The Bazaar??

The Bazaar &quottakes&quot cities? What does this mean? If I can find out during gameplay, please do not reveal any information.

London getting stolen by bats is fairly well-publicized within the game, but the Bazaar’s motivations are more esoteric. I doubt I would’ve found out unless somebody told me

edited by dismallyOriented on 5/7/2015

I’ve actually always found it kind of strange that ‘London got stolen by bats’ appears at the top of everybody’s profile, while in-game, the bat-like nature of the Masters is a well-kept secret. Ah well.

Incidentally, this might’ve fit better at The Salon than here at The Bazaar, ironically enough.

Oh shoot.

I, for one, have seen enough strange things in the neath to make the concept of a sky-shattering amount of bats picking up a city and flying it down beneath the surface seem downright plausible. Honestly, it’s almost more surprising that they don’t engage in the errant bit of city-theft to pass the time; they must get terribly bored.

Funnily enough, I’ve never seen any bat-related thing in Fallen London?

VA, in this context &quotthe Bazaar takes a city&quot means loosely something like this: &quotThe entities known as the Masters of the Bazaar conclude a transaction with individuals representing the leadership of the city whereby the city is physically removed from the Earth’s surface and relocated to a subterranean cavern called the Neath, while the political control of the city indirectly vests with the Masters&quot

This much is taken for granted in the initial framing of the game. Who the masters are, what the Bazaar is, why they would want to &quottake&quot a city and why would a city wish to be taken - all of these are not intended to be clear at the beginning and are revealed as you uncover more content.

ETA: On your profile at the very top the following text can be found:

&quotThree decades ago, London was stolen by bats. Dragged deep into the earth by the Echo Bazaar. The sun is gone. All we have is the gas-light of Mr Fires. But Londoners can get used to anything. And it’s quiet down here with the devils and the darkness and the mushroom wine. Peaceful.

But then YOU arrived.&quot
edited by genesis on 5/7/2015

You will.

Thank you to all those who replied.