Strange Lore Questions

All of these seemed too small to ask alone, so I figured, why not advertise my various gaps in knowledge en masse?

1: Are you conscious when you consume Prisoner’s Honey? I mean, I know that when you’re honey-mazed you phase in and out of reality, but do you conk out when consuming Prisoner’s Honey normally, or is it like daydreams under the influence of some illicit substance?

1. Does anybody know what the Sigil of the Masters mentioned on the bottom of our “River in A Box” looks like?

2. Are Devils immortal? I’ve heard rumors you can’t kill them per se, but can they, y’know, age?

1- Can you be called ‘conscious’ or ‘unconscious’ if you’re physically transported into your own dreams?

2- No idea, I’m afraid.

3- Devils do seem to reach terribly great ages. Has anyone ever seen one dead? How about their bones?

A question of my own: what backs Fallen London’s currency? Actual echoes?

I have a set of dice that are purportedly made of such; but then again I’ve no way of establishing the veracity of that claim.

[quote=David ][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

3- Devils do seem to reach terribly great ages. Has anyone ever seen one dead? How about their bones?

[/quote]

I have a set of dice that are purportedly made of such; but then again I’ve no way of establishing the veracity of that claim.[/quote]
I saw one melt when i “killed” it so I think Devil bones do not exist. I could be wrong though…

[quote=Jack Blackstone][quote=David ][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

[/quote]

I have a set of dice that are purportedly made of such; but then again I’ve no way of establishing the veracity of that claim.[/quote]
I saw one melt when i “killed” it so I think Devil bones do not exist. I could be wrong though…[/quote]

One wonders what Devils Bone dice are made out of then.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]
A question of my own: what backs Fallen London’s currency? Actual echoes?[/quote]

Well, at least we know the current echoes are memories of the first currency used by the bazaar. I guess they might be similar to the old?

[quote=amaresu][quote=Jack Blackstone][quote=David ][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

[/quote]

I saw one melt when i “killed” it so I think Devil bones do not exist. I could be wrong though…[/quote]

One wonders what Devils Bone dice are made out of then.[/quote]

Perhaps their infernal donor simply isn’t dead.

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]
A question of my own: what backs Fallen London’s currency? Actual echoes?[/quote]

Well, at least we know the current echoes are memories of the first currency used by the bazaar. I guess they might be similar to the old?[/quote]

I believe the first currency used was similar to the substance that powers The Marvellous if I recall what the Numinatrix said correctly.

"Coins and games and sides "

The Numismatrix is alone among the dead trees. If she found any other takers for her lecture, they’re late. She greets you with a nod, and starts talking. It’s not her usual sing-song voice, but an alto purr.
'Coins. You wish me to discuss coins. Very well. Echoes first. The ones you have in your purse are indeed echoes. Reflections of the first currency ever used by the Bazaar. Before it even thought about buying cities. You’ll probably never see any of the underlying fundamental Coins. I never have. There’s only around a dozen of them, I’ve heard, and the Masters won’t touch them. Fascinating, no?
‘Something different now. Have you heard of the First City Coins? Little silver things, cedar tree on one side. I deal in them occasionally. They’re not from the First City itself, of course. The actual coins are no more than thirty years old. But they represent something ancient. Fragments of a primal power, locked away in the Masters’ vaults since the deal that bought the First City. Of course, the Masters don’t buy or sell that stuff any more. They gamble it sometimes, though. A game called the Marvellous.
There’s other coins out there too. Not that you’d recognise them - they’re not all minted metal discs. But the principle’s the same. Each is a promise to pay. And such promises! The great and the good want them; dockside villains want them; even the Church. There are strange fortunes to be made by trading these currencies. If it’s a game you want to play, you need to choose a side…
[An opportunity to make that choice will appear soon.]

(Here’s a lot of what she said, at least…) There’s a dozen left of the fundamentals, so we might get to know them =)
edited by Aximillio on 2/20/2013

[quote=Jack Blackstone][quote=David ][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

[/quote]

When did you kill a Devil? Is this ambition content, or…?

[quote=Alexander Feld][quote=Jack Blackstone][quote=David ][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

[/quote]

When did you kill a Devil? Is this ambition content, or…?[/quote]

In all likelihood, it probably, oddly enough, was a Devil who gave them to him. Them, and some scraps of brass, in exchange for his eternal soul. A fair trade? You decide.

Unless he picked them up last Christmas off some deadbeat. Then disregard what I just wrote.

Of course, whose bones they were, is another question entirely.
edited by Zmflavius on 2/22/2013

[quote=Zmflavius][quote=Alexander Feld][quote=Jack Blackstone][quote=David ][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

[/quote]

When did you kill a Devil? Is this ambition content, or…?[/quote]

In all likelihood, it probably, oddly enough, was a Devil who gave them to him. Them, and some scraps of brass, in exchange for his eternal soul. A fair trade? You decide.

Unless he picked them up last Christmas off some deadbeat. Then disregard what I just wrote.

Of course, whose bones they were, is another question entirely.
edited by Zmflavius on 2/22/2013[/quote]

So then it’s not a stretch to think Devils are quite long-lived. I guess that explains why so many in London fall to Hellish activities. Perhaps they hope to make the jump.

I’ve always felt that Prisoner Honey was just like dreaming expect for the fact you are aware and can control it to an extent… been a while since I’ve used it.

I’ve always felt that Prisoner Honey was just like dreaming expect for the fact you are aware and can control it to an extent… been a while since I’ve used it.[/quote]

From what I’ve seen, you actually get physically transported to the dream-world. There’s mention of couches specially used to catch people when they pop back into reality, and suchlike, so I don’t think it’s just lucid dreaming.

I find this question fascinating!
The British pound sterling is still backed by the gold standard in 1891. This means that there is likely an Echo to Pound ratio for surface trading. It is unknown if there would be a Fallen London representative at the International Monetary Conferences to establish an exchange rate, but with the amount of sheer capital exchange happening in the capitol, it’s inconceivable that they wouldn’t. London, Fallen or no, is at the height of it’s capital exportation, so even if the Master’s specifically have no interest in surface monetary policy, surely the Palace and various other captains of industry would.
No small amount of nations at the time were adopting the gold standard to have access to European markets, so it might be possible that surface powers, attempting to capitalize on Fallen markets, might adopt a bimetalic currency standard not of silver and gold, but of gold and "underlying fundamental Coins." Meaning that currencies on the Surface could be backed with greater certainty than gold.

This is what the great economists of the world are likely discussing in the salons of the Neath, but the truth of the matter is that the Echo is backed by the Masters as much as the 2013 dollar is backed by the US Treasury; which is to say stronger and more stable than gold. The Bazaar is the issuer of her own currency and is backed by the full faith and credit of the Masters. The Masters can control the Echo the way the Fed does, and probably easier, and no one of any importance in the Neath is likely to want to back out of the Echo standard and invest all their capital in First City coins or some-such. It’s even less likely that they will refuse to acknowledge the listed value of the Echo. The Bazaar is unlikely to default on anything and The Masters don’t take kindly to you undervaluing their currency.
The Echo doesn’t really need to be backed by anything, but claiming it’s backed by something unseen and ancient is as good a notion as saying it’s backed by shiny metal to keep markets from panicking.

I like to think of the life of a well-to-do Fallen Londoner interested in such things like so:

The inhabitant of London could order by bat, sipping his morning tea in bed, the various products of the whole earth, in such quantity as he might see fit, and reasonably expect their early delivery upon his doorstep; he could at the same moment and by the same means adventure his wealth in the natural resources and new enterprises of any quarter of the world, and share, without exertion or even trouble, in their prospective fruits and advantages; or he could decide to couple the security of his fortunes with the good faith of the townspeople of any substantial municipality in any continent that fancy or information might recommend. He could secure forthwith, if he wished it, cheap and comfortable means of transit to any country or climate without passport or other formality, could despatch his servant to the neighboring office of a bank for such supply of the precious metals as might seem convenient, and could then proceed abroad to foreign quarters, without knowledge of their religion, language, or customs, bearing coined wealth upon his person, and would consider himself greatly aggrieved and much surprised at the least interference. But, most important of all, he regarded this state of affairs as normal, certain, and permanent, except in the direction of further improvement, and any deviation from it as aberrant, scandalous, and avoidable. The projects and politics of militarism and imperialism, of racial and cultural rivalries, of monopolies, restrictions, and exclusion, which were to play the serpent to this paradise, were little more than the amusements of his daily newspaper, and appeared to exercise almost no influence at all on the ordinary course of social and economic life, the internationalization of which was nearly complete in practice.

edited by Nigel Overstreet on 3/9/2013

Well, if the Cider can really be bought for a sufficiently large sum of Echo, as the Bazaar would make us to believe, I’d say Echo has a much better backing, than dollar. Then again, I can’t really imagine it working as a world currency. Neath seems too much removed and very much disinterested in the affairs of the Surface. There is not much to export, as most of the local stuff seems to lose its properties under the harsh rays of Sunlight. Also, the text in the game implies, that Surface food is so rare, only the very rich can afford to eat it. So not much is imported either.
edited by Fhoenix on 3/12/2013

[quote=Fhoenix]Well, if the Cider can really be bought for a sufficiently large sum of Echo, as the Bazaar would make us to believe, I’d say Echo has a much better backing, than dollar. Then again, I can’t really imagine it working as a world currency. Neath seems too much removed and very much disinterested in the affairs of the Surface. There is not much to export, as most of the local stuff seems to lose its properties under the harsh rays of Sunlight. Also, the text in the game implies, that Surface food is so rare, only the very rich can afford to eat it. So not much is imported either.
edited by Fhoenix on 3/12/2013[/quote]

But, that creates other questions then; such as, where do we acquire building materials from, or gunmetal, or any variety of things which can’t be built with glim or jade or brass? Surely we can’t get all of it from traders across the Unterzee.

[quote=Zmflavius][quote=Fhoenix]Well, if the Cider can really be bought for a sufficiently large sum of Echo, as the Bazaar would make us to believe, I’d say Echo has a much better backing, than dollar. Then again, I can’t really imagine it working as a world currency. Neath seems too much removed and very much disinterested in the affairs of the Surface. There is not much to export, as most of the local stuff seems to lose its properties under the harsh rays of Sunlight. Also, the text in the game implies, that Surface food is so rare, only the very rich can afford to eat it. So not much is imported either.
edited by Fhoenix on 3/12/2013[/quote]

But, that creates other questions then; such as, where do we acquire building materials from, or gunmetal, or any variety of things which can’t be built with glim or jade or brass? Surely we can’t get all of it from traders across the Unterzee.[/quote]
The real continuity problem, of course, is if trade with the Surface is possible, why don’t more people leave? Why can’t you return to the Surface once you’ve been killed and come back to “life” in the Neath? In any event, you’d think more people would hasten to return to the Surface before they get killed that critical first time.

Why exactly would they leave again? I mean sure there is poverty, poor work conditions and the occasional bout of insanity. But you get to be kind of, almost, but no exactly immortal. Which, I imagine, does wonders for the general life expectancy in the city. Also there is a posh hotel instead of the standard asylum. And who says life on the Surface is any better?
edited by Fhoenix on 3/12/2013

My assumption was that it’s because death doesn’t work as well in the Neath. So you can die and come back a lot, but you can’t survive on the Surface. because death still works normally there. I think one of the sidebars says something about not being able to go back unless you have Cider, right? Not sure on the root explanation, but it seems like a lot of hints connect the difficulty of staying dead to the Mountain of Light/The garden in the Elder Continent. So maybe if you go out of range of it, death can get to you again?