Speculation on Eater-of-Chains [likely SPOILERS]

So then, it is with utmost certainty that being marked will lead one to howl at the… well, the ‘moon’… at this point in time? I would much rather be unmarked, were it the case. How do I go about getting rid of it? I suppose carving it off with a razor will do little good in that regard, hmm?

My conquests, I must admit, would most likely find the idea of myself being afflicted with lycanthropy fairly unsurprising. If they can adjust to several of my more ‘unique’ err… characteristics, then I dare say they can adjust to anything.

I do have to wonder: Why is it only now that you wish to be unmarked? Do the restless dreams not bother you?

Simply put, I’m rather vain. A gentlething does require a certain amount of beauty sleep to look its best every day. Add the nightmarish possibility of a drooling maw and head-to-toe ‘carpeting’, and one would most certainly find that any prospects of being considered even remotely attractive to be few and far between. This mutt has given me rings under my eyes as it stands, bah.

As a seasoned Vake-hunter I can only laugh at such whining and yammering. You do not even know what real nightmares are! Indeed, turning into a werewolf would be a welcome holiday from sharing the body of a millennia-old, revenge-seeking, mad demon-thing at night…
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

How can I get that story back?
I lost a chancy Storylet and the whole thing was gone
and haven’t returned yet.

At which level are your &quotmarked by the Eater-of-Chains&quot and &quotDangerous&quot qualities?

I think the reveal was worthwhile for some, but I especially like the idea that the most ferocious and dangerous of beasts which haunts your dreams is no more than a tiny little lap dog begging for bon bons during the day and devouring the souls of men at night.

[quote=Wieland Burandt]As a seasoned Vake-hunter I can only laugh at such whining and yammering. You do not even know what real nightmares are! Indeed, turning into a werewolf would be a welcome holiday from sharing the body of a millennia-old, revenge-seeking, mad demon-thing at night…
edited by Wieland Burandt on 1/5/2012[/quote]

Demons, my dearest Vake-hunter, are delicious friends, and delectably aromatic. It is none other than the detestable stench of wet dog that does so haunt me in my sleep! At least the demon would present ample opportunity for conversation. And, no doubt, a dear spirit of its age and calibre would likely have just the most fascinating stories to tell!

I must admit that I am most potentially blinded with envy. I propose a trade!

You do not know what you are talking about. The Vake is no friend to anyone, and its foul, rotten stench is bad enough to drive any ma-, er, wom-, er, yes, to join the ranks of the drownies.

As for conversation, this is what the Vake would most likely tell you before and while devouring you:

“HUNTER MINE! QUARRY! I AM COMING! I! HAVE! CLAWS! FOR! YOU! FEARSWEET! MEAT! TREAT! CHEW YOU DOWN! SWALLOW YOU! DELICIOUS! DELIQUESCENT! EAT YOU! HOT AND WHOLE! RIBBONED PRETTILY! SLICED! CROSSHATCHED! TENDERISED! TRUSSED! MARINATED!”

What a flirt.

The Vake is quite the charmer, I see. Do let’s trade! I care not if it happens to share a body with yourself – I am certain you are not all that an atrocity to look at, after all. I will even go so far as to add a most prettily of pleases with a dark-dewed cherry atop of it.

Ladies and gentlemen we need to rationalize this issue on whichever beast is the most ferocious and health-detrimental (both to body and mind). The vake is worth a million echoes , the eater-of-chains has not had a price to it’s head yet because it tends to cheat death more oftenly than the average citizen or maybe because that sort of beast shares some sort of diplomatic inmunity . Which means that pursuing that monstruosity is not only non-profitable but it can certainly damage one’s reputation at the eyes of the “powers”.

At which level are your “marked by the Eater-of-Chains” and “Dangerous” qualities?
edited by Wieland Burandt on 1/5/2012[/quote]My Dangerous lvl is 58 by now.
marked by the Eater-of-Chains 3 - Free of Fear
Your flesh festers with the toothmarks of the thing they call the Eater-of-Chains.

[quote=crewmate]My Dangerous lvl is 58 by now.
Your flesh festers with the toothmarks of the thing they call the Eater-of-Chains.[/quote]
That explains it, then. This is a very drawn-out storylet. The Eater will return for you at Dangerous 105. Enjoy being free of fear, for now…

@G. Augustus Gourmandghast:
I can see now that you are not only reckless, but quite mad. How charming. Maybe one should meet for a honey-dream or two at the Parlour of Virtues… maybe even share a room at the Royal Bethlehem…

If, in calling one such as myself ‘mad’, that you perhaps mean ‘strong-willed’ and ‘fearless’, I suppose so. Sanity, in that case, is for the faint of heart. And that, my most intriguing Vake-hunter, is rather dull. I will not stand to live without slender a chance of entertainment. Ha!

A rendezvous in the House of Chimes, mm? I must admit, it does bring back a certain sense of nostalgia in one such as myself. How delightful. Do bring me more diamonds in the future, darling, as I rather enjoy eating them. Scrumptious.

Andrey, darling. I could not agree more that chasing down such an unchainable mongrel is unworthy of my time. I am sure the beast is of interest to someone without a certain sense of finesse or sophistication, but to one such as myself – who most assuredly does possess both those fine qualities! - such a chase would not be in my best interests.

However, I am certain the Eater of Chains would make a lovely coat. If one could only cleanse the pelt of that smell. Ngh.

[quote=Wieland Burandt][quote=crewmate]My Dangerous lvl is 58 by now.
Your flesh festers with the toothmarks of the thing they call the Eater-of-Chains.[/quote]
That explains it, then. This is a very drawn-out storylet. The Eater will return for you at Dangerous 105. Enjoy being free of fear, for now…
[/quote]
Does this mean I wasn’t suppost to meet that ferocious kick-ass beast by now?

Why not? According to the wiki the opportunity card where you first meet the Eater-of-chains unlocks at Dangerous 21, the next part with Dangerous 33, then 45… and then there’s a long break till 105.

I didn’t want to spoil myself, so I didn’t look it up.
But thank you! :)

A new wrench in the works: Someone on Twitter once complained of their Marks, and was told to apply to Mr. Wines for compensation–evidently the blasted thing is the result of an oneiromantic experiment that went a tad awry.

Of course, that doesn’t entirely disprove the theory that it’s Fenrir. One never knows where the Masters are involved; that’s why they’re so delightful

just stumbled upon the tweet you mentioned: https://twitter.com/#!/Mr_Spices/status/13915336453

“The Eater of Chains is the regrettable result of Mr Wines’ unwise meddling in oneiric matters. Apply to him for compensation.”
(Though Mr Spices would probably blame Mr Wines for almost anything… it may not be the most reliable source on the matter.)

[quote=Wieland Burandt]
(Though Mr Spices would probably blame Mr Wines for almost anything… it may not be the most reliable source on the matter.)[/quote]

Also, considering we are talking about the Masters, it should be noted that he didn’t say what kind of compensation. Who knows what they might do to one who complains overmuch?