Table three at the feast of the year

“Oh, I’m sorry,
Krawald is my name, and the kitten… Oh! Where is it? I swear it was in my pocket just a minute ago ! Loon?Loon! Where are you?”

“Oh, I’m sorry,
Krawald is my name, and the kitten… Oh! Where is it? I swear it was in my pocket just a minute ago ! Loon?Loon! Where are you?”

Ryan places his hand on Krawald’s shoulder. “Fear not, together we shall solve the case of the misplaced kitten! Eglantine, would you care to assist us?”

“It’s a kitten, I think getting lost may be their greatest joy. I doubt it’s gone far,” they note. “Most likely it’ll turn up, all the more smug for making you worry.”

“A fair point. But, good friend, remember that the Neath is teeming with monsters, both human and not. What if they decide to sell the poor thing at the Bazaar? Or if the Ministry places it into their so called pounds? Or if it starts having romantic notions with other kittens?!”

“Too young to get romantic, and I’ve never yet seen a pound because the Duchess wouldn’t allow it. But… one moment?” Eglantine gets up and ducks out briefly, returning with a large, night-dark cat of haughty demeanour and impeccably-brushed long fur. “This fine Harlequin has misplaced a kitten. If you would be so kind?”

The cat sniffs at Krawald, before padding off, with a mild “Indeed.”

“There. Who better than a cat to find a kitten?”

Ryan applauds boisterously. “Brilliant idea, absolutely brilliant! I’m not sure where you found that cat, but no matter, you are quite right, the kitten is sure to be found!” He then leans in to whisper to his table-mates, his voice replaced with an edge not before. “Now, I was hoping that we could all help one another. As I’m sure you’re all aware, a great many confessions have been flying around. I’d be more than happy to trade, if any of you are willing.” The jolly in his voice returns. “But first, do you think we should say hello to our host? I’d think it rude not to!”

“The cat? She’s mine, or I’m hers, or we happen to both live in houses I hold legal possession of and eat food I exchange money for, or something to that effect.” Eglantine snorts. “Exact ownership is difficult with cats.”

They swirl the wine in their glass lazily. “I’d be happy to trade confessions, in the spirit of friendly exchange.”

“Thank you, Eglantine, I’m sure that will be a great help. With all the mirrors around here, Loon could be anywhere by now!” Then, turning to Ryan, “Confessions, indeed… I heard Lettice wrote about something… interesting, but I haven’t been able to find out the details. Perhaps one of your could help? I have delicious secrets about the crimes committed by the Kashmiri Princess, the Soft-Hearted Widow or, if nothing else will do, the Captivating Princess that I could share in exchange.”

“Please, do feel free to take this.” From somewhere in that red-dragon costume, Eglantine extracts an oilpaper package and passes it to Krawald. “You’ll find what you seek there. I mind little what’s exchanged for it.”

“Ah, blast. I have nothing on the Lettice unfortunately. I only have the Widow’s confession and our dear Mayor’s, and have need of the Illuminated Gentleman’s. Hmm… Quite the conundrum. Oh dear, I hope I haven’t made our conversation too businesslike and boring! Come!” And he lifts his wine cup. “Let’s drink and drink again! To newfound friendships!”

Krawald quickly hides the package in a pocket and gives Eglantine a sealed envelope in exchange. “Thank you! It is not for me, of course, but a companion of mine, a tigress, has developed quite an appetite. As for the Illuminated Gentleman, I haven’t heard from him, but I might have a friend who has, I could put you in touch. But you are right, of course.” Lifting a glass, “to newfound friendships and our delicious host.”

“I am quite curious,” begins Ryan, "how long you two have been in the Neath. As for myself, I only arrived… last month? But apparently there have been some who have lived here for years! So, are we all greenhorns to London’s streets, or am I in the presence of two quite experienced Lodoners?

Eglantine lifts their glass to join the toast, though silently, before answering Ryan. “I’ve been here, oh, about half a year, maybe longer? It seems longer, but time is strange down here.”

Ryan’s eyes widen, happy to have been lucky enough to meet someone so well-versed. “Then, Eglantine, you must know many things. Do you have a special someone? Or do you prefer to avoid matters of the heart?” He quickly added, “Of course, I only meant to ask as polite conversation, not as a roundabout courtship.”

There’s an outburst of laughter. “You really are new, aren’t you? Many someones are or have been special to me - I’ve… something of a reputation for it.” Behind the mask, Eglantine’s eyes gleam with amusement. “I hie to our dear Mayor’s school of sin, in my way of it.”

“And to Krawald: Firstly, I would love to meet any friends of yours! You certainly have a pleasant demeanor. Secondly, how do you fare in the journey of romance?”

Ryan’s eyes turn to Eglantine with curiosity. “Oh-ho! Please, do tell, if there are any stories to tell! I’m afraid my own romantic endeavours are far less exciting. I’ve fallen hopelessly in love with an artist’s model, and I plan to stay that way.”

Sipping their wine, Eglantine speaks lazily, every syllable dipped in licentious undertones. “Well, if you want to be good at anything, even sinning, you have to practice.” They laugh quietly. “Though the rumours betimes outpace reality - pay no heed if you hear a song linking my name with Feducci’s, if you please? That one, at least, is false.” They consider the matter a moment longer before adding, “The one about tumultuous romances in the Empress’ Court is fairly true, though. As is the one about the most charming zee-captain of the docks.”

Ryan finishes off the last of his coffee. If it was even possible, he seems to be exhibiting the signs of a child with a sugar high even more than before. “Ah, I’d heard about those last two. I’m not even sure how one could be, er, intimate with Feducci. Especially not after I had the terrifying honor of dueling him.” Ryan leaped atop his chair and thrusted his arm. “He may be the most dangerous man in the Neath! And his weapon!” Ryan slumped back into his chair, sighing. “I was lucky to escape with my life!”