The Cycle of the Box

I understand that this

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/The_Troubles_So_Far

Is one of the big choices of the game. I don’t actually understand what the two options MEAN though.

Anybody care to educate me?

Guardian of the realm favours the masters, and the conscience of empire favours the people. The conscience of empire can earn you more ppa.

You can also change your alignment whenever you want, it just raises the “A Turncoat” quality which is a bit costly to get rid of and can stop you from progressing.

(Which is helpful because there’s a choice in one of the fate locked stories that for some reason can set your quality to side with the masters without being clearly labeled as such, or even really making much sense)

Well, giant space bats bought London from the traitor empress, and now they think they own the place. They have a nominal job to keep London churning out low-grade love stories for the bazaar, but their hearts are not it, and they bicker amongst themselves (arranging for a colleague to be eaten counts as bickering, right?). This has lead to them plotting and scheming and arranging for honest, upstanding Londoners to kill each other in amusing ways.

This has lead in turn to some honest, upstanding, Londoners to decide that given the choice between giant space bats and anarchy, civil disobedience is the way to go.

Now you, too, as an honest, upstanding Londoner, have this very same choice. Is vaguely malign and whimsical leadership better than rioting? Is it better to serve giant space bats or work to destroy the city through the Liberation of Night?

Well, since the Liberation of Night would most probably mean the end of the human race, I’ll support the Masters over the Revolutionaries until such time as we can free London without inviting a worse fate for us all.

At this point, even if every single person in London is killed (or turned into Lacre), it still seems a better end result than the Liberation of Night.

There’s quite a few ways to oppose the Masters without actually supporting the Liberation of Night.

Although also I’m not quite sure where you’re getting the idea that the liberation of night would lead to the extinction of humans, considering they seem to be surviving in the few stories featuring it.

edited by WormApotheote on 2/4/2015

[spoiler]

[quote=dov]

I would beg to differ! Humans in the classical sense yes, but with the laws that define reality fading, plus with red honey and or help of the rubberymen, humans could survive! We know that human wolves will totally be a thing that’ll help humans continue existing, even if just as a legacy.

The Liberation of Night doesn’t extinguish all light sources; it makes everyone blind.

[spoiler][quote=Theus]The Liberation of Night doesn’t extinguish all light sources; it makes everyone blind.[/quote]

That’s… not actually true… The Liberation of Night involves literally extinguishing the Sun and all other Suns (Judgements), preventing them from enforcing the laws of reality. Including linear time.
[/spoiler]

[quote=Cecil Palmer]
That’s… not actually true… The Liberation of Night involves literally extinguishing the Sun and all other Suns (Judgements), preventing them from enforcing the laws of reality. Including linear time.[/quote]

Ah, that’s the intent. What we’ve actually seen, however, makes me think that there is plenty left up to interpretation, including the actual impact differing from the intended impact. Knowing something to be undoubtedly true can close you off to seeing possibilities.

[quote=Theus][spoiler]

[quote=Cecil Palmer]
That’s… not actually true… The Liberation of Night involves literally extinguishing the Sun and all other Suns (Judgements), preventing them from enforcing the laws of reality. Including linear time.[/quote]

Ah, that’s the intent. What we’ve actually seen, however, makes me think that there is plenty left up to interpretation, including the actual impact differing from the intended impact. Knowing something to be undoubtedly true can close you off to seeing possibilities.
[/spoiler][/quote]

The destinies from the liberation of the night actually reference still being able to see.

[li]Suffice it to say, the purity of the Liberationists’ intentions, the possible efficacy of their plans, and the desireability of any potential outcomes, are all up for debate. Such is the nature of politics. They’re not the only group representing reformist thought in London, but they do represent its most radical, most militant, and most conspiratorial extreme.

[quote=Qosmio911]

The destinies from the liberation of the night actually reference still being able to see.

It pretty explicitly says that in fact.