The benefits of knowing the right people...

I am wondering when it’s worth building Connected traits, and when to trade it in. How high should I keep my Connected traits?

There are stories here and there that are unlocked by a Connected quality, often - thought not always - Society. Certainly something in the 20-50 range should cover most of your foreseeable needs. More is better than less, naturally.

I’ve found keeping most Connected around 20 will unlock just about everything. Society however, needs to be 40-50 for some trade-ins

I’d say you should always build connected traits, but don’t be afraid to spend them now and then when cards come up that ask for them (I’d recommend against spending them on items).

I believe you should try to your connected qualities high enough to use the training cards, as it’s a good way to boost the speed at which you level. It also gives you an idea of how difficult the connections are to obtain: The easiest ones require the most: Bohemian, Society, Oriental, and Constables all require 40 for the highest tier, for example.

Another recommendation is to always keep them at least above 5. The various conflict cards can be a great way to boost a connection, I generally just go with whatever’s lower. You get a net profit of connection from them, though I’m still trying to figure out precisely how much.

I tend to hoard connections. There are opportunities that require you have a certain level or spend a certain amount in order to do something spoiler [color=#ffffff]like get rare wines or smuggle a person to freedom[/color] spoiler. I find exchanging connectivity for one of the four skills not worth it other than spoiler [color=#ffffff]Learning Watchful from the Constables in order to get a business card but that, I believe, comes around in the 80s to 100s range [/color]spoiler. I also avoid cards that require me to choose between two factions in order to get a small reward, at least after I’ve tried both options, as that also seems to cost more connection than I can easily gain back.

~MF
A Lady maintaining acquaintances

[quote=Maurna Frost]I tend to hoard connections. There are opportunities that require you have a certain level or spend a certain amount in order to do something spoiler [color=#ffffff]like get rare wines or smuggle a person to freedom[/color] spoiler. I find exchanging connectivity for one of the four skills not worth it other than spoiler [color=#ffffff]Learning Watchful from the Constables in order to get a business card but that, I believe, comes around in the 80s to 100s range [/color]spoiler. I also avoid cards that require me to choose between two factions in order to get a small reward, at least after I’ve tried both options, as that also seems to cost more connection than I can easily gain back.

~MF
A Lady maintaining acquaintances[/quote]

Actually, that last one with choosing between two factions, if you take both options once, you actually come out with a net profit.

That is, however, a recent development. Many of those who tried them in the past would have discovered how poor a choice they were, and then never again touched them. If they hadn’t noticed that the text has changed (it’s a small thing) or spotted mention in threads, they’d never know.

Ok. Thank you for your replies.

Hm. Better get a-building, then.

One small note on my recommendation to spend them on training: This only really applies if you’re not slowing down your progress (By, for example, hitting straightforward challenges) to pursue connections. My intent behind that advice is that you level more or less normally, and use the training cards as bonus CP.

I generally discard ‘Learn some – skills if you have the connections’ cards because I can’t be bothered raising my connections only to have them drop. Is the payoff generally good enough on these cards to merit grinding Mrs. Plenty’s Carnival (I’m still in the 40s in all stats) for connections? Advice for a bit of a n00b, please! :)

Not really.

If you’re looking to grind stats, you’re better off just playing a non-menace-increasing storylet on High-Risk or Almost Impossible. Use stat-reducing gear (e.g., a ridiculous hat) in order to play those storylets longer, or to calibrate your stats to exactly where you want them to be for stat gain.

IIRC, you’re around the point where storylets start automatically giving menaces on a failure, so if all of your potential storylets give menaces on failure and you don’t have any good ways of dealing with menaces, then the Carnival/Learn some tricks cycle is slightly better for stat gain than playing your usual storylets at HR/AI once you account for the actions needed to reduce menaces, though of course inferior on the rewards level.

For the most part, if you’re looking for healthy stat growth, my advice would be to get a variety of gear (some +1s, a talkative rat, bottled oblivion and a ridiculous hat), and just try to keep your stats calibrated so you’re at the 70% success level (the high end of modest) for whatever storylets you want to play, which gives you +2 CP regardless of success/failure. I find that gives a good balance of advancement, rewards and menaces.

Tesuji pretty much hit the nail on the head. My only advice would be not to use the word “noob.”
Not only does it not sound very Victorian, it brings to mind all those terrible people from other games who look down upon those who have just started playing.
I’ve never understood the type of people who would look down on someone because they play a game less than I do. After all, I didn’t know anything about Fallen London until someone told me. I LOVE when new people start Fallen London. I’m often quite jealous that they get to experience all these new stories for the first time. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered anyone who is leery of giving advice, nor do they find it burdensome to do so. I certainly don’t.
There is no need to be preemptively deprecating, my friend. We are all very happy to have you aboard. We think new players are the bee’s knees and wouldn’t think of saying a bad word about them. Tell your friends!