The Fruits of the Zee festival begins!

A Mary Lloyd at last! I can finally leave Mutton Island since I’ll be getting the dream when I finish up HD. Goodbye and good riddance, FotZ.

And I will bravely soldier on.

And I will bravely soldier on.[/quote]
Best of luck to you!

Oof, when you spend 20 actions trying to get the right RNG to trade in your catch… only to fall just short of the crown. I wish there was a way this could be a tiny bit less random

Yeah, but getting a 71% chance 15 times in a row (the number of 7 value strange catches I’ve thrown at this breathtakingly unfun RNG-fest) has a less than 1% chance of happening (0.587%, to be precise). If I were the only person having trouble getting the 26-28 range to show up, I’d chalk it up to extreme bad luck. With more people clearly having trouble, I’m more inclined to think the RNG being used is badly programmed.[/quote]

I know human intuition is generally a pretty bad guide to statistics, but… (waves hands in vague maths-person frustration). You’ve run the numbers on this one and still seem to have missed what a 0.587% chance actually indicates.
It means that the thing in question will happen to (on average) one in every ~170 people, and there are quite a lot more than 170 people playing Fallen London. (Or it wouldn’t be making enough money to support one person full-time, never mind a team.) (Also, I suspect that even most people who use the forums - who are generally a game’s most dedicated fans/players - lack the dedication to run that irritatingly random carousel fifteen times, so the failure chance for the average complainer is likely higher.)

And as I’ve observed before, I would be very surprised to find that Fallen London’s RNG system is doing anything other than asking the AWS server for a random number - which is also what Amazon’s own ecommerce systems use.

Yeah, but getting a 71% chance 15 times in a row (the number of 7 value strange catches I’ve thrown at this breathtakingly unfun RNG-fest) has a less than 1% chance of happening (0.587%, to be precise). If I were the only person having trouble getting the 26-28 range to show up, I’d chalk it up to extreme bad luck. With more people clearly having trouble, I’m more inclined to think the RNG being used is badly programmed.[/quote]

I know human intuition is generally a pretty bad guide to statistics, but… (waves hands in vague maths-person frustration). You’ve run the numbers on this one and still seem to have missed what a 0.587% chance actually indicates.
It means that the thing in question will happen to (on average) one in every ~170 people, and there are quite a lot more than 170 people playing Fallen London. (Or it wouldn’t be making enough money to support one person full-time, never mind a team.) (Also, I suspect that even most people who use the forums - who are generally a game’s most dedicated fans/players - lack the dedication to run that irritatingly random carousel fifteen times, so the failure chance for the average complainer is likely higher.)

And as I’ve observed before, I would be very surprised to find that Fallen London’s RNG system is doing anything other than asking the AWS server for a random number - which is also what Amazon’s own ecommerce systems use.[/quote]
Being honest, I was just angry. My horrid luck in the event was too close a mirror for my horrid luck trying to get a job for the past 15 months. I’m just glad I didn’t send any of the emails I drafted over the event.
edited by Kaunisenkeli on 8/23/2020

To be honest I just grabbed a collar, the crown and then bailed back to grinding for whatever I suspect Railway might demand from me since I’m anxious about every track-building option escalating in cost with each new station. I propose the commissioning of a new Correspondence sigil: “The Incessant Dread That You Will Never Have Enough Bessemer Steel Ingots No Matter What You Do”

Didn’t grab a screenshot at the time, but I had ‘mask, again’ come up. I’m fairly convinced it happens if you started but didn’t finish the Virginia at the Festival story.

I got the crown easily, but my luck is not holding up for the Mary.

And I will bravely soldier on.[/quote]
Best of luck to you![/quote]

Finally! Now I can get off this island and go home.

[quote=Tigerfort]
And as I’ve observed before, I would be very surprised to find that Fallen London’s RNG system is doing anything other than asking the AWS server for a random number - which is also what Amazon’s own ecommerce systems use.[/quote]

Unless they changed something from AK’s days (and he wasn’t lying), it calls Random.Next(lowerBound,upperBound+1);
(source: https://community.failbettergames.com/topic4317-why-is-math-so-wrong.aspx#post39796 )
which … as far as I can tell isn’t even thread-safe

[quote=xKiv][quote=Tigerfort]

Unless they changed something from AK’s days (and he wasn’t lying), it calls Random.Next(lowerBound,upperBound+1);
(source: https://community.failbettergames.com/topic4317-why-is-math-so-wrong.aspx#post39796 )
which … as far as I can tell isn’t even thread-safe[/quote]

Since the other line of code in that post from AK is

[quote=Alexis]
return MischievouslyAlterResult(originalResult, GlobalMalevolenceLevel, NSAInstructionSet, User.NexPurchasedInLifetime,User.HasEverComplainedOnTwitterAboutMe);
[/quote]
which is an obviously fake function calling on obviously fake variables that reference things like &quothas this user ever been mean to AK on twitter&quot, I’m going to go with it not being the real code.

Seems reasonable. I suspect it’ll be quite similar to &quotWhen A Story Calls On Me To Visit The Boatman, Why Do I Never Remember To Max Out The Relevant Favours First?&quot and &quotThat Sinking Feeling When You Return To Your Lab From Parabola Without Doing Quite Enough Research There&quot.

Seems reasonable. I suspect it’ll be quite similar to &quotWhen A Story Calls On Me To Visit The Boatman, Why Do I Never Remember To Max Out The Relevant Favours First?&quot and &quotThat Sinking Feeling When You Return To Your Lab From Parabola Without Doing Quite Enough Research There&quot.[/quote]

After being distracted from my Gollum-like hoarding of railroads I have theorised a new pair of sigils, generally depicted in close proximity:

&quotThe Inevitable Delay Towards Being Recognised As A Defender Of The Public Safety, Because An Urchin Is Late To Reclaim His Bear&quot

And &quotThe Profitable Consolation That Your Endlessly Circular Train Journey Supplies You With Generous Amounts of Bones, Trinkets Worth Hinterland Scrip And Rumours Of The Upper River That The Bazaar Is Suddenly Willing To Pay As Much Money For As It Would For A Touching Love Story&quot

[quote=Tigerfort]
Since the other line of code in that post from AK is

[quote=Alexis]
return MischievouslyAlterResult(originalResult, GlobalMalevolenceLevel, NSAInstructionSet, User.NexPurchasedInLifetime,User.HasEverComplainedOnTwitterAboutMe);
[/quote]
which is an obviously fake function calling on obviously fake variables that reference things like &quothas this user ever been mean to AK on twitter&quot, I’m going to go with it not being the real code.
[/quote]

What, we are no longer allowed to post a serious answer followed by a joke?
(joke deleted)

I’m not trying to maintain both Austere and Hedonist, but if I were, I’d be grumpy about the only options for a certain Sights range being to give up a point of either, or my strange catch, once the lord mayor is no longer around to talk to. Must the festival be like that? Can’t it be nicer about quirks?

Austere and hedonist are usually treated as opposites, so it makes sense that there’s times you need to pick one or the other…

Yeah, this event really screws up quirks.
edited by Kaunisenkeli on 8/26/2020

So one can’t simply walk away from both tables? One must choose a quirky option! It didn’t use to be that way. And it doesn’t make sense in this case.

So one can’t simply walk away from both tables? One must choose a quirky option! It didn’t use to be that way. And it doesn’t make sense in this case.[/quote]

I don’t really get your problem. They are somewhat opposites. Still the game allows you to be both, since they say a character is more than black or white. But still it’s hard to keep both values high, like it would be in real life.

Besides that, the FotZ is a somwehat good opportunity to level the quirks up if you want. The only option that raises one but lowers the other is the last effort, once you’re usually already done. Before that, the quirk rises on failure, but stays the same on success.

[quote=Judaspriester]

I don’t really get your problem.[/quote]
I spelled it out though? &quotSo one can’t simply walk away from both tables? One must choose a quirky option! It didn’t use to be that way. And it doesn’t make sense in this case.&quot

Is someone holding a gun to the character’s head? Eat or die! Or lose the strange catch. In the first version of the Fruits of the Zee the fishing did lower quirks if you went with an opposing quirk option. But they changed that. So I’m pretty sure the lack of a more neutral option for this range of Sights was just an oversight. Because it doesn’t seem like a situation where a visitor would be forced to make a choice.