Some questions about BDR

As a freshly appointed PoSI, I have some questions about BDR. I have done some research, though I’d like to ask more for opinions and experience, as well as clear some things up, lest I make my own confusing opinions.

In any case, here goes:

I’ve noticed that, from among the three qualities, Respectable challenges seem to be the toughest, as well as Respectable items being the most common, even the most rewarding. One example of this is the Zubmarine versus the Yacht - +1 B against +4 R! That is quite the difference.

Well, I know that BDR is used to lower the cost for Notability, all equally. With all these Respectable options, is it wise to invest heavily into this quality? Other than Notability, and maybe some challenges down the line, I’m assuming BDR is a role-play thing. I’d rather like a Zubmarine, but it seems foolish to not get a Yacht one day for the rather big boost to your Respectable.

If anyone is worried about spoiling anything, it’s also enough to tell me if the three qualities have an even representation (which is, in the end, what I’m really asking.)

Checks for specific BDR qualities are very rare and failing them is not the end of the world. You right, its mostly roleplay thing and from practical standpoint only your max (sum of) BDR is important.
edited by Waterpls on 12/17/2018

At least one of the ambitions has a Respectable check at one point. Couldn’t comment on the others.

Light Fingers! has a Respectable check of 7, I know.

10 Dreaded can really help you with Heists.

[quote=Frogvarian] One example of this is the Zubmarine versus the Yacht - +1 B against +4 R! That is quite the difference.
[/quote]The Yacht is only +2 R, I believe. Still a difference but not quite as large.

[quote=Ulysses Kingfisher][quote=Frogvarian] One example of this is the Zubmarine versus the Yacht - +1 B against +4 R! That is quite the difference.
[/quote]The Yacht is only +2 R, I believe. Still a difference but not quite as large.[/quote]

Oh! My mistake. So much for not double-checking. Still a difference indeed, but a better one.

Thanks for the responses, guess I won’t worry much and just get as much as I can. Bizzare here I come!

Well, you don’t have to specify into one specific aspect of BDR, unless it’s for RP reasons, there aren’t many BDR checks that I can recall. Dreaded is used in Heists on a card with a guard, Light Fingers! has one Respectable 7 check (no % chance, you need to have 7R) and then the Faction Pet cards, but that should be about it really.

You usually care much more about total BDR rather than the level of any particular one, so especially as a new PoSI it’s probably most sensible to just go with whatever is cheap or accessible. You can fine-tune later. There are so few tests of Respectable, Dreaded, or Bizarre that it’s not much of a consideration.

This may be of use: https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Bizarre,_Dreaded,Respectable(Guide)

…and I see that by being absent during the election, I missed out on some Best-in-slot gear. RIP. :-p

They will be available for Fate.
The Dreaded bonus for heists, which was mentioned above, is the most common use I believe. I love doing heists wielding a huge lance and wearing an irrigo dress - I can imagine people noticing me yet deciding to pretend they didn’t see me; best stealth technique ever!

My favorite combination is a Young Stag (Dreaded +2) arriving on a horse far too stubborn for its own good (Obdurate Stallion, Dreaded +2), knocking on the door (Seven-Fold Knock, Dreaded +4) and walking in humming a tune (Hellish Hymn, Dreaded +1) before pulling out a kitten (Grubby Kitten, Dreaded +1) - and the thought of encountering that will make any night-watchmen get out of the way.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]They will be available for Fate.
The Dreaded bonus for heists, which was mentioned above, is the most common use I believe. I love doing heists wielding a huge lance and wearing an irrigo dress - I can imagine people noticing me yet deciding to pretend they didn’t see me; best stealth technique ever![/quote]
And best off, they can honestly tell their employers they didn’t see anything. After you pass the irrigo will take effect, and 15 minutes later they’ll be wondering why they feel a bit cold in the nethers.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]They will be available for Fate.
The Dreaded bonus for heists, which was mentioned above, is the most common use I believe. I love doing heists wielding a huge lance and wearing an irrigo dress - I can imagine people noticing me yet deciding to pretend they didn’t see me; best stealth technique ever![/quote]
Sir Terry Pratchett would be proud.