Storylets that made you grin

[li]Well, I’m not sure if this is against the rules or not. If it is, please let me know and I’ll delete this thread (or possibly edit the rules, so that we could post what events we liked without actually posting the content.)

We all know that Fallen London’s writing is superb. Whether we’re giggling at some turn of events or rapturously drinking in a newly-uncovered fragment of mythos (or, in the case of some masochists, cursing as they give blood sacrifices to Alexis Kennedy atop his throne of skulls), it’s the content that keeps us all hooked. But there are some moments where you read something and just can’t help but smile at a turn of events, a play on words, the way your character narrates something. Maybe you just wanted to give whoever wrote said piece a high five over the vast reaches of the internet. This is a thread to share those moments.

Put all storylets in spoilers. Please avoid posting any fate-locked content, as per FBG’s wishes. Presumably, it’d be best to avoid posting any content that’s considerably spoilerrific, such as something that refers to clandestine information in a questline, or such. I’ll start with something that amused me greatly last night, when my character was hunting down an arsonist…

[spoiler]You do not find the arsonist, but the things you hear of them! A series of jewellery shop robberies. A passing acquaintance with high society. A series of wins at the ring fights. Entanglements with surface folk. Even forays into the arts of detection. Just who is this complex individual?

-By Goatdancer[/spoiler]

It would seem my character is hunting down the most elusive and terrifying of beasts - a Player Character. :P

Oh, I have one that made me chortle out loud. And perhaps utter a phrase along the lines of: “Oh, well played, well played!”

It’s a fate locked one in the Iron Republic, so can’t say more … but it definitely made me applaud FailBetter/Alexis.

[quote=babelfishwars]Oh, I have one that made me chortle out loud. And perhaps utter a phrase along the lines of: &quotOh, well played, well played!&quot

It’s a fate locked one in the Iron Republic, so can’t say more … but it definitely made me applaud FailBetter/Alexis.[/quote]

Would you mind sharing it via PM? I am going to go to the Republic sooner or later, and I’d like to make my mind whether that option is worth it ^^

[quote=streetfelineblue][quote=babelfishwars]Oh, I have one that made me chortle out loud. And perhaps utter a phrase along the lines of: &quotOh, well played, well played!&quot

It’s a fate locked one in the Iron Republic, so can’t say more … but it definitely made me applaud FailBetter/Alexis.[/quote]

Would you mind sharing it via PM? I am going to go to the Republic sooner or later, and I’d like to make my mind whether that option is worth it ^^[/quote]

That would kinda spoil it beyond spoilering it. Let us just say, it won’t be to everyone’s tastes.

My favourite bit of text in the game is not really from a storylet but from one of the little snippets of lore text we see to the side of the page:

[quote=]What is the Vake?

They say it’s not a monster at all. It’s a man who dresses up as a bat. To, ah, prowl the city by night. But that would just be stupid.[/quote]
:)
[li]

I just started dealing with a certain infestation in my lodgings, and it is a ridiculous amount of fun.[li]

Some of the disgraced exile in tomb-colonies make me chuckle or smirk atleast

Ah, that bit. Indeed, it was - I love how it escalates from some cautious skirmishes to a full-scale war. Many casualties were sustained in the Battle for the Pantry - may I raise a moment of silence for Mr. Murgatroyd’s Fungal Crackers - but in the end, I triumphed over the forces of Ratdom. [/li] …And then the best part came after that, when a series of rat priests stopped by my door with offerings to make sure I was appeased. Apparently, I’m now a figure of wrathful demise to the rat community. That was golden.
[li]

Ah, that bit. Indeed, it was - I love how it escalates from some cautious skirmishes to a full-scale war. Many casualties were sustained in the Battle for the Pantry - may I raise a moment of silence for Mr. Murgatroyd’s Fungal Crackers - but in the end, I triumphed over the forces of Ratdom. [/li] …And then the best part came after that, when a series of rat priests stopped by my door with offerings to make sure I was appeased. Apparently, I’m now a figure of wrathful demise to the rat community. That was golden.
[li][/quote]

How and when did you get that card? The one with the rat priests at your door, I wanna see it, lol

It’s a living story that kicks in a few days after you beat back the rat incursion. You may not have seen it if you finished that storyline before it was added though.

Ah, crap. My shame, I’d like to see that

Living stories show up in your messages tab, so you can check there to see if you’ve got anything.

If it was a long time ago, it’s probably not there, alas.

Just a small note: There’s an opposing card for the one mentioned in the initial post, where you’re the arsonist being tailed.

Also, my personal favorite line of text comes during the University storyline.

Now that you know the origins of Cantigaster venom, would it be terribly impolite to ignore your tea cup? It would. You force down another sip of delicious tea

Just three sentences that say so much about how your character is feeling at the moment.
edited by Urthdigger on 11/5/2013

…I don’t know how I forgot this one.

You’ve been murdering people. Again. All right, there is a degree of chaos, but you can’t be blamed, can you? Not when they keep STANDING STILL. God. At least you can take the products and results and make hats. Yes, let them stare.

I don’t remember who wrote that one, but I cannot look at it without laughing hysterically.

Laluzi, that is one of my favorites too!

I can’t seem to find the text on the wiki, but I love the rat-related narrative you get when you receive silk scraps after doing the Pickpocket’s Promenade.

I love the visual in this one:

‘Goden! Na harash walkskies. Inchen besty ir yawen walkskies! Thrown diwon na goden thrisk detectoor.’ The Topsy King looks sad. His bat makes little pushing motions.

Aww, little batsie.

Spoiler tags are great, but perhaps people could include a note of what part of the content their quote is from before the tags? That way, I know whether I can click on them without risking being spoiled.
I still remember my “what the …?” moment when, quite a long time ago, I was spying on someone in a cemetery and got hit by a piece of candle with toothmarks on it. Also, some of the Flute Street content was grand, but of course I can’t go into details.

Outsmarting an army of assassins by sniping them all from a rooftop was certainly amusing. (( Young buck oppertunity card. ))
There’s a couple of other that ill post later.