The Department of Menace Eradication

New story open in Watchmaker’s Hill.

Can go &quothunting&quot for rats and then exchange them for Rostygold(11 Rostygold/10 Rats).

Not sure on the exact numbers. I’m guessing the reward scales with Dangerous level though. There’s also another story available if you have a Ratting Piece, not sure on the reward there(trying to go for Author).

I got 56 rats / action (sans Ratting Piece, Dangerous 114) and then 60 /action when I brought my Dangerous up to 124. So it scales based on your Dangerous for sure.

However, it also costs points from Society rep. :(
edited by Zee! on 5/23/2013

Seems like it takes 209 Dangerous for the non-Ratting Piece option to be better than the Unfinished Business source, assuming my math is right.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 5/23/2013

I am very, very disappointed this is not called The Department of Menace E-RAT-ication

Presently my haul with full gear is 79 rats per action, which I can only call suboptimal

The max is 98 rats with the Ratting Piece I believe, considering I did this with 165 Danger with a +45 bonus to boot. It’s just two rats less than the unfinished business option for such in Spite, but it is certainly a more honest way to go about getting them.

edited by Owen Wulf on 5/23/2013

notably, also a more dangerous way.

Have you tried with your 165+45 dangerous on the non-ratting piece version?

Only 94 with the first option, and I lose points with high society because they look down on such antics (unless you are a Professional Rat-Catcher of course). So the Ratting Piece is the better option for me. With that you get 98 rats and no lost points with high society.

edited by Owen Wulf on 5/23/2013

Interesting - I hadn’t thought that it might scale with Dangerous. I got 80 rats and lost some Society connections and so dismissed it as insufficiently profitable.

The formula seems to be around 0.4x+10 for the non-ratcatcher option.

So we need more data on the ratcatcher option, then. Is it possible someone with a Ratting Piece can vary their dangerous stat a few times and record their stat and the result it got them?

well w/ 162+44 dangerous i got 107 rats with the ratting piece action for what it’s worth
setting out on a ratshoot costs 2 actions now instead of 0, but the rewards are slightly higher
edited by Spacemarine9 on 5/23/2013

Well, now my interest has waned. halving the value of the thing when it already wasn’t the best way to get rats, even for somebody with maxed dangerous and massive bonus gear…unless there’s a story quality involved, does it even have a point beyond Narrative now? Spading the data might as well continue, but unless it’s intended to be an option for non POSI only it seems like it’s just a cool thing you can do if you’re not trying to get something specific from your actions.

EDIT: More narrative actions have appeared! My interest is renewed! I must know the tale there is to tell!
edited by Finvara on 5/23/2013

It’s not really halving the value, it’s just adding an entry cost. If you stayed in that storylet long enough you could make up for it, but I’m not sure if it’d be worth the effort.

So if it’s just 2 actions the once, and then the ratting process is just one action each, that’s not so bad. That just means that means that we’re perhaps one raise of the dangerous cap away from something really profitable.

I’m rather pleased with the possibility of multiplying my pence value in rats by 10%. If I read that aright, I can cash in with a huge heaping of rats to get a ridiculous amount of PPA for those few actions. Perhaps when I’m done collecting things as an Enforcer, I’ll swap back to Ratcatcher just to grind rats to trade in for rostygold.[li]
edited by Playersideblog on 5/23/2013

So I guess this is basically the Dangerous equivalent of the Pickpocket’s Promenade/Writer’s Desk/Detective Cases. I was hoping for more endgame content, but I have to say I’m pretty pleased with my Scuttering Squad. Between them, my skin gloves, and my skin mask, I’m feeling like the Big Rat.

That would require rats to be an efficient enough source of PPA that the 10% bonus is worth your time. Presently, 100PPA is possible with the Unfinished business option, which means a 10% bonus would only turn those into 110PPA (-5 actions, but the percentage is presumably tiny if you have enough rats).

Given that the standard for high PPA actions at this point is closer to 130 or 140PPA, we would need to get somewhere around 115 or more rats from a single action to make that 10% bonus bring us to the general ballpark of high efficiency.

That would require rats to be an efficient enough source of PPA that the 10% bonus is worth your time. Presently, 100PPA is possible with the Unfinished business option, which means a 10% bonus would only turn those into 110PPA (-5 actions, but the percentage is presumably tiny if you have enough rats).

Given that the standard for high PPA actions at this point is closer to 130 or 140PPA, we would need to get somewhere around 115 or more rats from a single action to make that 10% bonus bring us to the general ballpark of high efficiency.[/quote]
Ah, that’s a good point. Guess it’s just a good way to get a nice boost for the spare rats I have hanging around from my past days as a Ratcatcher.[li]

Side note: was &quotGetting to Know Cobblestone Rogues and Back-Alley Saints&quot one of the qualities I just never ran into because I was at low-level content too early? I don’t recall seeing it before, and one of the options raises it.