Spending Connected:Masters

Just an opinion question really: is this ever worth it?

Opportunities to increase the quality are so brutally rare, at least where I am now, which I think is the mid-game - I’ve been a PoSI for a while, have made a few trips to zee, and will soon be diving into the Nadir for the first time. I can’t imagine what I could reasonably expect to trade favors with our hooded benefactors for and not feel like I got the short end of the stick.

Thoughts?

There aren’t really any good uses for it either. I mean, I can think of one, the yacht. The rest are just shortcuts and roleplay (like affair of the box).

It’s sorta similar to fate in that respect. It provides shortcuts, you earn it about as often, and if you don’t spend it it’s useless. ;P

The only repeatable way I know of to raise it is giving books to Mr. Pages. It’s worth noting that the option to give rare works has a smaller material cost monetarily but gives 3 CP instead of just 1.

It is useful in the early stages of Heart’s Desire though that takes only level 2, I think.

[quote=Jarvind]Just an opinion question really: is this ever worth it?

Opportunities to increase the quality are so brutally rare, at least where I am now, which I think is the mid-game - I’ve been a PoSI for a while, have made a few trips to zee, and will soon be diving into the Nadir for the first time. I can’t imagine what I could reasonably expect to trade favors with our hooded benefactors for and not feel like I got the short end of the stick.

Thoughts?[/quote]
I can say- if you don’t care about the connection, and just want a good way to earn x, yes!

So long as you’re happy with connected:0-1, and have heart’s desire, you can use the mr. wines’ revels loop to get level 1 connected masters -> 50 first city coins, before repeating. ~17.5 echoes to make the connection (400 wine, 400 honey, 15 compromising documents for 1 cp masters, 200 silk scraps, 3 scraps gossip, and a handful of jewels.)

You then get 50 coins of transferable cash- perfect for giving to novices or others who’re fund-raising. (or as a way to feel you have repaid debts. Sending someone who sent you a fate locked item you’ve always had your eye on 750 echoes does deal with the guilt quite well.TO BE CLEAR, I MAKE NO PROMISES TO DO THIS, IT’S JUST A STATEMENT.)

it’s a loss, to be sure, but it’s a small one, and if you need liquid cash, perfect for putting others in your debt, or for deals, you can find it to be incredibly valid. Beside, the coins are absurdly hard to get most other ways- the next most viable ones are 5 warm amber for six, or 1 connected criminals and 10 inklings of identity for 6.

Besides, it’s not like there are that many uses for the connection, and a lot of ways to kill it. Unless you want a yacht, i’d say that the connection is worthless- even when it can be used, you’ll feel ripped off if you valued it.

So, the simple solution is… don’t.
edited by Grenem on 12/15/2015