start a conversation with her. Instead, she turns to Mr Stormstrider.

“You mentioned something about bad blood at the University? Sounds familiar. I did not leave that place on very friendly terms either.”

With a tug on the reins, the horses pull away. The hansom is filled with the rumbling of the wheels over cobbles.

Jordan seems to forget about her sour mood when she hears the word ‘University’, but she doesn’t speak up. Her attention is quite obvious, though. Lyndon, on the other hand, seems lost in his thoughts: he has taken out a small notebook, and he’s scribbling on it frantically.

Gideon smiles hesitantly. The University is a touchy subject for him, but it might be good to talk about it with someone who understands the vicissitudes of academic life.

“I was kicked out of the University twice - once from the medical school, and once from Benthic College. In my, ah, misspent youth, I dreamed of being a doctor. Helping people has always been something I’ve strived to do, although it doesn’t always go as planned. As it turned out, the lifestyle did not agree with me, and the senior doctors seem curiously resistant to experimental treatments.

“I realised after I was expelled that being a doctor wasn’t the only way I could make a difference. So I formed my cabal in secret - I collected the scientists too radical for the Ministry of Public Decency, the rebels and those too poor to stand a chance of studying at the University. We had our differences, but on the whole I like to think we were a positive force for change. And we had allies on the inside, too. Eventually, I managed to pull enough strings through bribery, coercion and a little blackmail, and I was able to start my own department in the University. It was highly illegal, of course, and it was kept secret. We set up in an abandoned basement on campus and performed our own research. Students deemed to be trustworthy would come to my lectures.

“It was only a matter of time before it all fell to pieces, of course. The Ministry sniffed out unsanctioned research before long, no doubt through traitors in our little group. When they came down, they came down hard. They burned our facility to the ground. Many of my closest friends died that day. It was only through sheer luck that I managed to avoid the fire myself. I was out at Caligula’s at the time, and when I came back with some fresh pastries for the staff I found the place surrounded by a cordon of Special Constables.”

He pauses, possibly to take a breath after venting so much at once. Has he said too much? He seems to be doing that a lot lately. It’s been a while since he’s spent this much time with people. Gideon casts a glance at Sergeant Lyndon - he seems to be barely listening, engrossed in his notebook scribbling. Next to the Sergeant, Jordan is watching him intently, taking in every word. She seemed about to applaud his story before he mentioned the end of his Department.

“After that, I was no longer welcome at the University. Nobody connected me directly to the group, although many had their suspicions. There was no way we could start up again - the Ministry took precautions. So I left. I still try to fight the good fight when I can, but recruiting is too dangerous. I’m on my own.”

Phryne is surprised to hear such a long story, but listens to it with interest. She also notices that the Midnighter sitting across from her is not as caught up in his own thoughts as he pretends to be.

“Very interesting, Mr Stormstrider. Thank you for sharing all this. I’m afraid I never was a real woman of science, myself - my desire to study the Correspondence was mostly fueled by practical concerns, and I daresay there are many in London who are far more accomplished readers of that language than me. In fact, since you mentioned bribery and blackmail yourself, I won’t hesitate to tell you that whenever I was in danger of failing in my studies, I made sure to get the grades I needed via… unconventional means. I was already an Agent of the Great Game then, you see, and had no problems uncovering useful information about the staff.

“In the end, of course, it was all for naught. Just when it seemed that my intrigues were about to pay off and I would become head of my own Department of the Correspondence, I become involved in an unfortunate affair that involved several persons of standing. Just a few months later, as a Midnighter, I would certainly have come out the victor in this business, but back then my sphere of influence was still limited, the whole thing was hushed up and I was, sadly, forced to leave without ceremony.”

Lyndon becomes stiff for a moment when the word ‘Midnighter’ is mentioned, but he keeps writing nonetheless. However, his expression seems even darker than before.

Gideon nods in sympathy. “Political, eh? The older professors cling to their positions like limpets. A lot of them look a bit like limpets too. I’m not surprised they made you take the fall. Once you have tenure, you’re immune to all fault in the board’s eyes, especially with the right connections.”

Phryne grins and nods at the limpet comparison. “Well, I guess institutions are like that everywhere. Nothing one can do about it really.” Very suddenly, she shifts her attention to Sergeant Lyndon. “Are you sure you’ve got it all right? Or shall we repeat something? Oh, don’t look at me like that. Like I can’t guess what you’ve been scribbling there!” Her expression isn’t as vitriolic as her tone though; she seems to regard this as a light joke.

“Oh, don’t flatter yourself, lady,” retorts Lyndon with a calm, icy tone. “I couldn’t care less about your academic life… or lack thereof. Unlike yourself, I tend to spend my time in a productive way.”

Phryne doesn’t seem hurt by the retort. Her smile only widens. “I’m sure you do. You know, I can guess pretty well as to your occupation, and I can see you squirming at the prospect of talking about it. Don’t worry, we’re just making light conversation, aren’t we? But yes, I used to be a Canon. Fun game it was, the Great Game, for a while. Walked away from it all in the end. But you, you’re taking it all so very seriously, don’t you?” She provides the Sergeant with another languid, almost cat-like smile.

Gideon holds up a finger. “Hold on. You mentioned being a Midnighter earlier, and now you’re talking like you’re involved in some sort of conspiracy.”

He narrows his eyes in suspicion. “‘Midnighter’ puts me in mind of a sinister midnight ritual where you dance around a bubbling cauldron and sacrifice innocent blemmigans. Are you in some sort of cult? Not that I have anything against cultists, of course. Some of my best friends are cultists. Why, Normal Edgar is the god of his own religion, although he’s only worshipped by stray dogs and the occasional rat. They’re very devoted.”

If she were still alive, Phryne would have trouble keeping a straight face right now. But in her current state, every facial expression, every outward display of emotion is an effort; therefore, no one can tell that she is almost bursting with laughter inside her head. She can’t wait to see what Lyndon is going to make of this.

Stay calm. Stay calm. She’s your Queen. It would be a poor choice to make her mad. It’s not like she’ll be around for long anyway: all that glowing doesn’t seem very healthy.

Lyndon makes an effort to smile. He only manages to make a bitter grin. “Oh, now I remember you. You’ve changed, but you must be the Amarantyne. I’m sorry, but not all of us can be dainty ladies looking for a fun story to amuse Lord Boredface or the Duke of Snorting. Some of us have to keep the Game moving.
“And no, we Canons are not cultists, and we don’t make a habit of sacrificing blemmigans - or anything else, really. We trade in the name of Saint Joshua, but I doubt most of us are actually devoted to him. Think of us as Freemasons of sorts.”

A short, weird laugh escapes Phryne. Non-breathing people shouldn’t laugh. “Yes, indeed I was known as Lady Amarantyne. I’m flattered you remember me. But please, I am sure you’re aware there are many different ways of keeping the Game moving. Like sharing the same funny story with Lord Boredface and the Duke of Snorting and seeing who challenges whom to a duel first.” She makes a dismissive gesture. “Ach, how I’ve tired of those intrigues. But Freemasons, that’s a curious comparison. I certainly never thought of it that way. Though I guess it fits your approach to the work. Anyway, I’m sure we’re boring this young lady here. What is your relationship with her?”

“With me?” says Jordan, who had been waiting for nothing more than an excuse to speak up. “Randy takes care of me. He’s my… guardian, I guess. He said he was my uncle when he took me in, but I don’t think Mum had a bro-” she stops as soon as she notices the look on the Sergeant’s face. If looks could kill, and Phryne hadn’t been already dead, his glare would have struck her down for sure.

“This is none of your business,” says Lyndon with a sharp, vitriolic tone. “You just need to know that I look after her. You won’t get anything more from me. Or her.”

“Sure, Randy. I don’t mean to intrude on your private life,” Phryne says with an arched eyebrow, and a wink to Jordan. “Anyway, Mr Stormstrider, I can assure you I have never sacrificed a blemmigan - innocent or not - in a bubbling cauldron. The odd weasel, certainly, haven’t we all, but no blemmigans.” It’s difficult to say whether that last part is a joke or not.

Gideon seems flustered by the string of revelations, and pulls out a ragged handkerchief to mop his brow. “That’s good to hear, although I don’t know if I’m relieved by the fact that you’re part of a secret society of spies rather than a blemmigan-sacrificing cult. At least the blemmigans will be better off.”

Gideon looks out of the window in contemplation. The rumbling of the hansom and the clamour of the city streets fills the long silence.

“Do any of you know this Florence we’re going to see? Drake said she was a scientist, but I’ve never heard of her,” he eventually asks, just to break the ice.

“I’m certainly not familiar with her,” says Phryne. “But I’ve been out of the loop for a while now. Maybe Rand-- maybe the Sergeant has heard of her?”

Lyndon shakes his head. “Not really. I’m not a scholar of any kind, and I do little business with the University.” He glances at the inventor. “I guess people like you rarely need the kind of services I can offer.”

“Oh, I’m nothing like the people at the University,” chuckles Gideon. “But I see your point. Not many covert assassinations in academia. Although that would explain the Professor of Antiquities’ sudden heart attack.”

“I might disagree on the matter of covert assassinations. But let’s not get into that. Shouldn’t we be there soon? The campus is not that far…” Phryne peeks out of the window. “This area looks familiar.”

Lyndon sticks his head outside the window, and yells to stop. “This is also where we part ways. The kid must go home, and I guess you people can go on without me. We’ll meet up once you’re done.”

The Sergeant and Jordan get out of the carriage; he stops to pick up his bag, then they head towards Ladybones Road together. Jordan glances at the hansom one last time before they both disappear behind a corner.

“Well, I say! Couldn’t get out fast enough, like. Hope it wasn’t down to anything I said?” Phryne exclaims.

Gideon frowns. “I think I’ll add ‘doesn’t work well with others’ to my review of the Sergeant’s performance once this is over. It seems like a useful thing to know for his future employers.”

The hansom rattles on. The spires of the University rear their heads behind the well-to-do houses of Ladybones Road, and the cab pulls over by the grand archway at the entrance.

“It appears we’ve arrived,” says Gideon, peering out of the window. He snaps his absurd goggles back onto his face. “Let’s be about it, then!”
edited by JimmyTMalice on 4/30/2017

The Investigation—Part 2 of 5: The Rooftop Conference

After lunch, they ascend via a trapdoor to the roof, from which Emma can see that all the penthouses in Covert Lane have access to the Flit. After climbing several stories on rickety ladders, they reach a well-secured platform. The view from here is as magnificent as a fall would be devastating. Across the Stolen River, the sigils flickering on the highest spires of the Bazaar are just at their eye-level.

The platform is filled with a gaggle of urchins from different gangs. There are Fisher-Kings, Naughts and Crosses (keeping a good distance between them), a Detachment of Eaves-Skippers from the Knotted Sock, and Colonel Molly herself with a few of the Regiment’s Irregulars, among them the older girl they first met in the kitchen a few hours ago. Peace is kept by the presence of Slivvy, the urchin’s—chief? Well, what exactly he is to them, nobody knows, but they all respect him.

“As you know, the Flit is always a good place to start looking for information about any shady activities,” Lady Orosenn elaborates. “I find it hard to get information out of the Topsy King’s courtiers though as they usually talk about as much sense as their ‘ruler’. I much prefer these lil’ guys, so I called for a conference.

“They can never hear enough of my Presbyterate Passphrases or Elder Continent Mysteries. Easy payment.” She shrugs. “They make their own passwords and songs and whatever out of it. You won’t believe how often I hear kids in London sing some garbled nonsense in one of the Elder tongues. It’s kind of uncanny.”

“I knew an urchin girl once. Her name was Cindy—she’s probably all grown up now. Clever kid,” Emma muses.

“Clever in any particular way?” Timmel inquires.

Emma shakes her head. “No, just bright. I helped her through hard times back in the day, when my brother Ernest still zailed the zee. Mid to late 70’s.”

“I zee. I see. Sorry ‘bout that.” Emma merely furrows her brows at Lady Orosenn, not dignifying the ‘joke’ with a response.

After Slivvy has managed to lower the general noise to an acceptable level, Timmel begins by asking the children what they know about the ‘Shadow of London’. Immediately, they all fall silent.

“They don’t like talkin’ about it,” Colonel Molly huffs eventually. “Many fink as it’s a ghost or sumfink. But I ne’er heard of a ghost lordin’ it over a bunch of unwashed loonies.” She glowers around her. The Regiment is fiercely proud of its standard of hygiene.

Emma leans forward, eager to hear more: “You know about his army?”

Colonel Molly shrugs. “Dunno whether they’re an army. I know there were some really weird guys came to the Flit a while ago. Good while ago. About the time we first heard stories about that Shadow or whatever it’s called. And these guys, they used to go on about their ‘great and benevolent master’. The Topsy King dint like ‘em, and they dint like ‘im back neither. Came to a fight ‘tween some of ‘em and some of the King’s, ‘n’ two of ‘em strange guys fell down from a great ‘eight. But quick as you know what, they come climbin’ right up ag’in, ‘n’ from thereon it gets really ugly. In th’ end, like almost a dozen of the Topsy King’s had to get at ‘em and cut ‘em to pieces cos they just wudnt die otherwise, ‘n’ they wudnt stop fightin’ neither. Loonies, like I said. Never seen any of that queer lot up ‘ere since.”

Lady Orosenn turns to Emma. “So, the Shade has been rebuffed before. And what did it do? Pulled back and went into even deeper hiding. It really values secrecy, and that kind of clashes with the arrogance it displayed in Seven Devils square. I think it’s not as strong as it would like us to believe. What do you think?”

“I suppose the assault in Seven Devils was a show—a display of power to drive us away,” Emma guesses.

“Could be,” Orosenn says, pondering. “But let’s not draw conclusions too soon.” She turns towards the kids again. “You said you haven’t seen any of these ‘loonies’ up in the Flit again. But what about down in the streets? You remember any beggars, hobos, whatever, acting in curious or strange ways?”

Several kids start nodding at once. Soon, stories are shared. Stories like the one about the thief caught stealing at a Spite market, who, when confronted by a patrolling constable, grabbed him and threw him through the air to bound away with great leaps, with nobody able, or willing, to follow. Interestingly, the same thief was then dragged out of the Stolen River a few days later, minus a head.

“Seems like the Shade didn’t like him drawing so much attention,” Emma whispers. Timmel nods. “Now we’re getting somewhere. The River, again! Seems like the Shade’s preferred method of getting rid of bodies. Meaning, they must be thrown in somewhere to the west of the city. Question is, from the northern bank, or the southern?”

Turning once more toward the assembled urchins, Lady Orosenn asks them whether they have ever observed someone throwing a corpse—preferably a headless one—into the Stolen River during the last few months. At first, she is answered only by shaking heads. But whispering starts among the members of the Crosses. A tiny, shy-looking girl is pushed forward. “G’wan, Mousy,” they say. “Tell that weird story you told us.”

At first, it doesn’t look like ‘Mousy’ will be able to say anything, now that everyone’s attention is so suddenly fixed on her. But after an encouraging smile by Emma, she takes a deep breath and begins to tell her ‘weird story’.

“‘twas like two months ago, when I acted as courier for a gentleman—and a very generous gentleman ‘e was, tipped me nicely, ‘e did—carryin’ a late-night message to the Bazaar Side-streets. When the job was done, I was sittin’ on a roof at the far end of that posh quarter, enjoyin’ a pie I ‘ad bought with me wages.” Pride and the memory of the pie visibly enliven her. “So I was sittin’ right across from the FQ—’s what we call the Forgotten Quarter—and I cud see somebody walkin’ towards me from quite a long way away, way deep in the FQ. Now, I wasn’t afraid cos ‘e was a sturdy fellow, and I was up on the roof. So I was curious. I mean, nobody ever goes in there, except for devils and ark-ee-ollo-jists. And when I discerned that ‘e was carryin’ somefink slung over ‘is shoulder, I bethought meself, ‘e musta been diggin’ up anteeks in the FQ. But when ‘e passed under a lamp-post, I cud see it was not a large sack ‘e carried like I thought at all, but a body! A dead body. Without an ‘ead.” She shivers, looking distressed now. Her English deteriorates accordingly. “‘e carries the ‘ead in one ‘and—was fair dangling it by its ‘airs, ‘e was!—‘n’ the body was slung over th’ other shoulder. Looked real grim, it did. ‘n’ I was scared some, but I’m always bit more curious as I’m scared, so I followed ‘im,” she concludes.

“Where did he go?” Emma prompts patiently, favouring her with another smile.

“All th’ way to the Stolen River! ‘n’ there ‘e throws th’ body and the ‘ead into the water, and a mighty splash it makes too. ‘e even watched fer a while to make sure it was sunk all right, and then goes right back where ‘e was came from. ‘n’ I followed ‘im all th’ way back ag’in, too, ‘n’ ‘e really goes right back into the FQ ag’in.”

“You didn’t follow him into there, did you?” asks Timmel. Mousy shakes her head. “Smart lass,” Lady Orosenn smiles. She leans over to the little girl and whispers an old Mystery of the Elder Continent in her ear. Immediately her face lights up and she silently repeats the words to herself over and over again.

Of course, now everybody wants some mysteries. The presence of Slivvy is invaluable here, as his word on which gangs deserve how much payment is accepted, if grouchily, by all. General happiness is ensured, however, when Lady Orosenn sends the girl from the kitchen down to fetch a few meat pies from the larder.

Leaving the hubbub behind, she says to her companion: “Seems your instincts were right from the beginning. Tomorrow, we’ll venture into the Forgotten Quarter then.” She shakes her head. “Like the proverbial needle in a haystack, only this haystack never looks the same from one day to the next. We’ll need an experienced guide, or we’ll spend an eternity walking in circles. Fortunately, I know someone who might be of help. But now, I’m going to have a bath.” She gives Emma a look. “You might have noticed the bathroom has a very large tub.”

Emma raises an eyebrow. “I think I might join you then.”

“Of course you will. Scrub my back and I’ll scrub yours,” Lady Orosenn says, beginning to climb downstairs. Emma hurries after her.

(to be continued…)
edited by phryne on 8/9/2017

Excerpts from Agent Evensong’s notes: Part 2 of 3

The Communion Ritual
The main ritual of the Shade Cult is their communion ritual – not only is it display of their main theological point, and communal bonding activity, it also empowers the Shade Cult beyond their meager resources.

Their service and theology draws from not recognized Church, or counter church (neither High Infernal or Low Republican). While I was worried that the Shade and his cult were being manipulated by foreign powers, there is no evidence of any of the usual culprits, such as the Dawn Machine. There is a smattering of elder country influence but nothing more then what the average Londoner would learn from yellow broadsheets. Of course, despite some similar themes, there is none of the Well Cult’s self-destructive tendencies that would mark them as such.

The ritual begins with the ceremonial “Eating of the Light.” This is done with barring the cellar door, shuttering the windows and covering any cracks (of which there are plenty due to the poor condition of the cellar.) Then, there is the “Light on the Mountain,” which is lighting a candle inside a torn red paper lantern that was salvaged from the Gracious Widow’s neighborhoods.

After the candle is lit, there is the “Airing of Weakness.” While this might start as a variation of a call and response confessions practiced in some churches into a frothing screed from the Friar Crowley, blasting the rest of London for wrongs committed against the congregation. Once the congregation is on the verge of a frenzy, he reins them back in with “The Cleanings of the Zee.” This involves having buckets of zee water splashed over you. It’s as pleasant as it sounds, no matter how badly you need a bath.

The next is the “The Arson of The Righteous,” a welcome relief after being doused in cold zee water. Friar Crowley lights braziers to pass around the congregation, only allowing you to enjoy the heat after vowing your eternal allegiance to the Shade. A more disturbing aspect of his the vows is a gift of a doll to burn. Dolls – made from scraps and stolen hats – that bear a crude resemblance to our hunting party. I made sure I was the new recruit that received the doll of my spouse. A rather superstitious and sentimental gesture in the field, but one must account for such eccentric impulses. The veteran members keep their silence during this ritual, watching the new recruits, seeing if any shrink under their glares. No one faltered, but old bloodstains on the floor did excite the imagination on the fate of those who did.

After the new recruits were accepted, and the congregation well-warmed, Friar Crowley began. “Unveiling of the Alter.” The cloth over the alter stands out from the rest of the grimy room, sucking in what little light there’s in the room – mostly likely a discarded cloak that Shade obtained at the Imaginary Hunt. Underneath the cloak is less exciting. The alter is a collection of junk that wouldn’t look out of place out of a relicker’s cart. A few items manage to stand out from the general chaos: the personal bible of Friar Crowley, a candle mountain made from melted down stubs, a rusty scimitar stolen from a drunken zailor, and six eyeless skulls.

With a brief blessing, Friar Crowley announced “The Consumption of the Mighty.” The congregation abandoned their seats, crowding around the alter, only kept from snatching the skulls by Friar Crowley’s own personal authority. Holding the skulls, Friar Crowley holds the skull out for each participant, making sure not to let them drink too deeply, lest they destroy their minds and bodies through blood and irrigo. Even the small amount of blood that was imbibed was a destructive combination. It was invigorating, making me feel like I just drunk a bottle of Broken Giant in a single swallow. I could feel it strengthen my body, even a body as frail as mine. In contrast, I could feel my mind weaken under the residue irrigo stored within the skulls. If it wasn’t for my long experience spent learning how to handle these mind-numbing effects, my mind would’ve been cracked open. Giving pleasure while corroding other memories creates a power addiction for those whose lives they prefer to forget. An addiction that leaves them open to be rewritten by The Shade’s right-hand man.

I have never been so grateful for Dirae Erinyes absurd expeditions into Cave of the Nadir.

As the congregation was still reeling as the last of the skulls are drained, Friar Crowley gives “The Words of the Master.” These are rather florid orders given to the congregation and rewards are given to those who stand out from the crowd. Most of these rewards are just rats on the string, but through the eyes of the Shade Blood it might as well be diamonds and rubies. With that, the euphoric crowd is released to continue the Shade’s work.
edited by Shadowcthuhlu on 5/1/2017

Tour de Spite, part 1: Dira Erinyes, David Henchard, Lord Gazter and his companion, Mr Hamilton, Edward Frye and Noah Rache scour London’s establishments of ill repute for news about the Shade.

As the carriage rattles along on the badly maintained cobbles around the Hill, a polite silence reigns. Most of the expedition members are not well-acquainted, even if they’ve been through much since the hunt started, and small talk does not seem forthcoming. After the fifth cough in the span of one minute, Noah decides the ice needs breaking if anything is to come of this venture.

“Lord Gazter, I would like to take this opportunity to offer my regrets for your recent treatment. The situation may have been surprising and suspicious to a group still aching from the last ambush they suffered, but violence is hardly a polite response to an offer of help. I hope we can put that behind us and work together on this mission for everyone’s benefit.” He considers which expression would be best for putting Lord Gazter at ease, but gives up upon realizing that forced expressions that do not reflect those around him are unlikely to garner sympathy. His face remains blank, turned towards the nearest window.

There is a silence for a moment. Lord Gazter’s bandaged companion’s silence especially is overwhelming.The only thing that breaks this silence for some time is tomb colonist’s own fits of coughing.

“I graciously accept your apology,” Lord Gazter replies, breaking the uncomfortable silence, in a surprisingly friendly and nonchalant manner considering the topic of conversation. “Although our first meeting was less than amiable, I do believe we can move beyond it and assist each other in our goal to root out this monster, we are currently hunting. I am sure that I can in my own fashion assist you in invaluable ways. So let us not let any doubts or matters of such insignificant proportions affect our efforts in our current endeavor.” Lord Gazter’s gaze moves from Noah to the others in the carriage with a smile upon his face.

Dirae Erinyes gives an approving nod while watching outside the window for any threats. “If you thought that was bad, you should seen what she was like to door to door salesmen. The big snake is for their safety as much as ours.”

Noah breaks into a smile. “I’m glad to hear it. Now, Erinyes, I believe you mentioned you had business at the docks? Since that’s rather on the way to Spite, I suggest that’s where we make our first stop. Did you have a specific destination in mind?”

“The Sad Spider Hall. It should be safe enough for the whole lot in there - most of the zailors there are too old for casual brawling.”

“Ah. Excellent. I think we’ve all seen more than enough brawling lately. Now that we’re on the subject of zailors - could you tell me what, exactly, is this trinity of zee-gods they seem to worship whenever deacons aren’t within earshot? I have never truly grasped the finer points of the theology, I fear.” The rest of the ride is passed in idle chatter, the tension in the carriage decreasing from something you can cut with a knife, to half-smiles of those not expecting to need knives in the near future, but still damn ready to use one if one of the crooks present makes a sudden movement.

(collab by me, Lord Gazter and Shadowcthulhu)

(Frye and Hamilton, I’ve sent you PMs with a link to the google doc for this trip, come leave your mark when convenient ;) )
edited by John Moose on 5/1/2017

Excerpts from Agent Evensong’s notes: Part 3 of 3

Profile of Friar Crowley

Current Alias: Friar Crowley

Past Names: Father Lloyd Hardy

Appearance: Middle aged man with a hooked nose. Has blue eyes, brown hair (balding), and a noticeable limp. Affects a high class accent. Not the easiest to impersonate but not impossible.

Personality: He is still an intelligent man, but most of his intellect is dedicated to feeding his paranoia and delusions of grandeur. He still dresses in his old professions clothes and often refers to himself as a religious authority. Neat and orderly, he keeps his personal lair clean. He spends most of his time working on his version of the bible – religious nonsense but maybe of interest to others in our department.

Past: A former defrocked priest. Previous posting was at St. Elizabeth’s Chapel for the Innocents. Friar Crowley claims that he had lost his position due to church being able to understand his “revelations.” Mere heresy is not enough of course. A brief investigation revealed that were a more complex scandal: a sprifer left to prey on the congregation, a tomb-colonist that was found buried in the walls and an angry hunchbacked bell ringer. The details are so far scant, due to church’s cover-up of the scandal and the current limitations of my current face. Before then, he was learning at seminary when London fell. His immediate family lives on Ladybones road, but they have not had contact with him in years. Apparently the shame was great enough for him to be cast out of the family.

Current Location: A shack near the Forgotten Quarter, five blocks from the murderous tea shop. It is circled on the map provided below.

Known Associates: The Shade, members of the Shade Cult, a devil by the name of Screwtape, and an agent of the Midnighter Aeon Madstar.

Known Goals: Unknown.

Resources: Mostly the bodies of the Shade Cult. He does not imbibe of the blood, so he does not possess the enhanced strength and toughness of his minions. However, his intellect his still intact. Beyond that, he has no notable material resources.

The last page is a map of the Forgotten quarter, with circled and crossed off locations.
The notes are simply: Following Crowley after the meetings, I have been able to ascertain that Shade’s lair is somewhere in the Forgotten Quarter. However, due to Friar Crowley’s paranoia and the disorienting intellect that rules the quarter, I lost him. Still, I have been able to deduce likely spots that would be safe for the Shade to rest.

The ease at which the hansoms arrived was rather troubling to Azoth. Taking the carriages here might not have been the safest choice, she thought, though under the circumstances, that was a necessary sacrifice. She stepped into the hansom, pressing a bag of moon-pearls into the driver’s hands. No further words were exchanged. She gestured towards a stalagmite in the distance, faintly illuminated by the lamplights of London. Taking a scrap of paper out of her pocket, she wrote a quick message for him: THERE IS STRENGTH IN TRAVEL. GO THERE. With a cautious nod and strange look, the driver pushed the horses into action. No further prodding was necessary. None of the horses had seemed pleased to be there and were happy to depart.

Cloaked and silent, Azoth left no question as to whether this was a secret. There wasn’t much use in keeping it a secret, of course, but it was good to keep the driver on his toes. Few dared ask questions to those whose very sight was meant to evoke dread. Even fewer in polite society would risk misidentifying her gender, and with the broad cloak and hood, there would hopefully be enough ambiguity to keep him silent and confused. Suffice to say, Azoth wasn’t in the mood for conversation.

As soon as they were on their way, Bastet emerged, curling up in Azoth’s lap. She opened her mouth to sleep, but a quick glance silenced her. Words were information like any other, and the less they released, the better. The journey continued on in silence but for the sound of horses and wheels on the cobbles with the occasional snort or whinny. Lighting a candle, Azoth took out a little red notebook, its cover grimy and torn. Not a word had been written in it, of course, but the signature mark of one of London’s journalists would surely keep minds turning. Was she a journalist? Could their secrets be pried away at a moment’s notice? A subtle sleight of hand, a flash of red for the eyes of a high society observer - that was a trick to keep them on edge. Keep their attention focused on her and the book, and they’d miss the real tricks around them: the hand sifting through their coats, the treacherous glances of one once thought a friend, the greater moves being made above them while the remain worried about that one tiny detail. Not that she was doing that now. She just needed something to write on.

She’d finished most of the messages by the time the hansom came to a stop. Bastet returned to her resting place as Azoth turned a couple pages ahead and took out another quill. With her left hand, she began writing a letter of thanks to the driver for taking her to such a remote place. With her right, she began scribbling what a layman could take as the Correspondence. Not moving from her place, she was sure the driver would come soon to find out what was taking so long. It was not uncommon for passengers to fall asleep in the darkness of the Neath, particularly those freshly come from the Surface. The thought sent a rush of emotion through her, carried on the back of old memories of light and the stars. Now’s not the time, she thought. Later.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the driver stepping down onto the rocks below. She continued writing, glancing over to see him approach. He appeared unarmed, at least, and any frustration was well-concealed. Such was the life of a hansom driver. She finished right as he arrived beside her, so that he could see both hands moving. She slid the note into his palms along with an ostentatious diamond for his troubles. Normally, it’d have only taken her a moment to write, but she had to get the handwriting right: YOU ARE DISMISSED. NOW.

She immediately began walking away, taking only a glance at his expression. He remained remarkably stoic, with only a slight twitch in his jaw giving any indication of movement. Was it amusement, or was it fear, or was it something else? She hoped the diamond gave enough hint to make it amusement. She could almost see the gears in his head turning, processing this new information. No longer was she a strange, silent customer on secret business to a mysterious stalagmite. She became a fool or a lunatic, probably a drunken showman or something. Just a weird customer pretending to be something they were not. Or maybe the hint hadn’t made it. Maybe the poor man thought he’d been ferrying around a dangerous, mysterious individual, or perhaps even … well, it didn’t matter much now that the hansom was pulling away. If all went well, no one would be visiting anytime soon.

She had to smile at that. I’m enjoying this too much, she thought.

As soon as the carriage was out of sight, she relaxed, and soon enough Bastet was nice and comfortable on her shoulder. There was still quite a walk to go. She sighed. Keeping secrets took quite a bit of effort, she had to admit. The ease at which the hansom had arrived here was convenient but slightly troubling. Taking the carriage here was the safest choice, and under the circumstances, that was a necessary sacrifice.

Whistling, she began the trek towards the lights.

High above, the temple loomed like an ancient god, cast against the lights of London in a shadowy profile; a relic of ancient times and cities long since crushed, preserved on the unseen fringes of modern industry. A ruined statue marked the entrance, a feathered serpent emerging from … well, some sort of fruit. It looked like a mango, but only if the sculptor had never seen a mango in their life before. Perhaps it was some strange fruit from the New World. It always bothered Azoth whenever she saw it, but there were more pressing matters at hand.

Ascending the carved stone stairs into the temple, the first thing that caught Azoth’s eye was the scarabs. Scarabs everywhere. They gleamed in the darkness like the firmament itself. Azoth’s first thought was that it was quite a pretty sight. Her second was that it would be a pain to clean up later. Either way, she continued on. Papers were scattered across the floor, dark with ink. So he’s returned, she thought with curiosity as she proceeded up to her study.

Seven candles were lit by her cot, burning brightly in the darkness. He’s definitely been here, she thought as she blew out two of the candles. Best to be safe with these matters. Approaching her desk, she set down her little red notebook and began tearing out the messages. Bats fluttered around her, drawn to her whistling signal, and she set the pieces into the motion. Informants in the Flit to try to find more about the Shade’s covert activities. Spies in Spite to find more about the Imaginary Hunt and its ties to the Shade. More across London would sift through rumor and hearsay for information. It only could cover so much - her network was too small for a truly comprehensive search - but any information would do.

She put away the little red notebook, nearly the entire first half torn out now. It was only then that she realized how tense she’d become. What have I gotten myself into? she thought once again, the enormity of the situation striking her. This was a dangerous path she was treading. It had been too long since she’d truly fought; she’d let herself grow complacent in her high tower.

Where had she set her weapons again? She could’ve sworn it was right here - no, that was in her home, not here. She’d left it there … when? She couldn’t quite remember. And where was her ancient hunting rifle? She’d taken it to Gideon’s place, she thought, or had she left it at the square? Why couldn’t she remember? Was she armed? She grasped at her side, feeling the hilt of a knife in her palm. Yes, she answered, I am. But when had her breathing grown so quick? When had these emotions - no, she just needed a deep breath, a moment to compose herself.

I really need to relax, she thought, looking around. It was as if all the repressed stress from the past few days had come crashing down right in that moment. She glanced over at her desk, an idea entering her mind. If she was to die in this fight, then she deserved at least a moment of joy before then. Taking the key from her pockets, she unlocked the bottom compartment, taking out a small box. Mirrorcatch. A warning was written across the box: Cut with moonlight.

&quotDon’t,&quot Bastet said, her fur rising. It didn’t take long for her to realize that the decision had already made, though, and in mere seconds she’d leaped into a drawer and closed it shut.

Blinding light engulfed everything, and just for a moment, the world seemed like the Surface again, bright and filled with sunlight. Shades of blue and green and yellow swam around her, and her breath caught in her throat. It was wondrous and beautiful, a reminder of days gone by. Smiling, she laughed and cried and shouted in a burst of suppressed emotion, longing and hurt and jubilation all joined in one burst of light. She remembered her days in the sunlight, the salt of the sea in the wind, the song of the birds in the trees. Her skin tingled and burned, yet the pain was only absorbed into the light, becoming one with it all. I am become Icarus, was her only thought. In one instant, there was light, and in the next came darkness, a black as pure as the abyss. Azoth knew better than to move. All she could do was wait for her eyes to adjust and to bask in the newborn memories of light. An empty box fell to the ground. The smile on her face began to fade, the vivid sensations fading away into the realm of memory, forever preserved by the sun carved into her skin.

Minutes passed. Light returned. The candles had gone out, but a mass of scarabs had found their way towards the light, illuminating the study. Stumbling a bit, Azoth straightened herself, pulling out the drawer Bastet had hidden in. The kitten crawled out, whimpering.

&quotI hate it when you do that,&quot Bastet said, crawling back into place.

Azoth only sighed, still caught in the last minutes of the afterglow. Returning to the staircase, she began the descent. There was one last thing to do here. In the distance, she could already see the violet dancing through the air, and she hurried down to its source. There was a reason she was there, something that lay at the edges of her memory that she couldn’t quite grasp. She just knew she had to be there, as if she’d told herself not to forget, no matter what.

The shrine rose from the darkness, shining with light. It was a simple place, veiled in irrigo, guarded by a lone statue of St. Joshua. It was the duty that Azoth had to do, her role within the Game. She was to be the redeemer, the performer of the rites of redemption in the name of St. Joshua. She believed in neither. Forgiveness and redemption was a long journey, one that could not be expedited by rites or rituals, and certainly not ones forgotten moments later. In the shrine, memory died, and with it everything to be learned there. Still, it was her duty, and this was the sacrifice she had to make to wade this deep into the Game.

She approached with caution, leaving Bastet behind. The familiar feeling of irrigo touched her skin, and soon it was engulfing her. The altar was before her now, dark and unadorned. It was here that she knew what to do. A whisper left her lips, a sound her memory could not hold, and from the altar she heard a familiar click, the sound of a whisper-lock unlocking. She approached as if in a dream, seeing the relics hidden in the altar before her. A violin and its bow, old and precious. An old reflecting telescope and shattered glass. Letters and correspondence dated back just over a decade. A pile of books on medicine and human anatomy. An old derringer, the name of a long-dead captain carved on its side. An iron necklace, a pearl embedded at its core.

No, that’s not it, she thought, shaking. There’s more than that. There has to be. She pushed these aside, looking deeper and deeper and - there. A stone that was more than a stone, tiny and yet the end of far greater things than the human mind could fathom. A weapon, a token. Punctuation. Such a tool was valuable, and such a word was dangerous. In other words, it was precisely what she needed.

Taking the stone, she looked again at the items and felt her memories resurface. Picking up the derringer, the shrine faded away around her and she was on the sea again, the old captain beside her. How many years had it been? It felt like a lifetime. There she was, young and naive, handling a firearm for the first time in her life, and -

• she snatched the memory before it disappeared, shutting the altar. The whisper-lock clicked and stood still once more. She stepped out of the altar, still clutching what she had taken. There. That was all. There was no more business to be done here.

She stepped out into the cool air, looking out at the moonlit London. The revolution marched on, and for a day, all light in the city had been extinguished, a tribute to the fallen who died to destroy the old, broken laws. Perhaps they would usher again in a season of revolutions, a new spring of nations to cast out the old regime and bring about the new. Perhaps tomorrow, the war in the streets could come to an end, and the reactionaries defeated. Perhaps -

• perhaps tomorrow, the Shade would make its move, take back the offensive. Perhaps tomorrow, there would be a breakthrough, and they would come just that much closer to victory. She blinked and saw London and its gaslights, industry toiling away under the watchful eyes of the Masters, ships docking with treasures carried from across the zee. Looking further into the darkness, she found her target, the dark markets of Spite. There was someone she needed to speak with.

The Investigation—Part 3: The Gratuitous Bathtub Scene™

(co-written with Drake Dynamo)

(Warning: slightly mature content)

Later that evening, in the generously furnished bathroom of Lady Orosenn’s penthouse…

Emma unbuttons her blouse. “It’s been too long since I’ve had a nice hot bath,” She says with a sigh. She casts her blouse off to the side, and discretely turns away as her partner descends into the tub. Emma removes her skirt, and slips off her undergarments before turning and approaching the tub.

Geranium- and sandalwood-scented water sloshes in the large tub, in which Lady Orosenn is already reclining, covered up to her neck in bubbly foam. She obligingly makes room when her companion gracefully slips into the tub behind her, then leans back and rests her head on Emma’s shoulder, looking up into her eyes—a change of pace for the tall huntress.
“This is pleasant,” Emma whispers, the aromatic steam coming off the water putting her at ease. Timmel reaches up an arm and runs her hand through Emma’s hair.

“How do you keep it so soft?” Timmel asks, and Emma merely shrugs in reply. “I wash it regularly. I brush it even more regularly,” she says, teasingly pulling on her lover’s woven locks before tilting her head and planting a kiss on Timmel’s forehead. “Now let’s get you cleaned up.”

Lady Orosenn obligingly leans forward, and when Emma succeeds in getting all that hair out of the way, reveals a well-toned back, crisscrossed with scars and scratches. Emma allows her fingers to lightly trail along the already familiar path of scars arcing across the huntress’s dark skin.
“I wonder how many of these really are old battle wounds, and how many are souvenirs from past lovers?” she asks with a tinkling laugh.

“It’s not always so very easy to distinguish between the one and the other,” the huntress quips back good-humoredly.

Emma picks up a rather rough-looking sponge that rests on the edge of the tub, and dips it into the foamy water, before running it along the other woman’s back, who takes a deep contented breath.

“A nice lunch, a meeting with kids, and now this… I must say, this is not what I had expected our “investigation” to be like,” Emma teases further.

“Believe me, I know the difference between stalking a beast, headhunting a human being, or just plain detective work,” Timmel murmurs, not wanting to be distracted from the pleasant feeling of Emma’s ablutions. “Of course, since you enjoy getting dirty so much, I’m sure you always find a reason to do so.”

“Getting dirty is all a part of the job,” Emma replies, dutifully scrubbing. “Back in my zailing days, if you weren’t getting dirty, you weren’t doing it right.”

“Zailing’s different,” Timmel mumbles, totally relaxed. She doesn’t want to get into an argument over this. “When I’m in town, I try to live comfortably. By the way, you’re really very good at this. Never had my back scrubbed so well.”

“All I’m saying is, sometimes to get results you can’t always do the easy thing, or the clean thing, or the right thing. But it all balances out, the law of averages. Every wrong will be righted, the meek will inherit the earth, a reckoning won’t be postponed. I’m certain you know how it goes,” Emma rationalizes, making sure to keep the sponge moist by periodically dipping it back into the tub.

“Whatever you say, love,” is Lady Orosenn’s only answer, displaying a total lack of interest in philosophy. “Do say when you’re getting tired of this.”

Emma raises her eyebrows in indignation, before giving Timmel a playful pinch on the bottom, prompting a yelp in response, and passing the sponge. “Your turn to scrub.”

“Now, I say,” Lady Orosenn playfully admonishes Emma, trying not too hard to hide her amusement. After a quick, slightly awkward shift of positions, accompanied by much splashing, they sit down once more, this time with Timmel behind Emma, who glances over her shoulder.
“How does the water stay warm for so long?” she asks. “Correspondence sigils engraved in the bottom of the tub,” Lady Orosenn jokes. Emma rolls her eyes.

After a moment, the huntress tosses the sponge out of the tub. Gently caressing the shorter woman’s pale back, she says, “That thing is a mite too rough for your lovely soft skin. I think I’ll rather use my hands, shall I?” As expected, no complaint is voiced.

Gently, softly kneading and caressing, she works out tension from around the neck before letting her hands trail lower, running them along the curve of Emma’s spine, a silky foam of suds between her calloused palms and her sweetheart’s smooth skin. A rush of pleasure flows down Emma’s backbone, the electric thrill of the touch eliciting a series of contented purrs. At the waist, Timmel takes a pause from the massage to give a playful tickle, prompting a giggle and a splash in response. Finally, Lady Orosenn’s hands reach the base of Emma’s back, and she wraps her arms around her companion, pulling her back into a warm embrace. Emma laughs, and wiggles around so she’s facing Timmel, before giving her a large kiss.

What follows is not meant for the innocent eyes of our esteemed readership… ;)

(to be continued…)
edited by phryne on 5/5/2017

Lyndon quickly makes his way through Ladybones Road dragging the kid with him. The Amarantyne and the inventor were probably offended by his sudden departure, but he doesn’t mind that as long as it keeps them from wondering about his destination.

Luckily, the street is bristling with activity, and it’s fairly easy to blend in, even with the kid in tow. The Sergeant sees couriers dashing through the crowd to run their errands as fast as they can, eccentric gentlemen looking for a way into the Museum of Mistakes, agents from the Embassy scanning the crowd for gullible victims still burdened with their souls. A Dapper Devil seems a little too interested in the kid, until a venomous look from her guardian persuades him that she isn’t worth his time, after all.

“Why did we leave the others?” asks the kid as they approach Hangman’s Arch. “Was it because of the lady?”

“Hrm?” grunts Lyndon. “Not really. Although I don’t like her kind too much.”

“Her… kind?” wonders the kid with an inquisitive look.

“People who cause trouble for the sake of being troublemakers. They’re usually too much of a hassle, no matter what they’re worth.”

As they leave Hangman’s Arch behind them, Lyndon heads down a narrow alley, making sure that nobody’s tailing them – either on the ground or from the roofs. They’re soon welcomed by a dreadful stink of urine that almost covers the faint smell of blood. Small piles of junk and filth are amassed in the corners, and an eerie silence looms over everything.

“Where are we going?” asks the kid, mostly to break the silence. Her voice trembles slightly. “Home isn’t this way, is it?”

“We’re not going home.” says Lyndon, earning a puzzled look from his ward. “At least, not the house you usually stay in. You’ll stay somewhere safer until this mess is sorted out.”

“And where is that place, exactly?”

“You’ll find out soon enough.”

Lyndon stops in front of a small door leading to a basement. It looks old, and its painting is missing in several spots. However, an intruder who tried to open it would discover that it’s surprisingly sturdy and the lock is very hard to pick. He opens the door and shoves the kid inside before closing it behind him.

The cellar is quite large, and filled with crates of all sizes. He doesn’t own the place, but the landowner lets him use it as a way to repay some old debts. Most of the goods there belong to him, although he wouldn’t admit that in front of a constable. He stops before a particularly large crate with a brand on top: ‘PROPERTY OF MR WINES – HANDLE WITH CARE’. The lid has already been opened, so he helps himself to a bottle of wine – Greyfields 1868, freshly stolen from Mr Wines’ henchmen. He puts the bottle in his bag and heads to the back of the room.

The trapdoor is where he remembered it, hidden in a corner behind the last row of crates. A gust of reeking air mixed with dust makes him cough when he opens it. Nobody has used that access in years – one of the reasons he chose it. Lyndon beckons the kid to enter the opening. “Come on, let’s go. They’re waiting for us.”

“What?” says the kid, making a face. “No way. That place smells like… poo.”

“Old sewers tend to have that smell, yes. Now move. We don’t have all day.”

The kid sighs before reluctantly descending the short ladder that leads to the sewer with her guardian right behind her. The conduit they reach has been damaged beyond repair by the Fall, but it can still be used to move around. Lyndon whistles a threnody that echoes for a while before fading down the maze of tunnels.

“Oy! Oy! I’m ‘ere, no need t’make all th’racket!” complains a voice from the ceiling. A pair of yellowish eyes glow from the top of a large pillar.

“Then come down, Graffiacane.”

A huge Rattus Faber sprints down the pillar, and it’s at their feet in a moment. Its body is covered with scars and the look on its muzzle is fierce. That rat must have been though a lot in its life, and it doesn’t seem to fear them in the least. “Follo’ me, apes.” it says, before darting down the tunnel.

No human could find the right path in the maze of tunnels and dead-ends Graffiacane leads them through, but the rat knows every corner of those sewers, and its smell guides it when its memory fails. They reach their destination surprisingly fast. Graffiacane stops in front of a rusty ladder and points at the exit at the top.

“’Tis where y’want t’go.” it says before disappearing in the shadows.

Lyndon and the kid exit from another trapdoor, ending up in the basement of a house. The Sergeant opens the door and heads to the living room with the kid behind him. When they arrive, they find a red-haired woman and a young urchin who were waiting for them.

“You’re already here, good.” says Lyndon with a sharp nod.

“It’s nice to see you too, Bertrand.” retorts the woman with a bitter tone.

“Good mornin’, Sarge.” mutters the urchin.

The Sergeant takes the message he had written on the hansom and hands it to the woman. “I have no time for your sass now, Maltese. This is what I need you to do. You, Kip,” he says, turning towards the urchin. “switch clothes with the kid, quick.”

Kip’s eyes become wide beyond belief. “W-Wif her, Sarge? N-no. I can’t. I won’t put on a girl’s fings.”

“Me too!” agrees the kid. “His clothes stink! I won’t put them on!”

“Yer sayin’ I stink, you snotnose?”

“Of course, stinky-pants!”

“Poophead!”

“Potato-brain!”

“Enough!” growls Lyndon. “You’ll switch clothes, and you’ll do that right now, if you know what’s best for you. You,” he says to the kid. “will do it because I say so. And you,” he turns to the urchin. “will do it because nobody will protect an oath-breaker but me. To the bathroom, the both of you!” The two children head to bathroom with a look of dread on their faces. They both give the Sergeant a dirty look as they pass him by.

“Don’t you dare sneak a peek while I change, blockhead.” mutters the kid under her breath.

“As if I’d e’er look at yer goods, flat-chest.” retorts the urchin, showing her his tongue.

“Is this really necessary?” asks the Maltese as the children exchange their clothes. “I don’t think anyone could follow you here, Bertrand, so why are you forcing them to do this? Do you enjoy making kids miserable? Or are you really this paranoid?”

Lyndon lights a cigarette and shrugs. “Better safe than sorry.”

The Maltese sighs. “There’s no hope for you.”

It takes a while for the children to exit the bathroom. When they do, they’re both as red as beets and they both wear the clothes belonging to the other. If it wasn’t for the different length of their hair, they could be mistaken for the other from a distance.

Lyndon turns to the Maltese. “Do you have what I asked for?”

The woman nods, handing him a shoddy brown wig - stolen from the Mahogany Hall, judging by its reek of cheap wine - and a hair tie. The Sergeant ties the kid’s hair in a crude comb and hides it under the urchin’s battered hat, then he places the wig on Kip’s head. He takes a few steps back and studies them. “Heh, good enough. We don’t have to go far anyway.”

“Why are we doing this, Randy?” complains the kid with a whiny tone.

“Safety.” answers the Sergeant. He turns to the Maltese. “Take her back to the other entrance, wait for a while, then follow my orders. Kip and I will head to the Dancing Satyr.”

“Understood.” says the Maltese. She takes the kid by her hand and guides her out of the room.

Lyndon picks up his bag turn to the urchin. “Are you ready?”

Kip frowns. “I really ‘ave t’go out lookin’ like this, Sarge?”

“Don’t worry: nobody will recognize you.”
edited by Bertrand Lyndon on 5/12/2017

The Investigation—Part 4 of 5: A Particularly Old Friend

Very early the next morning, Emma and Lady Orosenn leave Covert Lane for Spite; they’re walking since it’s not far, and no hansom would take them to the ill-reputed area they’re headed for anyway.

They are both well-armed: apart from her ever-present harpoon (Emma already supposes she might start to feel jealous about it at some point), Timmel Orosenn has put several knives of various shapes and sizes into her belt, and provided Emma with ammunition for her derringers. Emma looks quite dashing with two cartridge belts slung around her slender waist. &quotI feel like Annie Oakley,&quot she jokes.

Not far from the famous corner of Alley Alley and Blue Ghost Street, the two ladies turn into an unusually well-lit side-street, known to the locals as Exiles Row. Almost blinded by the abundance of gaslight, Emma soon realizes that this particular alley seems to be almost exclusively populated by foreigners from the Elder Continent—everyone she can see is dark-skinned, making the paleness of her own complexion almost compete with the streetlights.

At first glance, the cramped buildings look like everywhere else in Spite—dirty, shabby, derelict, barely holding together. But a closer look reveals that—while certainly dirty and shabby—they’re not in very bad repair. None seem in danger of collapsing. In fact, she can see a few people engaged in repair works on the roof of a house not far from them.

&quotAnd here we are in another part of London you’ve probably never seen before,&quot Timmel says, smiling.

“There isn’t a lot I haven’t seen in my travels, but this is certainly new—who are these people?&quot she asks. &quotI didn’t know so many of your compatriots lived in London.&quot

Timmel turns to Emma, an atypical expression on her face—melancholy? &quotVery few of them are my compatriots exactly. Umryg is small and has always remained fiercely independent. Who are these people, you ask? Why, outcasts, refugees, maimed ex-zailors. Adventurers, malcontents, stubborn pig-headed freedom-lovers who will prefer a free life—even if it’s a hard one—over bowing their heads before anyone.&quot She pauses.

&quotThese people take care of each other. Those you can see selling mushrooms or their crafts are mostly maimed zailors, adventurers who lost limbs or eyes somewhere on the Unterzee and were too proud to return home thus disabled. But others—especially among the political refugees—are in fact quite well-to-do, though they don’t dare settle in a more fashionable part of London. Afraid of drawing attention to themselves; the Presbyterate’s reach is long. You’ll even find the odd Varchaasi here. Rebels who were fed up with life in the mirrored city, caught in a strange mixture of pride and regret.&quot She hesitates before continuing. &quotI expect you know about the Presbyterate’s policy that no one shall live more than a thousand years. Well, not everyone succumbs to that gladly. Some of the people living here… they’re so old, it’s almost unbelievable.&quot She chuckles. &quotThey have few problems of making a living. With a life experience like that, it’s easy to make a convincing fortuneteller, clairvoyant, or author. In fact, some very successful writers of exotic adventure novels live right here—they all publish under pen names, of course.&quot

“And if they’re so ancient, how old does that make you?” Emma inquires.

“I’m still relatively young, all things considered. Just a little under one hundred,” the monster-hunter states nonchalantly.

“Well, that’s certainly something,” Emma remarks.

Lady Orosenn asks a passing woman something in a language Emma doesn’t understand. The woman points up to the roof where work is being done. Timmel laughs, thanks the woman (supposedly), and then shouts something up to the roof. Someone answers.

&quotHe’ll be down shortly.&quot This might be the first time Emma sees Timmel Orosenn looking a little uneasy at the prospect of meeting someone. &quotThe Obstinate Nidahrian is one of those who’ve fled the Presbyterate—quite a long time ago in his case. The price on his head is astronomical by now. He has accompanied dozens of expeditions into the FQ.&quot Both women have taken to using the urchins’ abbreviation by now. &quotHe actually used to live there when it was still called the Fourth City.&quot

Emma raises her eyebrows. &quotWell, I can see how that would help him know his way around there better than most.&quot

The Obstinate Nidahrian looks like a sprightly septuagenarian. His handshake is still strong, as Emma can’t help but notice with a wince. He actually takes a small bow before Lady Orosenn, which quite embarrasses the huntress, who treats him with a respect bordering on awe.

In as few words as possible, Lady Orosenn relates the story of the Shade to the old man. She is tactfully enough to leave out the information that the man responsible for its creation is the brother of her companion. The Nidahrian had heard of the “Shadow of London”, but paid little attention to it, thinking it just another take on Jack-of-Smiles. He is horrified at hearing that this being originates from the Elder Continent.

“Things like that are what’s bound to happen with all these foreigners traipsing around there,” he says, shaking his head. “You think this ‘Shade’ hides in the Forgotten Quarter? I will help you then, of course. Do you want to leave immediately?”

They do indeed.

(to be continued…)
edited by phryne on 5/17/2017

Tour De Spite, Part 2 - a collab post done with I, Suinicide, John Moose, Lord Gazter, Drake, and Jimmy Malice. Edit: Also Hamilton and Frye were part of the post as well.

The Sad Spider Hall tries its hardest to do the name justice. A crooked inn, located where the business and money were some twenty years ago, welcomes the group with the creaking of a rusted sign in the shape of a spider, hanging above the door. The paint coating has missed its five last appointments with a brush, not that the clientele is likely to care. Outside the door a ragged pile of clothing with a beard and a pegleg sits on a stool, sipping from a bottle of something hopefully related to ethanol. As the group follows Dirae in through the door, the bearded apparition spits exceedingly loudly on the cobblestones, but few present know whether this is a deadly insult or the accepted local form of greeting.

“”Hail all you scoundrels and zee-devils! I’m hunting a mighty creature and want to know if you have met it’s kind before!”

“Sounds like a Jack to me,” puffed one of the scarred captains, his pipe the white of zeebeast bone. “At least it started as one. I know more about Jacks than any soft Londoner and mindless monster hunter. You might think they are a strictly London problem, but I can tell it it’s from the damned living shores of Polythreme! I was hauling a shipment of goods - including a crates of knives - when I lost my whole crew to them. No, not one Jack - they all went Jack at once. I can tell you, no lifeberg measures up to turning around from measuring the scattering stars to see that your trusted crew has circled around, knives in hand. It was a tight spot, dodging around their knives trying to keep my important bits intact. Lost my ear here, but that ain’t an important bit. I finally managed to lock myself into the brig, where even their damned fury couldn’t break down the door. It was a harrowing three days, listening to my crew slaughter each other in a frenzy. I’ll never forget those screams and laughter. Even worse was realising that I only had a nearly empty barrel of rum and handful of hardtack. My ship was eventually found by one of the Navy’s ships, which is the only reason I didn’t die from the the next Wax-Wind that came to sink the ship. So, that’s all you have there - just a fancy Jack.”

“Ha! You call that a story?” scoffs another captain, younger and skinnier but no less grizzled, hobbling forward on her peg-leg. “Pah and pshaw, I say! I’ve heard more tragic tales from a poet who never left Veilgarden in his life!”

She glares around the room at her crew, who were cheering and nodding along to the last story, and they abruptly put on scowls and raise a half-hearted jeer. A few small scuffles break out between particularly drunken zailors from separate crews.

“I’ll tell you a story that’ll chill your bones proper. There’s uncounted horrors out there that look like people, and scarcely two years past I ran afoul of the worst.”

“It was seven days north of Whither and we were running low on supplies. The old cap’n was consumed with a madness like none I’d ever seen. He had this notion, y’see, that he had to go North, and damn the consequences. He’d got half the crew to go along with him, and as we zailed North it just kept getting colder. By the time we realised what he intended, it was too late to turn back. The navigator scribbled over all his charts: NORTH. NORTH. NORTH. NORTH.

“Some of us tried to fight back. Some of us died, thrown out into the zee or crushed by their inhuman strength. Some of us were less lucky, and got eaten. There’s precious little to eat in the frozen North, and the madmen were consumed by hunger worse than anyone else. They ate and ate their old crewmates until there was nothing left, and then started in on each other.

“If I were bragging like the rest of you like to do, I’d say I fought them off single-handed. But I didn’t. I locked myself up in the hold and waited for death to come. If you haven’t been North, I don’t expect you to understand. The cold there seeps into your marrow. I just huddled there in the freezing dark, listening to those madmen screaming and feasting. There were some supplies left in the hold to keep me going, but they wouldn’t last for more than a week or two.

“On the fourteenth day out of Whither, the cap’n came for me.

“He wore fingers on his belt and toes on his hat. His beard was crusted with frost and matted with blood. His own fingers were turned black by frostbite, and he looked half dead, but there was a mad light in his eyes that kept him going. He still looked like my old cap’n, but he was something different by then. Something not human.

“The cap’n looked at me through the porthole in the hold door with his mad eyes, and then he punched through the glass with his bare hands and turned the wheel to open the door. I slashed at him with my sword, but it was like cutting ice. He kept coming, and I ran as far as I could, but there was nowhere to go. He pinned me down, and bit into my leg, tearing out flesh like a wild animal. I almost passed out from the pain, but I kept fighting.

“I don’t remember much after then. I think I got loose of him and ran to the deck of the ship. I think he came after me, and he was fast, but he was still half-frozen and I was faster. He charged at me, and I tipped him over the rail and into the frozen zee. And that was the last I saw of him.”

She thinks for a moment. The crowd is subdued. “I don’t know how I got back to London. The ship was stuck in ice, and there was no coal to start the engine anyway. I remember… an old woman in a little rowboat, on the twenty-first day. But that can’t be possible, can it?

“Anyway, when I got home, the doctors said the bite the cap’n gave me was infected. By that time it had been weeks, and the gangrene had spread throughout my whole leg. So they had to cut it off.” For all her bluster, the captain seems drained by telling the story. She returns to her table and nurses a pint glumly. “No monster like man himself, right? I don’t know what the cap’n meant to find in the North, but all he found was death.”

A haggard zailor raises his hand. He is missing his right eye and his left ear. Several fingers also appear to be gone on his left hand.

“I have seen something out of a nightmare. Have any of ye heard of… the Shiitake Death Cap?!?!” The zailor exclaims. There is no response.

“I see I will have to inform ye of this dread menace. The Shiitake Death Cap is a pirate ship, fashioned from an offshoot of the Uttershroom, and crewed solely by Blemmigans,” The haggard zailor explains, “and I’ve seen it with me own eyes. Aye, I was a prisoner aboard it for some number of weeks. Twas 20 years ago now, I reckon, when the steamer I worked on got dangerously close to the Uttershroom. Now, I ain’t one to discriminate, but them folks on that fungus have got some queer ways.” The audience is not even attempting to feign interest.

“Twas late, and we smelled it before we saw it: damp, and musty. Then we saw it: a massive upside-down mushroom! Stalk towerin’ into the air. We tried to turn and get away, but it was too fast, propelled by strange forces. And then, we they were close, they threw long tendrils onto our ship, and pulled us in. And then, they descended! Dozens of them! Blemmigans carrying pistols and cutlasses! And they cut through our crew, killing folks right and left. And then, once they had the captain, they stopped killin’ and took who was left prisoner. We was brought into the hold of their ships, and they started to- change us. Layerin’ spores into our skins, so we would become carriers, and bring the Uttershroom across the zee. But after a couple weeks, we staged a mutiny, and leaped from the ship. Most of the other crew drowned, but we that was left washed up on the shores of Mount Palmerston. We used the fire from the mountain to burn away the spores, that’s how I lost me eye, me ear, and me fingers. So I’m warnin’ ya- stay wary of them mushroom folk,” the Zailor finishes. He breaks into tears and shuffles off to a dark corner to weep. No one seems to care as it has nothing to do with the Shadow of London.

“Strange and terrifyin’ beasts o’ the zee be one thing, but one has nevar’ known true fear until ones seen a swarm o’ bats!” shouts old sailor wearing nothing but rags and with a speckled beard that reached down to his gut. Laughter erupts out of the zailors around him. The man scowls at them. “Oh, you be thinkin’ that I’m talking about them bats ye’ see around London. No, them bats is nuffin’ compared to the ones that I’ve seen.”

“We was a few days outta port headin’ for Venderbright, when they found us. Yah see, they came up outta tha’ zee around the ship. There was so many of em’ that they engulfed all of the crew, and these were no ordinary bats. I tell yah they was the size o’ a man and they started to take the crew and eat em’ while they was still kickin’ and screamin’. If it wasn’ for my cleverness I would a’ve never survived. Yah see, I knew that they didn’ seem to be in the water any longer now that they were outta of it. So I dived into the zee an’ waited for the swarm to disperse. In the end there were only three o’ us left.”

The old raggedy zailor takes a swig of his mug, and another zailor begins to argue the ownership of the mug. The old zailor tries to tell another story about how he obtained the mug from the Fathomking himself, but was unable to start his tale as the other zailor’s fist had impacted his jaw. A few seconds later they are at each other’s throats and rolling around on the ground. The other zailors watching this began laughing loudly at the sight before them.

A skinny captain with an old and faded coat of the admiralty over his woollen jumper jumps up from his seat. His rodent-like face is frozen in terror. &quotDon’t you see!&quot he screams over the stories. &quotIt’s here! The Thief of Faces! We’re all dead and gone, you hear me! I have to… The adm… The… Someone has to know!&quot At this, he runs out of the inn with a rather impressive turn of speed for someone his age, leaving a half-full pint behind. His table-fellows quickly adopt the poor lonely drink, being apparently used to such outbursts from the man.

“So” the bartender interjects, “were you lot thinking of payin’ for a drink, or did you come here just to rile up the old farts?”

Noah gives out a wan smile, and approaches the voice. “It seems like we’ll be here for a while, should we want to find out whether they truly know anything. Strangling Willow, if you would be so kind.”

As the zailors regale the party with fanciful tales, no one notices as Lord Gazter quietly walks out the door. Lord Gazter is not one to go into things blindly, and as such he had sent a message as the party was preparing to leave for this venture. He needed information. Lord Gazter makes his way to a nearby warehouse.

The outside warehouse itself was made of old, dull brick, many of which were cracked and chipped, and an oddly pristine roof, but Lord Gazter has no interest in the history of the warehouse or the state that it was in his business was with familiar gentleman leaning up against a sturdy section of the warehouse’s wall. As Lord Gazter approaches the figure grins and tips his bowler hat. Lord Gazter offers a cordial smile in return.

Henchard watched the crowd gather around them, each member boasting of impressive feats and battles. All lies no doubt. The real survivors, the ones with the true stories, would hang back, drinking their memories away. When a pair of overzealous zailors fell into blows, Henchard slipped away to find them.

Three zailors had stayed where they were. The first lurked in a shadowy corner, covered in darkness, only their hand was visible, and then only when they ordered another drink. Probably a teenager, hiding out to sneak some alcohol.

The second was a scarred lady. She saw his look, and returned a glare with her remaining eye. No doubt she would have some tales to tell. But it didn’t seem he would get them easily, not with how much time they had.

The third was an old man. Nearly bald, his remaining white strands hung down his chest, sticking to his skin as he brought a trembling hand to his mouth. A man that old had some stories to tell, no doubt.

Henchard sat down opposite him and hesitated, noting the tangy smell in the air. But he continued on regardless.

“Do you have any stories?” He asked, and the man set down the shaking cup between them. Now Henchard could see what he was drinking. Curdled milk. The man’s mouth stretched into a smile, teeth like a forgotten cemetery. Broken by time and vandals.

“Ay’ll ‘ave a story fer ya.” The man wheezed, saliva sticking to the tips of his hair. “When I were a lad, me crew stopped at an island, one not on ‘ny maps. ‘ere were food there. Food ‘ike you ‘ave never seen. Mounds of it!” The man’s hand slowly hit the table, not even rattling the milk. “An’ in a’ center of it all. ‘ere was a well. Pictures carved all ‘round it. Mountains. Strange buildins’. Nothin’ like Ay’ve seen befo’. When we ‘ad eaten ou’ fill, ‘ey came from the well. Grey slime, crawlin’ over ta’ walls. Crumblin’ in on themselves as ‘ey flowed towar’ us. ‘ey were disgustin’, ‘ike somethin’ you ‘ave never seen. Somethin’” He trailed off, lifting the curled milk, “like,” another pause as he readjusted his grip, “’is!” He threw the milk where Henchard use to be, who noticed what the man was planning a while ago.

“What was that for?” Dirae Erinyes whirled from hovering over drunk zailors, listening the stories that came up. Their heavy tread creaked the abused floorbeds as they approached behind Henchard.

The man’s bones creaked as he tried to look at Dirae.  His lack of flexibility left him looking halfway between them and Henchard. “‘Nother one of you fellers, comin’ to bo’er an ol’ man lef’ in ‘is cups.  Nothin’ better to do ‘an ‘eer at ‘em.”  His lips curled as he tried to spit at them.  It fell on the floor between Henchard and Dirae.  “You can’t do anythin’ to me ‘ere.  Nothing but ‘eer and laugh.  Now git’ I’m gettin’ sick of you a’ready.  You an’ your brigh’ eyes.”

Dirae Erinyes arms shoot out, faster then the man can respond. Instead of a punch or slap, they instead curl around his collar, lifting him out of his seat. Dirae Erinyes tone still remains that of annoyance.

“Look, I don’t know what bat got into your bonnet, but you ain’t going to speak to me like that. I’ve proved myself on the zee as much as any man here - Polythreme, the Iron Republic, Apis Meet, me and the Living Leviathan have seen them all.”

The old man laughed, a sputtering uneven thing. He poked a boney finger at Dirae. “Zailin’ the zee don’t make you a zailor, anymo’ ‘an me bein’ ‘ere makes me a barman. Now git,” the wet boney finger trembled on their neck. “Git befo’ ‘ey make you git.” He nodded to the rest of the bar behind Dirae, not that he could see them.

Henchard hovered nearby, torn on whether or not to intervene. He hoped Dirae knew what they were doing, and weren’t just giving in to their pride. He suppressed a shudder at the slimy spot he knew the man’s finger would leave. Everyone knew old men were either wise or mad. It looked like this one fell on the wrong side of that divide.

“Well then, why don’t you prove you’re a zailor then? Don’t think of I’ve heard of you before, Captain ?”

At the bar, Noah finished his drink and got up, making his way towards the front door while looking as blind and harmless as he can, hoping that punching him would mark the aggressor as a sissy. His left hand squeezed a knife’s handle in his pocket, in case it wouldn’t.

The man’s finger jabbed into Dirae’s neck, again and again. Wondering why the stranger hadn’t been thrown out of the bar yet. “I’m Captai’ Croker. An’ if you’ve seen ‘alf a wha’ you claim to ‘ave, you still wouldn’ta seen a quarter a’ wha’ I’ve seen.”

“Well, Captain Croker, I’ll show you how a real zailor fights!” Dirae Erinyes lifted him just bit higher and left him dangling from the tusks of a stuffed unsightly zeelarus head mounted on the wall. “Is that view good enough?”

Croker sputtered with rage, bony limbs windmilling as he tried to grab onto Dirae. “Put. Me. Down.” His eyes darted across the room, focusing on blurry shape after blurry shape in panic. Henchard stepped behind Dirae, ready to intercept the zailors that would no doubt be coming.

Dirae Erinyes turned to face the crowd. “Well, there’s no use crying over spilled milk. Which of you want to be first?” Their booming laugh echoed through the bar. Henchard is less inclined to gloat, nor does he have time since he is between Dirae Erinyes and the pair of bruisers who just took the bait. He jumps to the side, a low kick at the shins sending them crashing - the beer soaked floorboards are not doing them any favors.

Not that Dirae Erinyes has escaped attack. As the bruisers fall, a sailor that is more tree then man flies over their heads, his hook hand firmly wedged into the chandelier. “For the Fighting Cellapod!”’ is drunken warcry as he drops down, showing that his other fake arm is not a cheap hook, but a shiny scimitar. Dirae Erinyes decides not to use any of the weapons that they are undoubtedly carrying but instead go for something flasher.  In this case, something flasher is large stuffed zee-marlin. (For those who do not know, a zee-marlin resembles a marlin just as much as a gecko resembles an alligator).  The sound of metal on equally tough emblemed flesh sets the beat, as the piano player switched from the usual evening program of melancholy Irish love songs to upbeat fight music. 

Edward turns from his wine when he hears Dirae’s cry, and subtly moves toward the door with his hand on the hilt of his sword. Though he normally doesn't run from a fight, he definitely would rather not be in a tavern brawl, being not very good at unarmed combat, and not wanting to do any permanent damage to anyone.

As Edward makes his way towards the door, a zailor notices him trying to sneak out, and charges toward him with bottle in hand. Edward draws and sword and clumsily slashes the bottle out of his hands. “You coward!” the zailor shouts, now trying to punch him, but instead just getting his fists scarred from Edwards sword. “Fight me with yer fists, you cowardly scumbag!”. Edward sheathes his sword, not allowing himself to be called a coward, and then get punched in the face and falls down, unconscious.

Mr. Hamilton has been mostly staying in the corners of the bar, while occasionally dodging blows from varied zailors or beating a few back as well as he could while getting as little bruises as possible. Now he sees that Edward has been knocked unconscious on the opposite side of the bar, being beat up by the zailor who knocked him out in the first place.

“Take this!” shouts the zailor as he hits Edward repeatedly in the back with a stool. Mr. Hamilton rushes over to Edward just in time to (barely) block a well aimed jab at Edward’s head by hitting the zailor in the back with a stool, then pushes the zailor back to a table. Hamilton uses his stool to hit the zailor over the head and knock him out.

Mr. Hamilton drags Edward out to the front of the bar, out of harm’s way, then goes back inside to join the fight with the others.

Henchard weaves through the crowd, dodging sword blows and kicks as Dirae Erinyes and their partner leap on top of the table, sending curled milk flying through the air. Scanning for new threats, he is pleasantly surprised to see the shadowed figure bolt from their corner and out the door like Mr. Pages had a special squad of well-read Special Constables on them.  He is less pleasantly surprised when he see’s the scarred women approach, adjusting her brass knuckles decorated with zee monster teeth. He barely has time to grab a battered platter as a shield before she explodes like a spring loaded bear trap. One where the springs threw a bear at the victim.

Defense was never Henchard’s style, but the lady’s constant attacks gave him little room to counter. No sooner had he deflected one blow, the platter nearly getting torn from his hands, when her other fist came flying at him. After several rounds of blocking and no signs of tiring or safer options, Henchard throws the dented platter into her nose, decades worth of grease sticking to it, and now, to her. It stunned her long enough for Henchard to leap to the next table and find a better weapon. The scarred women’s charge is stopped by the sudden impact of an object that finds rocks far too soft. A rain of ship hardtack. Miraculously, she was still standing by the third piece. Henchard swaggered over and pushed her over with one finger. She fell to the ground, and did not stir.

However, Henchard is not in the clear. A bundle of rags covered in anarchist slogans and posters, much like a more political Barselaar has stepped out of the riotous crowd. Emerging between the folds of screeds against the soul trade and the navy, a shining ratwork pistol emerges. Henchard does not see the deadly weapon pointed at him, too concerned with the crush of zailors surrounding him and his stash of hardtack, which he found to also work as a shield.

But Dirae Erinyes sees it. Seeing their sport turn unexpectedly serious. Deciding to finally settle the endless pattern of lunge and riposte, Dirae Erinyes catches their opponent in the wooden hilt of his sword with tip of the zee-Martin. Before he has a chance to twist off and press the attack, Dirae Erinyes heaves him and the Zee-Martin - the force causing their gears to audible strain, even over the piano music. It’s worst for the other duelist. He find his wooden arm firmly embedded in an abused dartboard. He vainly struggles against the mass of fish as Dirae Erinyes grabs the chandelier. Flying through the air, they give a flying punch to the mass aiming at Henchard. As he flies back, his pistol is crushed by Dirae Erinyes grip as they are sent flying, landing behind the bar.

Henchard was also chased out of his hardtack fort, thanks to a surprise from the maimed captain who told of the Shiitake Death Cap. While not a starveling cat in a box, a feral blemmigan in knapsack wasn’t much better, and had jaws sharp enough to almost eat hardtack. Retreating from the furious frenzy of beak and tendril, Henchard find himself behind the bar just as Dirae Erinyes crashed through. The bartender was too busy hiding that good stuff from the riotous patrons assembling a crude battering ram to pay attention to our pair climbing on top of the barrels.

Hearing the cries of the zailors, as they heaved against the bar, Henchard and Dirae Erinyes know they didn’t have long. With a understanding nod, Henchard dangled a handkerchief in front of the purple mass. As soon as it took the bait, Henchard jerked it up. Dirae Erinyes, borrowing the club behind the bar despite the protests of the barmen, hits the feral blemmigan with a solid thud. With a strange feeling of suddenly being a yankee, Dirae Erinyes was pleased to see the blemmigan fly through the air and land in an ostentatious hat worn by the self-styled “Captain Blood.” Their frantic wailings did little to hinder the efforts of the zailors spilling behind the bar.

Dirae Erinyes responded by sending the first few toppling by knocking the barrels down and sending them rolling through the ground. They also left their own barrel open for attack and quickly found themselves balancing on a rolling barrel after it was upended by a harpoon turned into a lance. Carried away by their own stubbornness, Dirae Erinyes is carried off into the crowd with reckless abandon.

Henchard chose to simply jump off the barrels and use the bartender as meat shield, where it is much easier to notice the soot covered clayman using an abandoned cigar to light a makeshift molotov cocktail. Not risking to find out how flammable his partner is, Henchard grabs an empty barrel. After a quick glance to measure trajectory, he jumps into the crowd, frantically stuffing himself inside the barrel, and manages to get all of his squishy bits in before hitting the shaking floor. He rolls his own path of destruction across the floor and any onlooker might be distressed by the amount of blades his barrel collects knives, swords, and the odd tooth.

Henchard dares only the briefest of glances and the slightest of adjustments as the barrel flies into the lumbering clayman’s path. With a quick hand around a chair leg, Henchard manages to send his barrel and the chair smashing into the clayman. Splinters fly through the air. Fire spreads over the soot, turning the clayman in a figure worth the Bishop’s nightmares before he tumbles into the aquarium. An aquarium that previously hosted its fish in a manicured sea garden worthy of any fussy English gardener, but now resembles the morning after a bohemian party. The clayman has only a slight frown at this predicament, his discomfort offset by admiring the fish up close. The fish nibbled at his damaged nose. Henchard’s barrel comes to a stop, swords, daggers, and a variety of other weapons stuck to, and in several cases, through, the barrel. Several zailors stop their fighting, somewhere, a hat is removed in a moment of silence. Which Henchard breaks, pushing the barrel outward with explosive force, splinters, planks, and weapons fly into the crowd. Henchard stands, brushing off dust and splinters but otherwise unharmed.

Dirae Erinyes own path has been stopped by a haphazard barricade, assembled of shark heads and poorly constructed chairs. As both the barricade and Dirae Erinyes went down, the remaining zailors jumped in. While they imagined themselves as marsh-wolves around a blind astronomer, that was not the situation. Despite the wrestling moves learned from years at Zee, Dirae Erinyes stood up, and batted the grapplers away. The first one was merely defenestrated and the second one had the presence of mind to try to grab a table to halt their flight. Their velocity was strong enough that the table did not help but instead was taken with them as they flew out the door. Passerby’s paused to watch the zailor slide down the street on the table, playfully waving her red bandana. An unwise decision for the passenger in the carriage, as he was promptly knocked out of it by a flying zailor and then watched as the panicked horse rode away without him. One could not tell who had it worse, the rich man suddenly marooned at the docks or the zailor being carried off to the richer streets of the bazaar.

Henchard grabs Dirae Erinyes arm as they admire the flying zailors and redirects their attention to the other zailors gathering around them. A tense standoff is interrupted by the sound of whistles and hoofbeats on the pavement. The patrons don’t wait for the declarative shouts of “police!” before flying the establishment, stealing whatever food and drink was still left while quickly giving promises of bail to their incapacitated friends. Dirae Erinyes escapes with a plate of rubbery lumps, while Henchard makes do with more hardtack, stuffed under his shirt like armor.

Noah had been looking unthreatening and sidling towards the entrance when a combination of zailor and furniture had flown past him, knocking him down as it sought to relive the door of its hinges. Currently Noah was lying in a fetal position, having given up on navigating the mayhem and prioritizing protecting his head with his arms, as he heard the police whistles outside. The well honed habits of a Spite-denizen made him leap up on his feet, and as he heard the thundering sound of a running Dirae passing him by, he reached out towards the giant.
“Terribly sorry to interrupt, Erinyes, but I believe I’d like to employ your serv- AAH!” He’s cut short as Dirae, without slowing down in the slightest or listening to the doctor’s babbling, yanks him off his feet and throws him on his familiar spot on the gargantuan shoulder. Noah attempts to do his best to dangle in a dignified manner.

The sound of fighting reaches the gentleman wearing a bowler hat. He turns his attention towards the direction of the clamour and instinctively reaches for something on his belt. He grasps at the empty air, before looking down at his belt and quickly realising that he was looking for had been left behind.
“Well I’m afraid I must go now M’Lord. I don’t want to be caught in fight here in this part of Wolfstack, at least not without a few of the lads. Gooday M’Lord.”
The man is already a good distance away as he finishes making his goodbyes. He nervously looks around to make sure that no one around them has noticed him and swiftly turns the corner.

With the sounds still coming from the direction of his party Lord Gazter makes his way back to Sad Spider Hall. He arrives just in time to see the rest of the party heading towards the carriage bruised and battered, a large number of patrons fleeing the seen, and the constables rushing in to handle the bedlam. Lord Gazter stands dumbfounded for moment attempting to comprehend the madness before him.

(To be continued. . .)
edited by Shadowcthuhlu on 5/17/2017
edited by Shadowcthuhlu on 5/18/2017
edited by Shadowcthuhlu on 5/22/2017