The Feast of the Exceptional Rose.

Original query has been answered (thank you :D) but this is probably still a useful thread title.

The feast. discuss. :p
edited by Inky Petrel on 2/19/2014

There was an email tellin’ us it begins on the 14th. Not sure how long it goes on for, though!

Last year it lasted for 2 weeks. I’m not sure if the same will be true of this year, but it’s possible.

I’m very excited for this, I wasn’t on hand to experience it last year. And the team at Failbetter have really been cranking up the rewards and surprises with each holiday - the Destinies with Halloween, the new Lodgings with Christmas, and now marriage to other players this Valentines. I am hopeful that they will also use the occasion to widen the number of eligible spouses in the base game, of course.

Not to sound disrespectful at the prospect of player marriages, but it is likely that such unions will be without inherent in-game bonuses. For instances, why would I spend a small fortune to acquire the Artist’s Model or the Jewel Thief when I could simply propose to a player or make another account for the stat increase? The in-game bonuses for non-player spouses will likely never be so great as to preclude such unions if they are valued soley for their symbolism, but it is something to take into account.

edited by Owen Wulf on 2/4/2014

[quote=Owen Wulf]I’m very excited for this, I wasn’t on hand to experience it last year. And the team at Failbetter have really been cranking up the rewards and surprises with each holiday - the Destinies with Halloween, the new Lodgings with Christmas, and now marriage to other players this Valentines. I am hopeful that they will also use the occasion to widen the number of eligible spouses in the base game, of course.

Not to sound disrespectful at the prospect of player marriages, but it is likely that such unions will be without inherent in-game bonuses. For instances, why would I spend a small fortune to acquire the Artist’s Model or the Jewel Thief when I could simply propose to a player or make another account for the stat increase? The in-game bonuses for non-player spouses will likely never be so great as to preclude such unions if they are valued soley for their symbolism, but it is something to take into account.

edited by Owen Wulf on 2/4/2014[/quote]

Unless–and this would seriously impress me–your player-spouse’s stat bonus would be calculated depending on the character’s stats.

[li]

That would be feasible if it were based on something such as their posi specialization at the time of marriage or something. If specializations change, maybe you could renew your vows or something. I’ll definitely give player marriage a try. I already have someone in mind too ;-)

Ex: your basic posi could be like on par with the normal spouses, but say, a shattering force might give stats that lean toward the dangerous or possibly even dreaded categories (I don’t think player marriages will give stats, going by alexisthetests profile though. I just mean to say it could be done).

Edit:

I dunno, if its like based on a quality such as being a POSI, that’s a lot harder to grind than the small fortune it takes to get an artist model. You can’t just whip a legendary charisma out of thin air overnight. Stats 200 takes a very long time respectively in my opinion.
edited by NiteBrite on 2/4/2014

Oh, gossips! Pray tell! Or do you fear an increase in Scandal?

[li]
And if there is only one denizen of the Neath that should know about rebuilding a character, it’s you, dear NiteBrite. How many times did you slash your stats in half ?
On a personal note, I haven’t been able to fully recover losses in Dangerous yet…

Even if marriages to other players don’t come with stat bonuses, I don’t care, Krawald has had hir eyes on someone for a long time. Now let’s just hope she reciprocates.

Oh, you! flutters eyelashes

;-)

Perhaps there will be an option to ask your spouse to ‘help’ (as in, do everything for you) with storylets?

;-)[/quote]

Please don’t take it personally, but your character is not the person Krawald is thinking of. I don’t think that person is even on the forum, not as far as I noticed anyways.
edited by Loon on 2/4/2014

;-)[/quote]

Please don’t take it personally, but your character is not the person Krawald is thinking of. I don’t think that person is even on the forum, not as far as I noticed anyways.
edited by Loon on 2/4/2014[/quote]

Everything is personal. flounces at you steals your soul while you’re glancing at the floor in embarrassment

Hmmm. Sounds like something a coupe in a relationship will do!

I really really really don’t hope you don’t need a POSI to marry another player’s character. It would be charming if, as a POSI, you did get stat boosts for what you are (general if you haven’t chosen something, dreaded if you chose Shattering Force like someone said) but it isn’t a requirement.

… This makes me wonder if the person being proposed can reject the offer too and what would happen if it did? I guess Making Waves would drop and Scandal would increase?

Flouncing! Soul-stealing! How shocking!

[quote=Helen Demeter]

… This makes me wonder if the person being proposed can reject the offer too and what would happen if it did? I guess Making Waves would drop and Scandal would increase?[/quote]

Of course the offer can be rejected. The proposer probably gets some Scandal, though I doubt the one who rejected it will be punished.

[quote=Sara Hysaro][quote=Helen Demeter]

… This makes me wonder if the person being proposed can reject the offer too and what would happen if it did? I guess Making Waves would drop and Scandal would increase?[/quote]

Of course the offer can be rejected. The proposer probably gets some Scandal, though I doubt the one who rejected it will be punished.[/quote]

[li]
Yeah it’d be a bit weird to punish someone for getting proposed to.

Do we know for sure that getting married takes up the constant companion slot? I mean it’d be strange if it didn’t, but it would be easier to balance around.

It makes you committed, so yes, it takes up a slot.

Oh happy day! I’m sure I can find someone amenable to my brand new, ah, outlook on life.

being more of a munchkin &quotroleplayer&quot, i do hope marrying another player gives stat increases, but i suspect it won’t be a dynamic increase if implemented. the nexus engine doesn’t seem to be flexible enough for that?

I’m torn. Player marriages sound cool, but Augusta is very happy with the Celebrated Artist’s Model, and not the sort to cast her off on a whim.