Someone is Coming and Favours/Renown

Right now, the near-entirety of SiC is gained from conflict cards between connections. The ongoing Favours/Renown conversion, however, is making such cards much more weighty and significant to play.

Will alternative sources of SiC pop up? Will those conflict cards simply give much more of the quality, scaling it up in the same way they did the other results? Or will the mechanic be left to rot, a curiosity that almost never comes into play?

[quote=Jeremy Saklad]Right now, the near-entirety of SiC is gained from conflict cards between connections. The ongoing Favours/Renown conversion, however, is making such cards much more weighty and significant to play.

Will alternative sources of SiC pop up? Will those conflict cards simply give much more of the quality, scaling it up in the same way they did the other results? Or will the mechanic be left to rot, a curiosity that almost never comes into play?[/quote]
Left to rot? almost never come into play?

It won’t be as frustratingly over-saturated for people who play conflict cards, no. But there’s still the widow’s charity, and the conflict cards are actually profitable from an epa standpoint now. There are more than a few places that drop it cheaply besides conflict cards, and new conflict cards mean those who previously ignored conflict cards may well find they encounter it more now- since its value is so much greater, and SOIC is icing on the cake, where before, they were the tiny slice of cake after a large plateful of broccoli. [worth noting, Conflict cards tend to have the best, or one of the best, EpF of all the cash-ins.]

In short, it slows down how fast you can get it at your best, but speeds you up at your worst. And I think that’s a good thing.

[quote=Grenem][quote=Jeremy Saklad]Right now, the near-entirety of SiC is gained from conflict cards between connections. The ongoing Favours/Renown conversion, however, is making such cards much more weighty and significant to play.

Will alternative sources of SiC pop up? Will those conflict cards simply give much more of the quality, scaling it up in the same way they did the other results? Or will the mechanic be left to rot, a curiosity that almost never comes into play?[/quote]
Left to rot? almost never come into play?

It won’t be as frustratingly over-saturated for people who play conflict cards, no. But there’s still the widow’s charity, and the conflict cards are actually profitable from an epa standpoint now. There are more than a few places that drop it cheaply besides conflict cards, and new conflict cards mean those who previously ignored conflict cards may well find they encounter it more now- since its value is so much greater, and SOIC is icing on the cake, where before, they were the tiny slice of cake after a large plateful of broccoli. [worth noting, Conflict cards tend to have the best, or one of the best, EpF of all the cash-ins.]

In short, it slows down how fast you can get it at your best, but speeds you up at your worst. And I think that’s a good thing.[/quote]

I’m actually a big fan of the new system. However, for better or worse, it conflicts with the current balance of Someone is Coming. SiC is supposed to build up in tiny but frequent increments, and then used in comparatively large amounts. Counting the Days is an almost identical mechanic.

The new conflict cards are by no means strictly beneficial, and they certainly can’t be played often. Building Favours is slow, and once you get the card you have to throw a bunch of them away. The current conflict cards, meanwhile, have no net negative over two actions, and they are far more frequent. You can play them without a second thought, building up SiC while you are at it.

If SiC is left as is, it will be much, MUCH slower to build, to the point that it might take several weeks of constant play to increase one level.

My point is that something will have to change, or SiC will affect gameplay so rarely it’ll hardly even figure into most people’s experiences.

And my counterpoint is- only the people who suffered through conflict cards got SOiC anyways. And yes, suffered is the word. 30 cp urchins, -15 hell, 2 wounds, and 1 point SOIC isn’t great, and while it’s certainly an extreme example… none of the cards were great, even if you put a price tag on SOiC. now it’s a slow-to-build-up bonus, not a neccessity to make the conflicts even worth doing. There were- are, if you don’t care about connections for connection’s sake, or for the mystery renown prizes- only two cards worth doing that gave SOiC in london, and only one of them is being nerfed by the conversion.

[well, they also buffed connected, now, but before- there was little or no point in collecting connected above 50, and even hobbyists wouldn’t see a point in passing 100]

Post-conversion i get more SOIC than i did before, since conflict cards are no longer discard on sight. this will, admittedly, change when church or great game swaps, but the point stands. As it is, it’s a polarizing thing, and rather than the neat little bonus i always felt it was meant to be, it was solely worth doing for the sake of that point SOiC.
edited by Grenem on 8/2/2016

My guess is that, after the whole conversion, Londoners (and other) will get 0.5/1 CP of SiC per AP rounded up.
Hope they have a plan for SiC as I love increasing it even if the card is a bit annoying sometimes! :)

[quote=Skinnyman]My guess is that, after the whole conversion, Londoners (and other) will get 0.5/1 CP of SiC per AP rounded up.
Hope they have a plan for SiC as I love increasing it even if the card is a bit annoying sometimes! :)[/quote]

There’s no such thing as a half change point. It’s the most basic element of a quality in StoryNexus.

[quote=Grenem]And my counterpoint is- only the people who suffered through conflict cards got SOiC anyways. And yes, suffered is the word. 30 cp urchins, -15 hell, 2 wounds, and 1 point SOIC isn’t great, and while it’s certainly an extreme example… none of the cards were great, even if you put a price tag on SOiC. now it’s a slow-to-build-up bonus, not a neccessity to make the conflicts even worth doing. There were- are, if you don’t care about connections for connection’s sake, or for the mystery renown prizes- only two cards worth doing that gave SOiC in london, and only one of them is being nerfed by the conversion.

[well, they also buffed connected, now, but before- there was little or no point in collecting connected above 50, and even hobbyists wouldn’t see a point in passing 100]

Post-conversion i get more SOIC than i did before, since conflict cards are no longer discard on sight. this will, admittedly, change when church or great game swaps, but the point stands. As it is, it’s a polarizing thing, and rather than the neat little bonus i always felt it was meant to be, it was solely worth doing for the sake of that point SOiC.
edited by Grenem on 8/2/2016[/quote]

Connected is incredibly important. Not the number of the quality, but the amount of change points. It’s a currency worth stockpiling, and many of the Connected qualities (looking at you, Widow) are practically impossible to get outside of conflict cards. Society is vitally important to anyone trying to increase their Notability, Urchins are the best source of Certifiable Scraps in the game until you get an Overgoat, and so on. I don’t play conflict cards for SiC, I play for the connections. And believe me, they get used up FAST.

[quote=Jeremy Saklad][quote=Grenem]And my counterpoint is- only the people who suffered through conflict cards got SOiC anyways. And yes, suffered is the word. 30 cp urchins, -15 hell, 2 wounds, and 1 point SOIC isn’t great, and while it’s certainly an extreme example… none of the cards were great, even if you put a price tag on SOiC. now it’s a slow-to-build-up bonus, not a neccessity to make the conflicts even worth doing. There were- are, if you don’t care about connections for connection’s sake, or for the mystery renown prizes- only two cards worth doing that gave SOiC in london, and only one of them is being nerfed by the conversion.

Connected is incredibly important. Not the number of the quality, but the amount of change points. It’s a currency worth stockpiling, and many of the Connected qualities (looking at you, Widow) are practically impossible to get outside of conflict cards. Society is vitally important to anyone trying to increase their Notability, Urchins are the best source of Certifiable Scraps in the game until you get an Overgoat, and so on. I don’t play conflict cards for SiC, I play for the connections. And believe me, they get used up FAST.[/quote]
How is Society important for Notability? Are you referring to Salons? And Overgoats don’t unlock any method of getting scraps.[li]

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Jeremy Saklad][quote=Grenem]And my counterpoint is- only the people who suffered through conflict cards got SOiC anyways. And yes, suffered is the word. 30 cp urchins, -15 hell, 2 wounds, and 1 point SOIC isn’t great, and while it’s certainly an extreme example… none of the cards were great, even if you put a price tag on SOiC. now it’s a slow-to-build-up bonus, not a neccessity to make the conflicts even worth doing. There were- are, if you don’t care about connections for connection’s sake, or for the mystery renown prizes- only two cards worth doing that gave SOiC in london, and only one of them is being nerfed by the conversion.

Connected is incredibly important. Not the number of the quality, but the amount of change points. It’s a currency worth stockpiling, and many of the Connected qualities (looking at you, Widow) are practically impossible to get outside of conflict cards. Society is vitally important to anyone trying to increase their Notability, Urchins are the best source of Certifiable Scraps in the game until you get an Overgoat, and so on. I don’t play conflict cards for SiC, I play for the connections. And believe me, they get used up FAST.[/quote]
How is Society important for Notability? Are you referring to Salons? And Overgoats don’t unlock any method of getting scraps.[li][/quote]
I guess he is talking about saloons, but you can also spend society connections for making waves on Slowcake’s Amanuensis card(even if it’s not a good idea), also, I think there was a bug on the goat card that allowed you to do the option to send an invitation to a player but you didn’t actually have to send it to get the items(scraps), this option was removed long ago though.
[/li]

[quote=Jeremy Saklad]

You can endlessly level up Widow connected in Spite. I haven’t bothered much though, since there seems to be little use for widow connected beyond sacrificing it to reduce nightmares on the urchin conflict card.

The widow is useful - with widow 30 and 5 Docks favours you can get a Strong-Backed Labour (very useful for POSI item crafting and getting expedition supplies if you don’t just use the Dock favour for them), 250 jade and a bundle of oddities.
As you say the widow/urchin card also gives a way to reduce nightmares and any way to lower menaces is useful.

Perhaps as more cards get converted to Favours and Renown SiC will grant bigger rewards, or perhaps get more cards? Either way, I’m not worried-if you really want SiC, its actually pretty easy to grind at Zee, due to the Fair Zailing and Glim-Fall cards.