Spending fate

At around those levels you begin to finish off the initial locations, so I can see that. Just don’t focus on what is to come - you’ll be able to access it eventually, and even if you don’t try, you develop your character faster than FBG can write more content. You need to familarize yourself with the areas before becoming a master thief, though.

As for the record, I personally found The University (80-100/110-ish) to be some of the best content. You don’t have to wait for 100+. The new heists are amazing as well, just to name a few.

Spending hex on the “getting back your soul” storyline, does it worth it?

Depends on how badly you want your soul back. I believe it’s the only way to get your soul back so if you need your soul for some reason than the Nex is very worth it. If you don’t need your soul and don’t miss it for any sort of role playing reasons than it’s probably not worth the Nex.

How about my aunt? She is back at the surface and sent me a letter about some kind of a business opportunity… I do have twenty fate, but I was thinking of buying five more to get the soul trade. I have all my stats around 60 (can get them down to 40 with equipment), so I’m wondering whether it’s still worth it. Thanks for your advice!

The Soul Trade is MUCH better investment than your aunt. The Soul Trade gives an interesting story and a choice of items that open stories at multiple levels of the game. The Aunt gives opportunity cards that are more annoying that useful.

Depends on which route you go with her. Her opportunity card can be very useful. But overall, yes, the Soul Trade is the way to go if it’s down to those two storylines.

Soul Trade > Aunt
However the Aunt card has it’s uses as well… Soul Trade is more memorable, however.

I didn’t find Soul Trade particularly memorable, but the conversion of Souls is more than makes up for everything else.

I thought the soul trade storyline was dull, but I chose to be a shepherd, and the card I get every day or so is one of the most useful in the entire game, so it was well worth the money. I enjoyed the aunt storyline, but her card is more annoying than beneficial.

The Soul Trade storyline in itself isn’t that interesting, but the choices you can do after are.

I’d like to add if you are an exceptional friend Soul Trade has an impact on the end of the Soldier’s story in the House of Chimes. Depending on the darkness or brightness of your choices during Soul Trade, the story takes some heartbreaking turns. I’d argue exceptional friendship is worth it for mid-level characters for that reason alone. One of the best, and in my case, tear inducing story lets available. Which also is referenced later in later fate-locked content, much to my glee.
edited by friendshipranger on 1/15/2013
edited by friendshipranger on 1/15/2013

I will also throw my fork in for the Soul Trade story. It actually helped finally define where I wanted my character to go, role-playing wise. Also, the two options there are both quite helpful, but for different reasons. I was personally never too fond of my auntie.

Hmm, I never found the House of Chimes all that interesting; I rarely visited it while Exceptional. That said, the two candles that Exceptional Friendship entitles you to were very useful, and worth the price in my opinion. Perhaps I just wasn’t high enough in stats last time, it might be time for a re-visit![/quote]

If you attain the House of Chimes as a POSI, there are some interesting short storylines that open up when you first go there. After you have seen that content, though, the House of Chimes is not all that useful unless you want to buy stuff like honeyed laudanum (itself a Fate-locked storylet).

Hmm, I never found the House of Chimes all that interesting; I rarely visited it while Exceptional. That said, the two candles that Exceptional Friendship entitles you to were very useful, and worth the price in my opinion. Perhaps I just wasn’t high enough in stats last time, it might be time for a re-visit![/quote]

If you attain the House of Chimes as a POSI, there are some interesting short storylines that open up when you first go there. After you have seen that content, though, the House of Chimes is not all that useful unless you want to buy stuff like honeyed laudanum (itself a Fate-locked storylet).[/quote]

The house of chimes does have a few other options besides buying honeyed laudanum (Which can be bought on an opportunity card, think it’s Mr. Wines having a sale). It seems that there’s an option which allows you to access a number of things that you’d normally need to wait for an opportunity card for. Off the top of my head, you can also enter shroom hopping from there, or start Mr. Clathermont’s story there.

Still, I do agree that the house of chimes does have little to go back for. There’s the two storylines, plus an improved version of the private dinner (Gives both players confident smiles, as well as some loot), and some gambling options I never tried. But other than that? Nothing really. I actually made a suggestion concerning this over here, feel free to toss a few votes at it and offer your own comments on what you’d add to the House of Chimes. http://feedback.echobazaar.failbettergames.com/forums/25389-suggestions/suggestions/2749727-new-additions-to-the-house-of-chimes

Is Soul Trade still useful to a player who is nearly stat-capped, and done with most free stories? (Or does most of related content appear only on low-level storylines?)

On that note, what Fate-locked stories are most useful to a high-level player like that?

And are there any other Fate-locked stories I should make sure to purchase first, because they impact future paid stories?
edited by Zeviz on 1/15/2013

Soul Trade offers either menace elimination or an excellent way of making echoes. It also allows you to do something in the House of Chimes, and in the Fate-locked continuation of the Labyrinth of Tigers. So if you were going to go for the Soul Trade you should probably go Soul Trade -> House of Chimes -> Theological Husbandry so you’ll see everything there. Theological Husbandry is pretty useful too, giving you a Dreaded Transport and (if you have Flute Street access) a +3 Shadowy pet.

…Not to mention the sweet Bifurcated Owl. Frankly, as now the continuation of Theological Husbandry gets the winning palm for me, though it requires Flute Street to be appreciated fully: while Flute Street had an interesting trek and a fascinating new location, and the Soul Trade opened that nifty Opportunity, Theological Husbandry has about everything - an interesting story, unique rewards and the chance to get some interesting Qualities too.

Now I’m deciding between the Secrets Framed in Gold for the story, or the continuation ov Velocipede Squad for the story and the Ratwork Velocipede. Paradoxically I’m not sure I want the velocipede, because it would mean losing any necessity for my stallion O_o

[quote=Zeviz]Is Soul Trade still useful to a player who is nearly stat-capped, and done with most free stories? (Or does most of related content appear only on low-level storylines?)

On that note, what Fate-locked stories are most useful to a high-level player like that?

And are there any other Fate-locked stories I should make sure to purchase first, because they impact future paid stories?
edited by Zeviz on 1/15/2013[/quote]

If we’re talking purely gameplay additions, then I’d dare to say the only ones truly “worth” it are Flute Street and Theological Husbandry in order to get a Bifurcated Owl. For the most part, fate-locked storylines do not offer substantially better items or money making options. Though, as a general rule of thumb, the fate-locked storylines that have requirements to unlock and thus can only be gotten to by a higher level player have much better rewards than the ones on the Fate tab, which you can start from the very first step you take into London.

Now, if you’re playing them for the story, then all the ones people love are useful at all level ranges that you can unlock them.

I do like my owl, yes. ^^ I’m planning on doing the Velocipede Squad on another account so they’ll both have access to a Dreaded Transport, and currently checking out Secrets Framed in Gold. Or rather waiting for the card so I can actually spend Nex on it. XD

The Soul Trade unlocks something in the Fate-locked continuation of the Labyrinth of Tigers? Which Coil is it in?