The fate of the Consort

Has anyone confirmed what fate befell the Traitor Empress’ dear Consort? I have my own theories but I’d like to hear yours.

My investigations at the Palace and the University lead me to believe that the Consort is the Cantigaster, tethered in the cellars beneath the Shuttered Palace. The Duchess seems fond of him (infidelity, perhaps?)
edited by Mysterious Gentleman on 4/7/2013

"What happened to the Traitor Empress’ consort?
The Traitor Empress’ consort became dangerously ill just before the Fall. Typhoid, apparently. It seems he’s quite recovered and lives happily to this day. The air down here must have been good for his health."

So I suppose he is doing well at the moment, or at least that’s what we are told. The Cantigaster is definitely not the Empress’ Consort, however, I know that for certain.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 4/7/2013

Ah, but “There is always a cost that is known, and a cost that is not. The Empress knows this now.”

Or to put it another way, dealing with the Bazaar is like wishing on the monkey’s paw.

Edit - less gnomically: he’s definitely not the Cantigaster, but I wouldn’t bet on him living a happy life.
edited by Richard on 4/7/2013

Oh, definitely not actually well. Just look at this Empress child:

But we don’t know how much he is suffering, or his mental state. So it’s possible he’s happy right now. Just not at all likely.

You see him around the Court all the time, alive and… well, alive, at least. We know the Cantigaster’s story - Second City, serpent bite, deal with the Bazaar. There, the price was obvious. In the Empress and the Consort’s case, well… neither of them seem to be entirely at their best. There’s a strange look about them… a curious aversion to loud noises and certain other stimuli… a penchant for exotic, dream-haunting pets… and, of course, a Labyrinth full of twisted, mirror-hopping children, hidden away from the eyes of the world.

Where did you get that image of the Empress child? I have investigated the Court and the Cantigaster but have not seen the child…

I’ve never seen the Consort around the Palace - and I’d not found out much about the Cantigaster either - apologies for my insufficient conclusions. I doff my Gentleman’s Hat to you.

Perhaps they’re soulless?

Oh, I just saw the image around someplace (I think in Flute Street), and the url was very revealing.

Oh, I just saw the image around someplace (I think in Flute Street), and the url was very revealing.[/quote]
Something fate-locked at least - it wasn’t on the wiki.

Oh, I just saw the image around someplace (I think in Flute Street), and the url was very revealing.[/quote]
Something fate-locked at least - it wasn’t on the wiki.[/quote]

You need Nex to access Flute Street; Though I heard it might have changed. Soulless is interesting, now that I think about it. The thing is; it’s not an out-and-out “affliction,” the way the Cantigaster is. To judge from some people; soullessness isn’t necessarily bad, if not desirable by everyone.
edited by Zmflavius on 4/8/2013

You still need Nex for Flute Street, so yeah, I think it’s there.

“The first taught restraint and the second betrayed. The third taught us hunger: the fourth we remade. The fifth will live on in the heart of the Sun, and the sixth…”

Is this the price not known? The rise of the Dawn Machine? But how does it relate to the Consort? And why am I awake at 4am trawling through years-old forum threads?

Anyone wanting a bit more colour on the Consort and how he’s doing now might want to play through the Face Tailor and choose the Shuttered Palace related option at the end…

The hint is appreciated. I’ll keep that in mind.

[quote=TheThirdPolice]&quotThe first taught restraint and the second betrayed. The third taught us hunger: the fourth we remade. The fifth will live on in the heart of the Sun, and the sixth…&quot

Is this the price not known? The rise of the Dawn Machine? But how does it relate to the Consort? And why am I awake at 4am trawling through years-old forum threads?[/quote]

Those are certainly the lessons learned by the Masters and not the rulers who sold their cities. The Empress received her boon in exchange for selling London, just as all the rest had done. I doubt the result was exactly what she was hoping for (i.e., the price not known), but, well, it turns out that grief-stricken bargaining with tricksy alien space bats isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

I do wonder why London will live on in the heart of the Sun though. Anyone have any musings on the matter?

Yes, I realize these are the Master’s perspective. I was rather grasping at straws. Good to know that there is some more concrete information on the Consort, somewhere.

Still not sure what THE SUN is about… I’ll see what happens as I continue to support the Dawn Machine in Sunless Sea.