Storylet restructuring proposals

I’d like to use this topic to collate any proposals to Failbetter for restructuring the existing material. So this is not suggestions/requests for new content, or for new features that would actually require FB to code something new but simply &quotquality of life&quot changes to how the already existing content is presented. The changes I am envisaging are things that basically change which storylets are linked or possibly smoothing out of how certain stories unfold but only minimal mechanical changes. Maybe +/- 1 Action or an odd new &quotgating&quot quality or branch somewhere but nothing much beyond that. To get the ball rolling, my suggestions (wall of text warning):

1. I think &quotyour Lodgings&quot has grown a bit unwieldy and needs heavy reorganisation. Broadly, (not countring lore-related storylets) there should the following main storylets: A) One storylet dealing with interacting with other players socially, B) One storylet dealing with interacting with other players romantically (&quotAttend to Matters of the Heart&quot), C) One storylet dealing with NPCs, D) One storylet dealing with menaces, E) Local gossip, F) &quotOpen a way to other parts of the City&quot, and G) Four storylets dealing with the four main attributes.

I think the main culprits here are the &quotAttend to matters of society and scandal&quot (which combines A, B, C and F) and &quotWrite Letters&quot (which combine A and C) and would propose the following reorganisation:

1.1 &quotAn easy confidence&quot, &quotMeet someone for a Coffee at Caligula’s&quot, &quotAsk someone for help in laying rumours to rest.&quot and &quotUse someone as your dupe&quot from &quotAttend to matters of society and scandal&quot should be split off into a separate storylet which would be the Persuasive equivalent of the three &quotInvite a friend to join you in something…&quot storylets already there. These four storylets would be the F) above.

1.2 &quotAttend to matters of the heart&quot from &quotAttend to matters of society and scandal&quot seems a bit superfluous as you can just get to the same storylet directly from the Lodgings (with slightly different capitalisation).

1.3 With the above branches removed, the storylet &quotAttend to matters of society and scandal&quot should then be reserved for non-romantic player-to-player interaction (A, above). It would then make sense to move &quotWrite a letter to another player&quot and &quotA present for a friend&quot from &quotWrite Letters&quot to &quotAttend to matters of society and scandal&quot. Likewise &quotName a pet&quot and &quotUse your influence to invite Slowcake’s Amanuensis for a visit&quot then don’t really fit into A) and should be moved elsewhere

1.4 &quotWrite Letters&quot then is left mostly with category C branches - interacting with various NPC contacts. So I would suggest renaming it something suitable and moving &quotName a pet&quot and &quotUse your influence to invite Slowcake’s Amanuensis for a visit&quot here. &quotArrange a new profession for your aunt&quot (as a lore storylet) also seems a bit out of place here and possibly makes more sense move to one of the Local gossip branches (probably the Bohemian Sculptress)

1.5 &quotFind a way to throw the Constables off the scent&quot, &quotAttend a Church Service&quot, &quotTime in bed&quot and &quotInvite a friend over to Confess your Fears&quot would then be combined in a single menace reduction storylet.

1. I find the Fate page slightly immersion breaking and wonder whether it would be possible to link all the Fate-locked stories there from Local Gossip?

2. I find the &quotThe Last Constable?&quot from &quotStudy the secrets of Fallen London.&quot quite annoying because once you have &quotFamily and Law&quot it’s locked but doesn’t disappear. Unless there are plans to continue this story and reset &quotFamily and Law&quot I would really appreciate hiding this branch once it becomes unusable.

3. I wonder whether the &quotBelow the Neath&quot opportunity card should only be draw-able at the Carnival?

4. Finally, is it possible to have a few more &quotPutting the Pieces Together&quot qualities to smooth out the way you get access to flavour. In particular I am thinking &quotPutting the Pieces Together: Fingerkings&quot or &quotPutting Pieces Together: Parabola&quot because the nature of Fingerkings is a genuine mystery at first and you have discover things about them but some of the more advanced, seasonal, or Fate-locked content simply assumes that you know what they are even if you in fact never played the appropriate content. Having PtPT:F would then allow such content to be properly conditioned.

[spoiler] I very much agree that some of the options could do with being reshuffled about. Chess, Loitering, Sparring, and Coffee would go well together, along with Write a letter to another player.
Similarly, grouping Menace-reducing stuff together in your lodgings is a good idea. Partly to show newer players that these ARE available options when their menaces reach a certain point (have them), and partly so they’re easy to find rather than trying to remember which menace fits which quality and bouncing around your lodgings if you have multiple menaces to be reduced.

It’d also be good to have the ‘cancel this thing’ type of actions together, in their own sub-section in your lodgings. Snub an Acquaintance, Reject a Patron, Break off your Relationship, Leave your Club, that sort of thing all together where you’re not accidentally going to click on them.

Another thing I would also like to see is romantic options split up into pre-marriage and post-marriage (assuming they ever add social actions for Committed couples), so that the unmarried-only options don’t show up at all to players who’ve progressed along past that point. My character had a wedding with a player who hasn’t been online in the past 7 months. Seeing the option to Attend to Matters of the Heart is kinda pointless when I already have Committed, which means being Seen with someone is not able to lead anywhere. (Unless I’m reading this all wrong and I can do that stuff with a current player despite being wed.)
Seeing the option show up is just a regular reminder that my character’s spouse might as well be living in the Tomb Colonies for all the difference it would make.

A couple of parts of genesis’ suggestion that I will disagree with:

• Re: the Fate tab. I much prefer it where it is, and I’d hate to find I’m stuck out at zee (going the long way to Polythreme or returning from a slow-moving river), and in order to buy Exceptional Friendship or unlock new stories I’d have to travel all the way back home just because it wasn’t in my lodgings.
  • Having all the single-player Menace reduction actions lumped together into a single action doesn’t sit right with me.
    Time in Bed has some interesting varieties to it and it would be a shame to homogenise that into a single option.
    I do like how you can’t just Attend a Church service and have everyone assume 100% of the time that your piety is genuine (and/or that you’re not blatantly trying to reduce the Scandal that you gained form your attempt to burn down a church).
    Invite a friend over to confess your fears and Try to throw the constables off the scent are two social actions which transfer a portion of your menace. Collapsing those into single actions while keeping the current method would then dump multiple menaces onto the helping player, even if you had none of that to reduce. [/spoiler]

[quote=Kittenpox]
Re: the Fate tab. I much prefer it where it is, and I’d hate to find I’m stuck out at zee (going the long way to Polythreme or returning from a slow-moving river), and in order to buy Exceptional Friendship or unlock new stories I’d have to travel all the way back home just because it wasn’t in my lodgings.[/quote]

Oh no. I wasn’t suggesting removing the Fate tab. Only providing links in Local gossip as an addition option. (Much the same way as some Stories can be started either at Local gossip or from an opportunity card)

I am not sure if I understood you correctly but I wasn’t suggesting combining them into a single action. The actual storylets with all of their branches etc would remain unchanged. There would simply be a single &quotumbrella&quot storylet that would direct you to the relevant Menace option at 0 Action (much how Local gossip works). As I said I wasn’t proposing any substantial mechanic changes, only &quottidying up&quot, as it were (the idea being that you can easily see where to click for the things that you want when you visit lodgings).
edited by genesis on 7/6/2015

I agree that the Lodgings stuff is pretty cluttered and could use some reorganization, though I hesitate to collapse things into too few storylets because then it’s easy to miss new options. However, as long as they’re clearly signposted “look here for stuff related to this,” I think it would work.

I think better lodging signposting in general is critical. My younger brother was a POSI before he even noticed Chatting With The Local Gossip wasn’t just more lodging clutter.

Just as an aside, you can be Seen With another player despite being wed, and you can do the various date options with that player. You cannot propose married if you’re already married, but you can still do the indulgent evening, evening or restrained sophistication, etc.

[quote=genesis][quote=Kittenpox]
Re: the Fate tab. I much prefer it where it is, and I’d hate to find I’m stuck out at zee (going the long way to Polythreme or returning from a slow-moving river), and in order to buy Exceptional Friendship or unlock new stories I’d have to travel all the way back home just because it wasn’t in my lodgings.[/quote]
Oh no. I wasn’t suggesting removing the Fate tab. Only providing links in Local gossip as an addition option. (Much the same way as some Stories can be started either at Local gossip or from an opportunity card)

I am not sure if I understood you correctly but I wasn’t suggesting combining them into a single action. The actual storylets with all of their branches etc would remain unchanged. There would simply be a single &quotumbrella&quot storylet that would direct you to the relevant Menace option at 0 Action (much how Local gossip works). As I said I wasn’t proposing any substantial mechanic changes, only &quottidying up&quot, as it were (the idea being that you can easily see where to click for the things that you want when you visit lodgings).
edited by genesis on 7/6/2015[/quote]

That makes a lot more sense. I suspect I mis-read some of that then, being in the wee small hours of the morning at the time.
In that case, yeah - I agree that having them together (much the same way there are actions beneath Society&Scandal) works well. Especially because having those readily visible before they’re needed would show players options for how to cure menaces via social actions rather than them fretting that these nightmares/scandal/etc. will never end. :-p

Just as an aside, you can be Seen With another player despite being wed, and you can do the various date options with that player. You cannot propose married if you’re already married, but you can still do the indulgent evening, evening or restrained sophistication, etc.[/quote]

Ah, I did not know that one - I had assumed that because it was a pre-requisite for marriage that having an affair via social actions wasn’t an option. Now it feels much less like my character is a grieving widower and more like my character can be a bachelor simply unwilling to wed.
Thankyou for the info! ^_^