The Ambitions [SPOILERS IN ABUNDANCE]

Intriguing~ I had planned on keeping them until I was done with the ambition, but if they come in handy within the story I may use them.

…Hmf. I’ve got Heart’s Desire, and the cost of doin’ stuff seems a lot higher than the other ambitions.
(The coins: yikes! The monkey wanting a barrel of honey: double yikes!)
I was enjoying the plot okay until it came time to pay the Manager, and I can’t.
I haven’t got enough Fire dreams and they never spawn; I have no idea what this Key thing is and it looks like I can’t get it until I buy a boat; and the brass option doesn’t work.
So I’ve been stuck at the “pay the Manager” phase for over a month now, with no progress in sight. :-/

[quote=PlatypusNinja2]…Hmf. I’ve got Heart’s Desire, and the cost of doin’ stuff seems a lot higher than the other ambitions.
(The coins: yikes! The monkey wanting a barrel of honey: double yikes!)
I was enjoying the plot okay until it came time to pay the Manager, and I can’t.
I haven’t got enough Fire dreams and they never spawn; I have no idea what this Key thing is and it looks like I can’t get it until I buy a boat; and the brass option doesn’t work.
So I’ve been stuck at the “pay the Manager” phase for over a month now, with no progress in sight. :-/[/quote]

Honestly? I’d say use the key. Keep in mind that ambitions are meant to stretch over your ENTIRE playthrough pretty much. The point where you need the key is pretty much the end… so don’t be concerned too much about needing a boat.

Evening, I need a little help with my Ambition progress. I’ve chosen Nemesis and have progressed to the Forgotten Quarter which is where the trouble started.

I successfully advanced to Forgotten Quarter 3 and received “The Traces of Red Honey” but afterwards it took me straight to Forgotten Quarter 4, jumping over the “Junior Fellow” and “Brewing up Gaoler’s Honey”.

Now I am at the Shattered Palace 4 and both of the “Answer the Question” options are locked for me because I am unfortunately not in the possession of “One Who Has Indulged in Unknown Pleasures 1” or the “Uncanny Incanabula”. My questions is, of course, how do I proceed and why did the Ambition jump over that small but terribly interesting section? (I would have loved to see the Chambers of the Heart). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried visiting other locations, such as the University?

I have just visited the University, thank you for that advice! Indeed, there are more options open for me now. I confess, I’m not a frequent visitor to the University as there is little to nothing for me to do, usually.

:) i like my vake-hunting ambition so far, though i find that it requires too much grinding sometimes.
i found it more enjoyable when i went away for hundreds of turns/actions away to pursue the dangerous options in wolfstack, and came back to it later. forgotten quarter is quite dull (until you find the stones), though it’s much cheaper to buy access to. that in turn made me spend more time on shadowy options. spite is too overly focused on stealing things, but the flit sounds very intriguing. made me wish i went for light fingers.
in general, i think i enjoyed being a black ribboner (and pissing off jack of smiles) a lot more than running around looking for some mythical creature who sounds like a guy who dresses like a bat.

I started with nemesis, but i changed after cheating a bit and reading a few months worth of other peoples echoes. I was almost chose light fingers for the orphanage, but I ended up going with heart’s desire as that seemed to fit my character’s story the best. there’s a lot of work left to do with all the ambitions, if the fact that you only have the topsy king in on the game at the barrier is any indication, and i await the rest of the story with bated breath.

but as for the earlier opinion about the topsy king I have only this to say: if you talk to Tristam when he is really Tristam, not the Topsy King, he seems really unhappy being the Topsy King, and he wants to go in double or nothing to win his mind back. or at least, what was left of his mind after writing most of his masterpiece.

That’s what I’m trying to tell myself, though I can’t help but think that considering my character’s behavior until now, his best choice would be to let Tristram be happy being the Topsy King, never to be Tristram Bagley again ^^

Anyone else at Topsy King 15 and getting an option that’s just ellipses? Is this a bug? I don’t want to click on it because I feel like there should be actual words there. It’s one of the options under “The last you saw of Cora Bagley was a bloodied headscarf in the Forgotten Quarter…” and has a generic picture of rooftops. Title “…” and description “…”

As I recall, and I could be wrong because it’s been a very long time, there should be three options at Topsy King 15 to convince Cora of your well meaning intentions*. One to charm her, which requires Facination, one called Warmth which I think was a Persuasive or Watchful challenge and a Dangerous challenge called Impatience. This might have changed retroactively, however and, were I you, I might choose the “…” option and, if something goes amiss, send in a bug report.

*The intention being to engage him in a card game in which he lost his mind.

One almost gets the impression that you’re having second thoughts, dear. Where there are winners, there will always be losers.

I agree. I also think that, in the end, all of the Ambitions will give the player more than enough information about all of the key secrets of the Masters, the Bazaar, and Fallen London. I could be wrong about that, but the disclosures people have chosen to vouchsafe about the other Ambitions persuades me that I am not.

I’m not convinced that it was meant to be a major milestone, given what you learn from him in the Iron Republic.

When I first came to London, it was in search of a rather large diamond. Since then, I seem to have found myself wrapped in a rather suspect plot of the Masters and an orphanage, that, to be honest, holds very little interest to me. I’ve also found myself in possession of a package of Lethean Tea Leaves. Now, I ask this question. For a budding infernologist, which ambition, if any, weaves itself into the mysteries that are Hell and its Devils?

Did you sip the goalers honey in your inventory?

I think the more recently released content is just a part of the “chapter”, the milestone possibly being the next section: for Heart’s Desire, the trip to Polythreme yields a quest in Spite to be completed before your mission there can be deemed successful, so I think (hope?) that the Fate will be awarded in that occasion.

Just checking that I’m understanding correctly: I’m waiting to meet the manager for Heart’s Desire. Other than keeping my nightmares between 5 and 7 (correct?) is there any place in particular where I should wait?

[quote=Ewan C.]Just checking that I’m understanding correctly: I’m waiting to meet the manager for Heart’s Desire. Other than keeping my nightmares between 5 and 7 (correct?) is there any place in particular where I should wait?

And of course having inquired, the RNG gives me a ‘Cheery Gentleman’ card that now has a new option. Onward! :)

Word of advice to those of you doing the Light Fingers ambition: If you decide to do the storyline at the University, resist the temptation to be honest about what you find (you’re a thief, it shouldn’t be hard). My adventures overzees got totally derailed because Dr. Vaughn wouldn’t help me if I was Unwelcome at the University. I lost over a day zailing back and forth, with nothing to show for it.

By the way, this is just one of a couple of frustrations the game sprang on me when it put the next step of the Ambition across the Unterzee. I had to spend an age grinding my stats to become a Person of Some Importance, an aeon gathering components for my Zubmarine, and now even more time on a Voyage of Scientific Discovery. This kills the pacing.