Thanksgiving in Fallen London

Any thoughts of what Thanksgiving would look like in Fallen London?

This question has been plaguing me like a certain hunger… for Turkey obviously ;)

I wonder if Fallen London’s American population is large and cohesive enough to sustain any such large-scale observation - and whether the Masters would allow it, or seek to direct it.

Were there many Americans in London during the mid-1800s? I doubt there would be enough for it to have much significance. It might interest the Masters if they could co-opt it like they did Christmas, though.

I was thinking it would just be a small gathering. A few American expats getting together.

Mushroom wine is obvious. Not sure about the rest.

Typical meal consists of a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.

It’s not clear how many Americans typically celebrated Thanksgiving during the 19th century. Wikipedia notes: &quotThanksgiving, currently celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November by federal legislation in 1941, has been an annual tradition in the United States by presidential proclamation since 1863 and by state legislation since the Founding Fathers of the United States.&quot However, our London fell before 1863 and most American expats living in it would have arrived before the Fall. For more tidbits on thanksgiving celebrations in general, see Wikipedia’s article (linked by Endy earlier).

In other words, there probably were adequate Americans living in London before and after the date of the Fall to gather and celebrate an American holiday, but I doubt that Thanksgiving was sufficiently common in America as of the period portrayed in FBG’s game for expatriates to want to celebrate it. I also think that it would be an abomination to take a harvest festival (which Thanksgiving is) and try to transplant it to a place where the only things harvested are mushrooms…and rats.
edited by cathyr19355 on 11/27/2013

The Feast of Rats! Give thanks to the Masters for all the wonderful dampness and gloom of the Neath by sending hundreds of rats to all your friends! I’m sure there’s a certain member of these forums that would be fully on board with this idea.