That d---able Lady Luck!

So we already have the thread celebrating good fortune, why not the other kind? How did you (or that scarlet woman Lady Luck) manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

Today, I had 2 examples: First, I used a script to auto-equip my persuasive gear (including the mod bonnet) at scandal 7, sending me immediately to the tomb colonies.

Second, I paid my way into Mahagony Hall today, leaving me with no ridiculous hats or talkative rats to finetune my watchful to 82. I of course find this out after waking up on a particular boat . . .

You know, I considered adding functionality to that script to at least warn of that sort of thing, but decided against it. In some small part because I wanted there to still be perils to the game, but also largely because it would have been a lot of work to add and I have better equipment these days… Sorry to hear you got bit by my laziness.

I had the absolute worst luck on my last trip to Polythreme. I was consistently failing luck checks even when buying my Investigating & Fascinating and failed, not once but twice, the “guaranteed” way to get those qualities to 12.

Not that my luck is all bad. I got my library on my first go and I only failed 1 luck challenge in my entire search for the Name. That’s about as fortunate as they come!

A pretty awful streak of bad luck has taken my number of Scraps from 103 to 7. bloody relickers

I didn’t realize that Dramatic Tension counted as a progress quality. I pushed out to Zee. I’m going to have to do the ruddy War of Assassins storylet again.

No worries, I considered it my own fault for not being careful (although I’m wondering why it equipped my mod bonnet as opposed to my Gentleman’s Hat . . ) the benefits of that script far outway this tiny negative.

A bit off topic, but if you haven’t visited your “myself” page since buying it, that would be why. It only builds the equipment list at that page, since information on what slots items can be equipped in isn’t readily available at the front page of the bazaar.

On topic, my worst loosing streak so far is failing 7 out of 8 luck tests with the black lense in the fidgeting writer storyline. My only solace is that there is someone who fared even worse.

I’ve got luck I don’t need - 6 out of 6 Marks of Credit on luck checks, but it’s a good month or two before I could contemplate going to the Iron Republic, I’m not even a POSI. I felt so guilty reading people’s tales of failure on this item when they actually were trying to go to the Iron Republic NOW.

But, luck I could actually USE is hard to find - for instance the Someone is Coming card? My Someone is Coming heading towards [color=9999CC]xx18x x19x20xx[/color] 21 right now. I could get 5 or 6 of these cards in a row (no I haven’t done the math) and still have progress points left over.

It’s funny. After discarding the cards I can’t use over and over and over (A presumptuous little opportunity, A libraryette for Mr Pages, The Duchess has a list, The song of the Mandrake, Spiders and flies, etc. etc.) I’m sure if and when I can use them they’ll be as hard to get as Someone is Coming is now. (I’ve even thought about purchasing a sorrow-spider, just to see if the Spiders and flies card would suddenly stop coming up. LOL)

(last edit - Someone is coming quality keeps growing, it is now over 20!)
edited by Aryenke on 5/29/2012
edited by Aryenke on 5/30/2012
edited by Aryenke on 5/31/2012
edited by Aryenke on 5/31/2012

Just opened my 30th box with no Starveling Cat. Do we know what the odds are supposed to be on it?

30 boxes with no Starveling was in the same ballpark as my odds as I recall. It’s a law of large numbers grind. Keep at it mate.

I’ve gone three straight days with no advancement on the Jack of Smiles case. It’s getting rather old.

After acquiring a Yacht on the first try, I vowed to never complain about my luck again. But I do find myself in the same boat as Aspeon - although I haven’t been counting the exact number of boxes - and still 2 more Stains to go…

I got about a 100 invites reward message along the lines of "[Your friend] has joined Fallen London. Your watchful quality cannot increase beyond 130.] right before the day the cap is raised and Jack’s case is released.

Luckily, I got my watchful up with Jack’s Case and I am in no hurry to get quality change points.

After successfully taking my relationship with the Barbed Wit to 6, I’m now pursuing the Acclaimed Beauty (I lost my first occasion for a threesom and like hell I’ll miss this one too), so now I can’t rely on the “conflict” options anymore. Anyway, I calculated than building Fascinating… up to 14 (straightforward test) wasn’t convenient, as it would take 48 CP, while failing the test at 10 (modest) would only take 20 CP to rebuild to get to 10 again, thus even if I failed the modest challenge two times in a row, it would be more efficient than going for the straightforward test.

…And I just failed it three times in a row -.-"

Not a great bad luck altogether, it’s just maths, but I posted to verify the truth on luck and the Power of Posting :)

UPDATE: Checking if PoP works… Apparently, it does. Yippee!! :)
edited by streetfelineblue on 6/1/2012

A week too late. All too common. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. Not this time. All too common. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. The perils of academia. All too common. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The last bite. Not this time. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. The perils of academia. All too common. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The last bite. Not this time. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. The perils of academia. All too common. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The last bite. Not this time. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. The perils of academia. All too common. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The last bite. Not this time. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. The perils of academia. All too common. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The last bite. Not this time. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. The perils of academia. All too common. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. All too common. The room next door. The last bite. Not this time. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. Not this time. All too common. The room next door. A week too late. Not this time. Not this time. Not this time.

(This is starting to feel scaringly similar to Jack Torrance’s typewritten message in The Shining O_o )

No TV and no beer make Homer something something.

search for the name?

search for the name?[/quote]

Oh man, what if a future step in SMEN required you to get 5 coruscating souls?

It would be a “long odds” luck check, and the souls would be lost on a failure.