The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner for Mayor

Because it’s never too early to start thinking about the next contest (it really isn’t). The Failbetter writers have said that they would give us a say in future Mayoral candidates after the current contest ends:

So I’d like to get a head start and nominate the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner. I think she would be a terrific candidate for the following reasons:

1. Like Jenny, she is an interesting female character who has largely been regulated to bit supporting roles and could use some real fleshing out.

2. She’s described as a &quotformidable woman is widely admired for her generosity and the extraordinary loudness of her voice… but also for her intellect.&quot These, I think we can all agree, are very important qualities for a mayor to have. She’s also quite brave - it’s in her name.

3. She’s already an overtly political character so she would take easily to the role of Mayoral candidate. Her Sunless Sea cameo reveals she has her own little group of burly supporters.

4. The 1890s saw serious reform movements and politics: temperance, women’s suffrage, prevention of cruelty to animals, and the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner hits all three (in her Sunless Sea cameo she buys a Live Specimen from you, saying she hates seeing living creatures caged up). Fallen London has made some references to the Neathy equivalents of these reform movements, but they’ve always been in the background. The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner would thus give us the opportunity to not only learn more about said movements but also to participate in or oppose them. This would deepen the game’s world building.

5. She’d appeal to former Bishop-supporters and build upon his initial movement.

So, who’s with me? ^_^
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/16/2016

I suggest The Topsy King. Because it would be funny. Uh… I mean he’s been in a position of leadership for quite some time and thus he has considerable experience in that regard. And he’s good at speeches.

I don’t disagree with the above, but this thread is to register support for DTC? Probably should have specified that :P

I’d adore to see a Topsy King campaign, but there’s certainly room for another thread for him. As for the topic at hand, I think the Campaigner would be an excellent candidate - particularly given her opposition to Mr Wines!

We should make a general “Next mayo suggestions” thread, and not 20 new ones for each option.

Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!

If that cannot be a option, The NorthBound Parlimentarian

[quote=Kylestien]Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!

If that cannot be a option, The NorthBound Parlimentarian[/quote]
I don’t think you can be a member of the local government and a Parliamentarian at the same time (though I suppose she could resign and become the NorthBound Candidate).

Anyway, when making nominations I think we should ask the following questions:

1. Does the character’s background, career, personality, and desires fit with a quest for public office? Some characters just aren’t suited for such a story-line. Maybe they’re intensely secretive (elections garner lots of attention). Maybe they have a strong aversion to people seeing them. Maybe the Mayors office would be a step down for them or an unwelcome distraction.

2. Would an election story add anything to the character?

3. Do they have a reason to run for Mayor? Jenny, the Contrarian, and the Bishop all had defining issues. Is the candidate the sort of person to create defining issues?

4. Would Londoners realistically vote for such a candidate? Jack of Smiles might be an interesting candidate, but the people who would vote for him are all safely locked up in the Royal Bethlehem.

5. Is the character obviously evil? If yes, then this character would probably be a poor choice as many players would be against them from the beginning and it would make the competition less exciting.

I asked all these with the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner and the answers I think are very satisfactory.

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Kylestien]Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!

If that cannot be a option, The NorthBound Parlimentarian[/quote]
I don’t think you can be a member of the local government and a Parliamentarian at the same time (though I suppose she could resign and become the NorthBound Candidate).

Anyway, when making nominations I think we should ask the following questions:

1. Does the character’s background, career, personality, and desires fit with a quest for public office? Some characters just aren’t suited for such a story-line. Maybe they’re intensely secretive (elections garner lots of attention). Maybe they have a strong aversion to people seeing them. Maybe the Mayors office would be a step down for them or an unwelcome distraction.

2. Would an election story add anything to the character?

3. Do they have a reason to run for Mayor? Jenny, the Contrarian, and the Bishop all had defining issues. Is the candidate the sort of person to create defining issues?

4. Would Londoners realistically vote for such a candidate? Jack of Smiles might be an interesting candidate, but the people who would vote for him are all safely locked up in the Royal Bethlehem.

5. Is the character obviously evil? If yes, then this character would probably be a poor choice as many players would be against them from the beginning and it would make the competition less exciting.

I asked all these with the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner and the answers I think are very satisfactory.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/16/2016[/quote]

The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem as a major!

coughs I have nothing to add other than that the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner would be an amazing major.

I thank god that Aunt / Daughter is not mandatory. Can you imagine the scandal from having two &quotfamily&quot members as candidates?

That’s fine, just go campaign in the Tomb-Colonies

[quote=Kylestien]Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!
[/quote]

If nominated, I will accept!

[quote=Anne Auclair]Anyway, when making nominations I think we should ask the following questions:

1. Does the character’s background, career, personality, and desires fit with a quest for public office? Some characters just aren’t suited for such a story-line. Maybe they’re intensely secretive (elections garner lots of attention). Maybe they have a strong aversion to people seeing them. Maybe the Mayors office would be a step down for them or an unwelcome distraction.[/quote]

I love attention. I fact, that is the primary reason I want to run for Mayor.

Attention! Devoted followers! Bribes!

I like London just the way it is (mostly) and as Mayor I would do nothing to change it. As Mayor, I would look delicious at official functions, throw splendid Mayoral balls, and accept graft. That’s pretty much it. I would also corrupt those, and only those, interested in being corrupted (which would be nothing new for me). I would also point out that my campaign would be a completely honest one … well, at least in terms of what I say about my agenda; I reserve the right to hurl outrageous whoppers about my opponents. My campaign will be the only one without a hidden agenda (which is horribly unLondon, but oh well).

I have no idea.

I am not obviously evil.
[li]

I still want to see the Implacable Detective run for Mayor, some year.

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron][quote=Kylestien]Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!
[/quote]

If nominated, I will accept![/quote]
Can we avoid joke nominations?

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Lady Sapho Byron][quote=Kylestien]Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!
[/quote]

Can we avoid joke nominations?[/quote]

I know! You can investigate Lady Sapoo Byron and reveal secrets that make her bad for being a mayor xD

[quote=Sandi Gummy][quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Lady Sapho Byron][quote=Kylestien]Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!
[/quote]

I know! You can investigate Lady Sapoo Byron and reveal secrets that make her bad for being a mayor xD[/quote]
If you’re not going to be serious, please don’t post on this thread.

I like to joke around too, but if Anne started this thread for a serious discussion please respect her.

Back on topic… we should get some Watchmaker’s Hill locals for candidate! Like the Bishop, but vengeful against rats instead.

(Vote Anne Auclair for Mayor!)

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Sandi Gummy][quote=Anne Auclair][quote=Lady Sapho Byron][quote=Kylestien]Lady Byron for Mayor! Her Party campaign cannot be beat!
[/quote]

I know! You can investigate Lady Sapoo Byron and reveal secrets that make her bad for being a mayor xD[/quote]
If you’re not going to be serious, please don’t post on this thread.[/quote]

Sorry x.x

We should nominate the Topsy King. If just for the press releases…

I wonder if next year’s candidates will follow the same Celestial-Bazaarine-Nocturnal pattern as this year’s. The Temperance Campaigner would make a fine Celestial.

The same celestial-bazaarine-nocturnal pattern? I haven’t heard about such a thing before. I mean, I know they’re literary schools, but no one compared them to Mayo Candidates before.