The Great Traveling Nowhere Show: Feducci as Mayor

The Contrarian is going to be an interesting experiment. I mean, a member of the Calendar Council gaining the mayor-ship is probably the worst case scenario for the Masters. They probably have plans on how to handle this - they have plans for nearly everything under the false stars. But this certainly isn’t an ideal turn of events from their perspective and we all know from personal experience that the Masters don’t always get everything that they want, however much they scheme.

So, this is the administration that will demonstrate whether or not it’s possible to use the mayor’s office to weaken the Masters or win concessions from them. The Temperance Campaigner’s hostility to Wines and Spices would have given us the exact same experiment, but, well, you know…
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/5/2018

This looks a lot like them bribing people to ensure that Jenny’s successes are underreported, to undermine her and the mayor’s office in general.

I just realised: from a gameplay perspective, Feducci cleared my Criminal Record. That’s something that had never been possible before, and concievably may never be possible ever again, or at least for a very long time. So while in-universe, he did nothing of note, out-of-universe he is likely to remain the most impactful mayor in for long time, because I’m not sure what could beat that.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/5/2018

I admit, I would have loved to see what Her Dauntlessness would have done in office. Especially if Jenny’s support had helped carry her there. An alliance between London’s most temperate and its most tempting, against Masters and exploiters! Oh, it’s marvellous to think of.

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]I just realised: from a gameplay perspective, Feducci cleared my Criminal Record. That’s something that had never been possible before, and concievably may never be possible ever again, or at least for a very long time. So while in-universe, he did nothing of note, out-of-universe he is likely to remain the most impactful mayor in for long time, because I’m not sure what could beat that.
[/quote]

I wonder if the Contrarian might also be able to do that, considering his newfound ‘alliance’ with the Constables. Would only take a little currency and a clever argument to make them willingly burn the records of specific, reformed citizens who have learned the error of their ways and fall all-too-easily under the suspicious eyes of the law. That I could see him managing to do with his position, and with a good bit of incentive to do so.

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]I just realised: from a gameplay perspective, Feducci cleared my Criminal Record. That’s something that had never been possible before, and concievably may never be possible ever again, or at least for a very long time. So while in-universe, he did nothing of note, out-of-universe he is likely to remain the most impactful mayor in for long time, because I’m not sure what could beat that.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/5/2018[/quote]
Admittedly, from a story prospective, clearing people’s criminal records is pretty noteworthy, given how unforgiving London’s justice system tends to be. This didn’t do much to help London as a whole though and was just part of his Hallowmas intrigues, as opposed to an actual attempt at criminal justice reform. Lucky individuals who brought him secrets were the only beneficiaries.

While there’s no evidence yet that the Contrarian has managed to weaken the Ministry, he is certainly annoying them.

The Contrarian’s Mayoralty, at this point, is probably the most publicly spirited government Fallen London has ever had.

Jenny and Feducci never did anything like this. Jenny closed her eyes, while Feducci was totally out for himself.
edited by Anne Auclair on 11/6/2018

I do feel the need to point out that you just took a statement by the Jovial Contrarian at face value.

His reaction to visiting Arbor is in line with his stated intentions.

Insofar as he observes that Arbor is a refuge? That doesn’t say much. Besides, I can think of any number of reasons why a man of the Contrarian’s sympathies might be interested in Arbor that has little to do with the public weal of London–not to mention the fact that his view of &quotthe well-being of his citizens&quot has a strong likelihood of not matching said citizens’.

All of course still assuming that these statements are, in howeverso complex a fashion, reflect the actual views of the Mayor. I find very little historical encouragement for that assumption.

I’m not sure it makes a difference, fundamentally. His intention to visit Arbor appears to be rooted in its capability to serve as a refuge for citizens of the fallen cities. This is an area where the interests of the revolutionaries - even the Liberation revolutionaries - align with those of the people. It creates a valuable bargaining chip where the Masters cannot eliminate their problems solely by bringing down the Sixth City; if the Calendar Council can take refuge - along with the tools of the Liberation (April likely already knows the way) - in Arbor, then they can continue to threaten the Neath. If they can become the savior of the people along the way, that’s an added benefit. The Contrarian is known for being able to understand multiple perspectives. He has expressed significant doubt about the Liberation, despite his continued association with January, and in this case, the well-being of his citizens can be guarded while still advancing revolutionary causes. That’s the way of the contrarian - he’s not to be taken at face value, but the face value is also true.

That being said, I do wonder how long Failbetter has been planning this. In Hallowmas 2016, we have Feducci’s Et in Arbor Ego confession, depicting his failed journey to find Arbor. Then we have the new free content, which added the Court of the Wakeful Eye as an expansion of the Dilmun Club content, further elaborating on the Elder Continent. The Attendants introduces the backstory for the Duchess’s sisters that foreshadows the Roseate Queen (I was actually confused by this for a while, since I thought the disappeared sister in question was the second sister in Parabola from The Attendants). The groundwork has been laid for Arbor for a while.

Indeed so–and it’s probably groundwork for something else, too. Let us raise a glass of Cider to the writers! (or Morelways, or whatever we happen to find affordable)

And don’t forget the expedition!