Straightforward failure

I am very happy.

You have made my Monday. I’m going to sit here thinking about hugging Nimoy.

It doesn’t matter when you are doing randomized interactive story.
It begins to matter when you are doing a game, because players want to be treated fairly (counterpoint: fallen london is supposed to be about making the characters miserable, and since we identify with our characters, it’s about making us miserable too)…
It matters a lot when you start showing exact percentages, because if you aren’t really careful, you are promising something you can’t guarantee. (but this is more of an argument against showing exact percentages than anything else).

I first read that as “… he already deserves it,”. It was confusing.

I saw it as relevant as a tangentially supporting point to being silly while defending my “honor” against “accusations” of maybe thinking I am a better programmer than someone whose work I have never witnessed.
(I could have also just said that I am sure FBG can run circles around me in some other programming topic)

You, person, have no honour! You spelled it ALL WRONG. flaps glove all over the place HA! Have at you! flails sword everywhere Tomorrow! Bring your goat! And a second goat! Let us decide this the old fashioned way.

Phew. For a second I was worried you would want me to bring my second goat. Because, I must admit, I only own the one. And it’s not even über.

Phew. For a second I was worried you would want me to bring my second goat. Because, I must admit, I only own the one. And it’s not even über.[/quote]

I’m going to have to ‘borrow’ some goats. I have none. Much sadness. If no one ‘lends’ me any, I’ll bleat till your one backs away disconcerted.

Edit: forgot the insinuation quotes on lends. I mean ‘has any around for me to nick’, obv.
edited by babelfishwars on 4/14/2014

[quote=babelfishwars]I’m going to have to ‘borrow’ some goats. I have none. Much sadness. If no one ‘lends’ me any, I’ll bleat till your one backs away disconcerted.

Edit: forgot the insinuation quotes on lends. I mean ‘has any around for me to nick’, obv.
edited by babelfishwars on 4/14/2014[/quote]

That should give me some time to look for a sword. Carrow’s doesn’t seem to carry any.

Meanwhile, I’ll go head to head with all counts 8 people who downvoted me during the course of conversation. En garde! Pulls out a derringer
edited by cinderfallen on 4/14/2014

A side-note: you’re assuming that it’s unreasonable for a Master Thief to occasionally fail a simple heist, or to have a run of bad luck. It isn’t. It would be unreasonable to expect an individual to always succeed at a task, regardless of their skill level; hell, most humans can’t even put one foot in front of the other successfully 100% of the time. [li]

I have a few, but only in real life. Not sure how I get them into digital format. Will ponder this one.

[/li][li]Nope, I’m saying if a &quotMaster Thief&quot is failing to open a simple lock 10 times in a row, maybe she shouldn’t be called a master thief.

[/li][li]

[/li][li]Nope, I’m saying if a &quotMaster Thief&quot is failing to open a simple lock 10 times in a row, maybe she shouldn’t be called a master thief.

[/li][li][/quote]

[/li]I’m saying that if your Shadowy is at a level where you could reasonably be considered a Master Thief, a Shadowy task requiring you to pick a simple lock is either going to be a White Straightforward task (IE 100% success rate), or the statistical likelihood of you failing it ten times in a row will be so astronomically unlikely that it isn’t worth discussing. Hyperbole is not a good way to win debates like this one.[li]

I have held a sword (used to belong to a great-grandfather), once, 20 years ago. It was short, dirty, and heavy.

Umbrellas at six paces?

[quote=xKiv]Umbrellas at six paces?[/quote] I SHALL WIN. Dad gave me a golf umbrella of golf umbrellas. The kind Spacemarine9 would use in the game of games. I’m embarrassed to use it in the rain as it can cover an entire pavement and thus as I’m not 6’6&quot+ has a tendency to block the way for anyone coming the opposite direction. It’s a monstrosity. I can probably thwop you with it at 8 paces. Sod 6.

I like winning. Excellent.
edited by babelfishwars on 4/16/2014

[/li][li][/quote]

[/li]I’m saying that if your Shadowy is at a level where you could reasonably be considered a Master Thief, a Shadowy task requiring you to pick a simple lock is either going to be a White Straightforward task (IE 100% success rate), or the statistical likelihood of you failing it ten times in a row will be so astronomically unlikely that it isn’t worth discussing. Hyperbole is not a good way to win debates like this one.[li][/quote][/li][li]
Not cool constructing straw man arguments either. And not always 100%. It’s usually a green 92% - 96%? Something like that? But there are those challenges that are in the 75 - 85% that are more likely to get really nasty streaks with. I’ve literally had that happen to me, and so have many other people on this forum–it’s not an uncommon experience. People bond over it on the &quotWhat’s the worst thing you failed at&quot thread. Check it out. [/li][li]

[quote=babelfishwars][quote=xKiv]Umbrellas at six paces?[/quote] I SHALL WIN. Dad gave me a golf umbrella of golf umbrellas. The kind Spacemarine9 would use in the game of games. I’m embarrassed to use it in the rain as it can cover an entire pavement and thus as I’m not 6’6&quot+ has a tendency to block the way for anyone coming the opposite direction. It’s a monstrosity. I can probably thwop you with it at 8 paces. Sod 6.

I like winning. Excellent.
edited by babelfishwars on 4/16/2014[/quote]

I think I will need a nuclear umbrella …