Taking a look at FATE as a mechanic

Some might even submit a bug report about it not taking their fate. Actually I can see a lot of people doing that.

[quote=Saklad]
Oh god, I forgot about that option. That is almost certainly the worst Fate option in the game, depending on your criteria. I know the point is that it isn’t understandable, but they really shouldn’t trick people into actually spending Fate like that. There’s a reason that the only Fate option in SMEN explicitly tells you it isn’t worth doing.

Here’s an idea for a change: in the spirit of the Iron Republic, don’t actually remove Fate when someone plays that.[/quote]

It’s probably not an intentional trick per se (it’s just another pay-for-benefits branch in IR alongside quirk changes), but the way it is presented is not in line with the other paid gameplay branches (you don’t expect to see interesting text from buying Honeyed Laudanum) so it tends to be very disappointing.

Oh god, I forgot about that option. That is almost certainly the worst Fate option in the game, depending on your criteria. I know the point is that it isn’t understandable, but they really shouldn’t trick people into actually spending Fate like that. There’s a reason that the only Fate option in SMEN explicitly tells you it isn’t worth doing.[li]

Here’s an idea for a change: in the spirit of the Iron Republic, don’t actually remove Fate when someone plays that.[/quote]

I disagree. Just seeing that got such a laugh out of me that, in retrospect, it would have absolutely been worth tipping them a dollar for it.

Heck, maybe I’ll stop by the Republic on my way to Mutton Island for Fruits and just go for it.
edited by aegisaglow on 8/21/2017

In general, I agree … however in the case of the Disgraced Bandit-Chief … maybe the exception is (adorably) acceptable:

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22767-disgraced-no-longer.aspx

There’s also an extremely useful Fate option (sort of) for Cerise, though the quality itself is independent of SMEN.

There’s also an extremely useful Fate option (sort of) for Cerise, though the quality itself is independent of SMEN.[/quote]
In other words, there’s a Fate option outside of SMEN that makes SMEN somewhat easier. There are plenty of those.