Stats vastly increased on some equipment?

i’m guessing this means that upgrading weapons and pets will wait for another day
can’t say i blame them, weapons and pets are definitely the biggest categories, and it’s gettin late here

i equipped a library and now the chess is locked again, welp

It’s rather disappointing that the updates don’t really apply to the recent Feast items. My Hand of Glory gets +1 more shadowy, but the Golden Spiked Rosary hasn’t changed.

It kind of nerfs their value as Fate-bought items when you can now easily buy a 28 echo glove that does the same, or better.

[quote=bjorntfh]Okay, so thus is live tweaking. I noticed none of the weapons got a boost, nor did the Feast items (really? I paid for a mask to get +4 Shadowy, and now the Disguise gives +5?)

Hopefully they balance out the items soon, I’m looking at them and wondering what will be what.[/quote]
The mask now gives +7.

Also the Loathesome Imp gives +5 Shadowy and Persuasive now. Damn. Better start grabbing scraps, I smell some high-tier items coming my way…

Ah, so this was the “wait and see” response to the broad difficulty outrage. Hm. This does alleviate the problem to a degree, but…it does change the narrative focus a bit. Someone in the difficulty switch thread expressed this also: characters can still be awesome, but they get awesome by buying awesome stuff, not through personal experience and training. It’s a subtly different tone, but an important one.

Also, hm. This is nitpicky, but I have mixed feelings towards the revised flavor text. Some of it’s nice and mysterious, but some of it (like the iron hat’s) feels a bit like “explaining the joke” – it goes on too long. Sometimes less is more.

Regardless, always nice to see progress, and it’s good to see some carrot after so much stick recently.

[quote=bjorntfh]Okay, so thus is live tweaking. I noticed none of the weapons got a boost, nor did the Feast items (really? I paid for a mask to get +4 Shadowy, and now the Disguise gives +5?)

Hopefully they balance out the items soon, I’m looking at them and wondering what will be what.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I spent real money to get a Hand of Glory with a big Shadowy boost, but the run-of-the-mill Cracksman’s Mittens now does the same thing.

Well that’s simply not true. Yeah, your gear is going to give you more stats than before, but you’ve still got 150 maximums in each stat. The boosts from gear max out at what, +30? +40? and then only if you’re equipped to focus on one stat only. That puts you up near 180-190, making the gear less than a quarter of your total stats.
edited by Dolan on 3/3/2013

Feast items are being boosted too, the Hand of Glory used to give +2 Shadowy like the Cracksman’s Mittens, while now the Hand is at +8 and the Mittens at +4 (secondary modifiers are unchanged at +1 Dreaded for the Hand and -1 Persuasive for the Mittens).

You’ve still earned the vast majority of your points through hard work. Not to mention earning the items themselves. You’re still earning your advancements, through both practice and investments in better equipment.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/3/2013

I like the change. Over 3/4 of your power still comes from your character rather than your gear, so it’s not like you’re a weakling until you buy stuff. And really, why WOULDN’T a super-expensive suit make you a lot more persuasive? Why wouldn’t a heavy pair of boots make you a lot more dangerous?

[quote=streetfelineblue]
Feast items are being boosted too, the Hand of Glory used to give +2 Shadowy like the Cracksman’s Mittens, while now the Hand is at +8 and the Mittens at +4 (secondary modifiers are unchanged at +1 Dreaded for the Hand and -1 Persuasive for the Mittens).[/quote]

Oh, DAMN. They must have just changed it. Earlier they only upped the Hand to +4. I figured that since they already changed it, that was about as high as it was going to be. That’s… much better.

I agree with the changes being realistic. No matter how good of a commentator you are, a poor microphone is a poor microphone. There’s a limit to how much you can do without proper tools.

Of course the change won’t make too much sense until they update all the items, not just hats/gloves/boots/clothes. As it is, an iron hat is more dangerous than a gun!

FYI, in addition to the above tweet, the Messages tab also now displays:
BOUNTIFUL NEWS! Hats, Gloves, Boots and Clothing are now substantially more potent! More changes will follow.

Uhm, edit to my previous post - the Hand of Glory is now +6 Shadowy. I think it will take some time to see the ultimate stats ^^

They’ll get to it soon enough, I’m sure. Until then we can be amused in the same way we are amused by skimpy clothing providing more defense than realistic armour.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/4/2013

We now have Knife-and-Candler’s Gloves, which is interesting and perhaps promising. Also several mentions of Gorchett and Sons.

Well that’s simply not true. Yeah, your gear is going to give you more stats than before, but you’ve still got 150 maximums in each stat. The boosts from gear max out at what, +30? +40? and then only if you’re equipped to focus on one stat only. That puts you up near 180-190, making the gear less than a quarter of your total stats.[/quote]

Not quite. Those points do eventually add up, but the broad difficulty has vastly devalued each individual stat point. If you’re faced with a high-level challenge, stat grinding is now much less effective. It’s a better idea to buy equipment, which is just as easy to obtain as before, to get a large, quick stat boost. And when you are at the stat cap, you can’t grind up stats at all – stat-capped players can only overcome challenges by whipping out their best equipment. The overall effect is that equipment has become much more valuable and natural stat increases much less.

But I know I’m probably blowing things out of proportion. This is a relatively minor nitpick, and this change is fairly new; I know I should probably wait a bit longer to see how things work out.

Hey, those who use the diamond ring for Dangerous too, the spidechitin gauntlets are now much better.

I like the change as well; it means that all of the items from the Relickers that require a stat of 175 will be accessible to me now, not just the one that requires Watchful 175 (the Starstone Demark, which I just bought at the end of the Feast).

Well that’s simply not true. Yeah, your gear is going to give you more stats than before, but you’ve still got 150 maximums in each stat. The boosts from gear max out at what, +30? +40? and then only if you’re equipped to focus on one stat only. That puts you up near 180-190, making the gear less than a quarter of your total stats.[/quote]

Not quite. Those points do eventually add up, but the broad difficulty has vastly devalued each individual stat point. If you’re faced with a high-level challenge, stat grinding is now much less effective. It’s a better idea to buy equipment, which is just as easy to obtain as before, to get a large, quick stat boost. And when you are at the stat cap, you can’t grind up stats at all – stat-capped players can only overcome challenges by whipping out their best equipment. The overall effect is that equipment has become much more valuable and natural stat increases much less.

But I know I’m probably blowing things out of proportion. This is a relatively minor nitpick, and this change is fairly new; I know I should probably wait a bit longer to see how things work out.[/quote]

It’s also possible that the prices on the equipment items will soon be increased. I haven’t checked on that; for all I know prices may have gone up already.