Subject:New & Confused

[li]I’m new - been playing about two weeks and although I’m enjoying it I’m also completely confused. I just bumble about with no plan, no idea what’s going on and no real sense of whether I’m making any progress.
My Watchful is 54, Persuasive is 44, Dangerous is 38 and Shadowy is 37. I’ve also got some clothing, weapons etc that elevate these scores if necessary.
I’ve been sent to the lunatic asylum and the colonies once each (I have trouble controlling my nightmares and my scandal) and unless I can start to get a bit of a grip on what I’m doing I think I might find myself losing interest. I don’t have any friends who play (or who are interested in playing) so any help or advice would be appreciated.

[quote=Bunnydog][li]I’m new - been playing about two weeks and although I’m enjoying it I’m also completely confused. I just bumble about with no plan, no idea what’s going on and no real sense of whether I’m making any progress.
My Watchful is 54, Persuasive is 44, Dangerous is 38 and Shadowy is 37. I’ve also got some clothing, weapons etc that elevate these scores if necessary.
I’ve been sent to the lunatic asylum and the colonies once each (I have trouble controlling my nightmares and my scandal) and unless I can start to get a bit of a grip on what I’m doing I think I might find myself losing interest. I don’t have any friends who play (or who are interested in playing) so any help or advice would be appreciated.[/quote]
well, first of all- try to enjoy stories and gather resources- that’s pretty much what you do during the entire storylines. If you don’t like reading, this isn’t the game for you. try as many different stories as possible, and make associates to do team-ups with. flip cards and don’t hesitate to discard. i don’t know what you want to do, so i can’t give good advice.
[/li]

Well, making a few friends in the game is a good start, since that enables ‘Social Actions’… helpful for building up Second Chances, and for lowering Nightmares, Scandal, and so on.

Also, if you haven’t already, you should pick an Ambition. Pursuing that is basically supposed to be your guide-wire in the game, directing you to progress, learn, and grow in order to continue it. There are four different ones, each centering on one of the main stats with another as secondary. Of course, no matter what ambition you pursue, it’s always a good idea to build up your stats, connections and wealth in any way you can…

Oh, and make sure you check the wiki at http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Echo_Bazaar_Wiki - it can be very helpful at figuring out what things do, are for, and require.

[quote=BlakeTheDrake] Also, if you haven’t already, you should pick an Ambition.

My ambition appears to be ‘Lightfingers’?

I am getting messages, which I invariably accept, but these aren’t leading me anywhere…

Can I add that I’ve never played a game like this so that’s probably not helping the confusion.

I love the atmosphere and the humour but I’d like to have a plan - is this possible or am I missing the point?
[li]

Having a plan is entirely possible, and encouraged - but outside of the Ambition, you mostly need to make your OWN goal. Obtaining the Hesperidian Cider, and thus immortality? Ushering in the coming of the Heptagoat, and solving its mysteries? Answering the greatest questions of the Neath? Or perhaps just seeing all there is to see down here.

A large portion of the way, however, is the same for any destination: Increasing your wealth and influence in the Neath. Raise skills, collect valuable, accumulate Echoes, get better gear, and thus open up new opportunities.

As for ‘Light Fingers’, that is indeed an Ambition - namely, to obtain incredible wealth by stealing a humongous diamond. That means you should focus on Shadowy pursuits, with Persuasiveness a close second… essentially, seek to become a master thief and con-man. If you don’t remember where to go to proceed with your Ambition, just check what level of Ambition you’ve got, and cross-reference it with this handy-dandy guide: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ambition:_Light_Fingers!

…as you can see, you’ve still got much to do! Best get to it, eh?

I think bumbling around in a confused manner is normal in the beginning. After all, your character suddenly found themselves in a very strange world and are confused as well! I recommend joining the IRC, #fallenlondon on SynIRC. And don’t worry, things will get clearer with time.