The cost of Fate Locked Heal Options?

Okay, so as we all know, the items that you can buy at The Bazzar to heal wounds, nightmares, Scandal and Suspision all have a fate option that allows you to heal all of one one those. But here’s the thing: it costs 8 Nex, which in my opnion is too much next to be worth it. To go to the Shroom Hopping for example, costs 3 Nex. Getting a large story costs 25. In short, healing youself of a mence costs roughtly one thirds of getting a story does and is is much less worth it. How often does one actually use this option?

I believe it would be better to lower the cost of the heal options to a more reasonable price. What that price would be I know not, but I would say somewhere between 1-3.

Do You agree with me? Disagree? Why/Why not? And most importantly do you think FF.Gebrandt will silence me for speaking out on this?

If it cost less Nex, then it might seem like players are meant to rely on it. Menaces are so universal that this could be… particularly dangerous; one of the reasons I play this free-to-play game (and shell out for Nex when I can afford it) and no other free-to-play game is that I don’t feel like I’m constantly being pushed to pay to avoid a negative experience. This relatively-low-but-not-that-low price of 8 Nex says &quotthis is an option to use when you really, really need it for some special reason&quot.

And, really, shouldn’t it be less &quotworth it&quot than 1/3 of a story? You’re not paying for extra content, you’re paying to avoid negative consequences of your in-game actions. Shouldn’t you expect to pay a price that’s a tiny bit exorbitant in purely relative terms?

Disclaimer: I don’t know anything about any official position or lack thereof that FB might have on this matter. =]
edited by thedeadlymoose on 11/1/2014

thedeadlymoose parallels my opinion. Those options aren’t meant to be relied upon for day to day use as menace is omnipresent. You can’t avoid it and you’d spend a ridiculous amount of cash over the years if you had to pay to stay alive every time you hit a slight bump in the road.

The idea here is you’ve done some story that was surprisingly menacing, or you didnt realize how close to death you were and suddenly ended up at wounds 9+ unexpectedly, but haven’t been moved to the slow boat -just yet-. You don’t get moved automatically until you exit the storylet (such as by pressing the onwards or perhaps not buttons) and/or enter the story tab. So, in this situation of wounds 9+ but not dead yet you could quickly enter your myself tab, click on the tincture of vigor, and pay a small amount of fate to fix this emergency scenario. This also means as long as you keep even just one bottle on your person in case of emergency you can avoid -accidental- death 99% of the time (some deaths are unavoidable if you do the wrong thing but not many).

That said, death is a pretty cool place and fun to visit. The boatman is a fun cool chessplayer :)

Yeah but I think driving your opponents mad may count as cheating.

I’m clearly not as nice as everyone else. My first thought was: Suck it up. There are ways of lowering Menaces which don’t require Fate, both individual and social. FBG is entirely entitled to charge you large sums of money to ‘cheat’ the game and get rid of Menaces, especially considering how keen they are to have a connected fan-base.

Having said that, 8 Nex costs between US$1.43 and US$2. “Large sums of money” is not exactly the term I’d use.

/grump

The other thing is that Nex is directly convertible to actions. 8 Nex is 12 actions; 12 actions spent on resting at your lodgings will reduce your Wounds pretty substantially. It seems like a pretty straightforward action/Nex economy to me.

[quote=dragonridingsorceress]I’m clearly not as nice as everyone else. My first thought was: Suck it up. There are ways of lowering Menaces which don’t require Fate, both individual and social. FBG is entirely entitled to charge you large sums of money to ‘cheat’ the game and get rid of Menaces, especially considering how keen they are to have a connected fan-base.

Having said that, 8 Nex costs between US$1.43 and US$2. &quotLarge sums of money&quot is not exactly the term I’d use.

/grump[/quote]

I meant to thumbs up this but hit thumbs down by mistake - sorry!

I am firmly in the suck it up camp too, for the same reasons.

I have used the fate-locked option in an emergency (dying while raising my Scholar of The Correspondence and getting my Impossible Theorem) but there are so many other ways to reduce menaces that it isn’t something I think about too much.

Having said that I think that the Fate cost is fair.

… I didn’t even know there was a fate-locked heal option. I think I’ve got so used to keeping menaces under control in other ways, I was oblivious.

But on what’s a fair price of things in general - it’s an issue across loads of things. People don’t want to buy ebooks costing more than a couple of quid, but would happily spend £2.50–>£3.00 on a coffee. Same for phone apps: Zombie’s Run were told they were mad for not going for the lowest possible price - but even a fiver for a running app with gamification, audio book built in (that I’ve used for years) seems barginous. That’s two coffees. I do it. Wander into a cakery, spend nearly a tenner on stuff I’ll devour in moments and begrudge 99p to get the ad-free version of an app I use every day. There must be studies on it, but it’s … weird. People are weird.
edited by babelfishwars on 11/2/2014