Spending notability and profession

I am considering investing my &quotTaste of Lacre&quot in a fabulous abode (either a Sanctum or a Spire), but am concerned because I would also need to spend Notability to upgrade my lodgings. I currently have a high-tier profession (Crooked Cross), and losing that much Notability would drop me below the minimum for my profession. Would I lose my profession, or is the Notability minimum only to become a Crooked Cross rather than to maintain it?

It is safe. Never fear lowering your notability. Even losing all of it! It would not influence your current profession.
(Addition: losing all of your notability will compel you to WAIT for the Amanuensis’ card to raise your notability, instead of summoning him, and you’ll have to re-purchase a slowcake’s entry - about 28 echos. But it will damage you nothing)
edited by Gonen on 1/5/2016

Do you need to repurchase Slowcake’s Exceptionals? I don’t remember having to do that when trading Notability for Prize Tokens and M_____'s B____.

Edit: Correction - you do lose it for the Prize Tokens.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/5/2016

When reaching 0 notability. (If you receive 1 from a friend, this does not apply, iirc)
EDIT: Hmmm… Am I wrong here? Whenever trading all points for Token Prizes you lose Slowcake’s Exceptionals.
Is that the only case? Or every time one reaches zero?

[quote=Gonen]It is safe. Never fear lowering your notability. Even losing all of it! It would not influence your current profession.[/quote] Thank you! I will enjoy my new luxurious abode without fear!

When reaching 0 notability. (If you receive 1 from a friend, this does not apply, iirc)
EDIT: Hmmm… Am I wrong here? Whenever trading all points for Token Prizes you lose Slowcake’s Exceptionals.
Is that the only case? Or every time one reaches zero?[/quote]

OH RIGHT! You do lose it when you trade it for Prize Tokens. That’s more the exception than the rule, and it’s for very lore specific reasons. You can also lose it if you throw out the Amanuensis on his oily ear.

I say it’s the exception because while I’m not sure what happens if you erode your Notability down to zero through time I do remember losing all my Notability in getting the aforementioned wine without needing to repurchase the item. I did need to do so every time for Delmar’s Knife quest. So yeah, small mistake on my part, but I’m pretty sure it’s more not the case than so (after all, 1 Notability is simply a star by your name).

edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/5/2016

Oh. If you plan to make residence at the Spire you should fear…
Just not regarding this specific issue.

Sara, thanks for that. I bought Prize Tokens so many times it just felt like it WAS the rule and not exception.
The mistake is mine. Glad to realize it won’t cost me echos every time I’ll reach 0 (though I try not to reach the 0, RNG and cards &c.)