Stone Tentacle-Key

I need dramatic tension to get a stone tentacle-key, but I lose dramatic tension when I go to sea and there aren’t any opportunities to get more on Hunter’s Keep. Is there something I’m missing?

You’re definitely missing something! As far as I remember, each time you play through the Hunter’s Keep cycle your Dramatic Tension increases by 1, so you should be able to take the action for the Key the second time round.
:edit: It is not a rare success as I originally thought but a difficult (depending on your stats) Dangerous challenge.
edited by phryne on 1/19/2016

Huh. I didn’t think it’s a rare success. It’s available as long as you don’t have one (I in fact got another to replace the one I used)

It’s not a short carousel, but you’ll go through three obvious stages, the last of which has to do with the well, and you should be able to find the key then.

I could be wrong but I think the thing you’re missing is that you don’t have to return to zee between runs. If I remember correctly you get 1CP of dramatic tension each time you complete the cycle. As long as you don’t return to zee between cycles this will build up until you can get the key.

Or maybe I’m just crazy. I haven’t been to hunter’s keep in well over a year now.

[quote=the truthseeker]
Stay there as long as you like. They have some nice items there!
[li][/quote]

[/li][li]Strongly agree! The ladies are quite an interesting bunch. Just stay away from the maid though.[/li]

[quote=the truthseeker][quote=Parelle]Huh. I didn’t think it’s a rare success. It’s available as long as you don’t have one (I in fact got another to replace the one I used)

It’s not a short carousel, but you’ll go through three obvious stages, the last of which has to do with the well, and you should be able to find the key then.[/quote]
As noted, it’s not a rare success and you need to do the carousel enough times (3) to get DT to the value to get said key in the well.
[li][/quote]
I just did this two days ago. You only need to run the carousel once to get enough Dramatic Tension, and one more time to get the key. It is a regular prize from a Dangerous check.
[/li][li]

So you’re saying I need to replay Hunter’s Keep over and over until I get Dramatic Tension?

[quote=Parelle]Huh. I didn’t think it’s a rare success. It’s available as long as you don’t have one (I in fact got another to replace the one I used)

It’s not a short carousel, but you’ll go through three obvious stages, the last of which has to do with the well, and you should be able to find the key then.[/quote]

• Play through once = Dramatic Tension 1. Don’t go back to Zee, or you’ll lose it![/li][/ul][ul][li]Play through a second time, go to the well, get your Key – or not: the action is 100% straightforward only at Dangerous 200. For more information look here.[/li][/ul][ul][li]If you failed at fishing for the Key, play through the cycle again and again until you’re successful.

What you have to remember is that “Dramatic Tension” is a transient quality. It’s basically just a somewhat hacky flag that says “You’re near the end of something”. It’s reused a lot, in a whole load of other questlines, and hence it is generally reset whenever you leave the thing you’re doing. You can’t get it in one place and then go to another place

Well, you can as long as the two places are in London. You can get a point of DT in the cave of the Nadir, another from the War of Assassins and then get a third from Wilmot’s End, and then cash it in at your lodgings. If you want. You just can’t take it out to zea.