The Apicius Club

a single compromising document and all the revolutionary connections, iirc[li]
edited by IHNIWTR on 2/18/2014

You have. Freeing yourself of your connection to them does not change the fact that they now have that most valuable piece of information. For shame, sir. For shame.

I’d happily give up Master’s Blood for the book, but only once I’ve obtained it through another means (which I will not have time to do in the week that the Apicus story line will stay up, sadly).

[li]

[quote=A B Nile]You have. Freeing yourself of your connection to them does not change the fact that they now have that most valuable piece of information. For shame, sir. For shame.

I’d happily give up Master’s Blood for the book, but only once I’ve obtained it through another means (which I will not have time to do in the week that the Apicus story line will stay up, sadly).[/quote]
Thanks, A B Nile. I was actually considering giving the accursed Revolutionaries the location of the Nadir for a few moments, but you have steeled my resolve. No book is worth helping them to bury all in universal darkness; for a start, it’d be hard to read the damned thing.
[li]

honestly, I’m really regretting it now. I guess it’s sort of the point? A moment of greed leading to a bad decision and a glittering price, but at a terrible cost?

I just hope I haven’t screwed myself over too badly here. I’d love a challenge in taking down the Liberation, and if I had previously helped advancing it then it would make for some lovely pathos, but I wouldn’t want to have just ensured their inevitable success…[li]
edited by IHNIWTR on 2/18/2014

Well, the problem could be the opposite, IHNIWTR; their success may be inevitable regardless of whether or not one ever furthers the Liberation of Night, and thus those of us who refuse to assist them are depriving ourselves for nothing.

That said, I hope we eventually get the chance to fight them, and maybe even win.

I’m having the same doubts… I also sold the Location to the Revolutionaries. I was clueless about the Liberation of Night at the time, and I’ve since severed all ties with them.

I still don’t know whether I’ll side with them in the long run…

Anyway, I just sold my hard-earned Master’s Blood to the Apicius Club and I’m very happy.

[quote=Cocytus]Well, the problem could be the opposite, IHNIWTR; their success may be inevitable regardless of whether or not one ever furthers the Liberation of Night, and thus those of us who refuse to assist them are depriving ourselves for nothing.

That said, I hope we eventually get the chance to fight them, and maybe even win.[/quote]

[li]Indeed, it could. My own reasons for not selling the Location are more general than a wish not to aid the Revolutionaries. It would simply not be in my character’s nature to aid any single faction above others. A piece of information that EVERYBODY wants to know is a valuable commodity indeed. Not to mention that what I know about the Liberation of the Night makes me want to do whatever I can to prevent it from coming about.

I’m not suggesting that I would never give up the Nadir’s location; but the prize would have to be greater than some Barbara Cartland knock-off…

Thanks for the info! :) I think I will sacrifice the MB. I sold the Nadir location to the Revs to get it (back when that was the only way to get MB) and I’ve always kind of regretted helping them, but at the same time it is one of my favourite items, so… spreads hands I’d probably do the same again.

In fact, I guess I am, since this is much the same sort of decision, except this time I’m helping a club I’m actually interested in. My Destiny IS Appetite after all. toothy grin

(I am NOT, however, giving them my River In A Box. MINE. clutches posessively)
edited by Inky Petrel on 2/18/2014

Has anyone dared choose St Cerise? Seven actions and the candle. It’s makes me very curious, but that was the hardest candle for me to obtain…

The important thing about the location of the Nadir is that its value is depreciating by the second. You didn’t leave the Nadir alone, and at least one witness didn’t side with you. That means the Location is out there, and depending on who you chose, already being delivering to March. Selling it to February is just playing one hand against the other.

edit: Also, a lot of people tend to assume that there’s no morally supportable option when it comes to selling the Location but there is, in fact, one. YOu just have to be willing to accept a sizable smaller amount of echoes, heh.
edited by varinn on 2/18/2014
edited by varinn on 2/18/2014

I sold the location to the Great Game - just to get that five card lodging at the Embassy. I’m a long way off getting Master’s Blood from the Sommelier so I hope that there will be another way to get a Crimson Book. But my alt has one so I’m not unhappy.

Alas, with the Portly Sommelier in hiding (I haven’t seen him in a week, when we used to have lengthy conversations on quite a regular basis!), it’ll probably take an awful long time to convert 175 Cellars into 1 vial…

Yes just as the Portly Sommelier actually became more useful it was one of the cards whose frequency was reduced (at least I saw Flyte say so on the forum here - http://community.failbettergames.com/topic7550-opportunity-cards-keep-or-discard.aspx#post58284)

[quote=lady ciel ]Yes just as the Portly Sommelier actually became more useful it was one of the cards whose frequency was reduced (at least I saw Flyte say so on the forum here…)[/quote][color=#C2B280]Err, nope. Its frequency was reduced quite some time ago; certainly before Alexis decided to start writing weekly snippets, or make one of them De Gustibus, or add a branch unlocked by Masters’ Blood.

I’m not entirely sure if this was meant as an observation or as a complaint. If the latter, well – the card was widely complained about during the community consultation. So it has since become both less frequent and more useful. If as a result of these changes, made in response to community feedback, players have gone from seeing it as an annoyance to regarding it as a useful part of that deck – doesn’t that count as a success?[/color]

[li]
The result is on the wiki. It’s just as bad as the maniacal laughter implies.

[quote=Flyte][quote=lady ciel ]Yes just as the Portly Sommelier actually became more useful it was one of the cards whose frequency was reduced (at least I saw Flyte say so on the forum here…)[/quote][color=rgb(194, 178, 128)]Err, nope. Its frequency was reduced quite some time ago; certainly before Alexis decided to start writing weekly snippets, or make one of them De Gustibus, or add a branch unlocked by Masters’ Blood.

I’m not entirely sure if this was meant as an observation or as a complaint. If the latter, well – the card was widely complained about during the community consultation. So it has since become both less frequent and more useful. If as a result of these changes, made in response to community feedback, players have gone from seeing it as an annoyance to regarding it as a useful part of that deck – doesn’t that count as a success?[/color][/quote]

Perhaps it is a little churlish of me to complain, but it does strike me as a slightly bizarre reaction to complaints that a card is too frequent and not useful to a). change the card so that it’s extremely useful and simultaneously b). reduce the frequency so much that the card only pops up once every few weeks. Make one of those changes, yes - but why both? Now, instead of complaining that the card comes too frequently, all the community are going to do is complain it doesn’t come frequently enough! :D

[li]

It was an observation - not a complaint. Though I always liked the Portly Sommelier card, even before the introduction of the possibility of getting Master’s Blood. It was one of my favourite money making opportunity cards, of course I regret all the Airag I sold now:) (adding smiley as I don’t want to come across as critical)

[quote=Lady Red]Perhaps it is a little churlish of me to complain, but it does strike me as a slightly bizarre reaction to complaints that a card is too frequent and not useful to a). change the card so that it’s extremely useful and simultaneously b). reduce the frequency so much that the card only pops up once every few weeks. Make one of those changes, yes - but why both? Now, instead of complaining that the card comes too frequently, all the community are going to do is complain it doesn’t come frequently enough![/quote][color=#C2B280]Not churlish at all! The thing to bear in mind is that, in so far as the card has become more useful, it is only so for a rather small subset of players: those in need of rare Wines items. If it still appeared with standard frequency, I suspect it would still be looked upon as a nuisance by many players.

Incidentally, I have always been puzzled by players’ dislike for the card: the lower level conversions it offers have always been unusually profitable, and I always played it when I could.

We’ve received some requests to make the Sommelier summonable via Favourable Circumstances. This strikes me as a good idea, though I’d personally prefer to wait until the current snippet has expired. Otherwise I foresee allegations that we’re picking players’ pockets with our pleonectic tentacles, and I’m a little tired just now of dealing with them.[/color]
edited by Flyte on 2/19/2014

[color=#ff9900]I want to point out that my tentacles aren’t pleonectic, they’re frondular.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]And Paul’s tentacles are… y’know. Arty.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]

[color=#ff9900]I couldn’t speak to everyone else’s tentacles. I try not to enquire.[/color]

Just a drive-by comment to say that “pleonectic” is an excellent word. I had to google. I love when that happens :D