So what's the math on short stories?

I don’t feel that I am ready to writing for the Duchess… though I have that option… I have been regularly writing short stories for echoes… but only once have I ever passed a check… so I use a ton of actions for only 10 echoes… if I am going to fail at 70+% every time, does it make sense to run my promising up well above 60 despite all the other costs required to improve much above 60?

If not, does it make ANY sense to run up to 60 just for 10 echoes?

Real life is taking a HUUUUGE toll on my as of late, so I don’t have the time to do all the calculations myself… so any help you can offer is appreciated!

At non-PoSI levels, writing short stories is a good way to turn an echo if you’re likely to pass the edit checks. You can get your story up to quality 60+ without any extra items, and that will give about a 75% chance of turning in a story worth 30 Echoes. A friend and I wrote a story a day for a good long time, and she hardly ever missed the quality check (I, on the other hand)… you need to write 31 pages of story to get Quality 60; if you can do 4 action writing without fail, that’s 24 actions to write, and 20 to edit. Plus one to start and one to sell = 46 actions for 30 echoes. That’s a better rate of return than a lot of stuff at the lower level.
However, if you can assure Trading antiques at the Palace, and have or can get a lot of moon-pearls, you can score 1000d in 8.2 actions by selling the good stuff, which as far as I know is the best rate-of-return at the lower levels. Even if you do the other trade, that’s 78d per action, which ain’t hay. It gets lots better when you can do PoSI stuff, of course, but that jade grind is quite profitable. And the jade can be up-converted to Ancient Mysteries if you’re thinking of a room at the Royal Beth, which I expect to have in a short while.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]At non-PoSI levels, writing short stories is a good way to turn an echo if you’re likely to pass the edit checks. You can get your story up to quality 60+ without any extra items, and that will give about a 75% chance of turning in a story worth 30 Echoes. A friend and I wrote a story a day for a good long time, and she hardly ever missed the quality check (I, on the other hand)… you need to write 31 pages of story to get Quality 60; if you can do 4 action writing without fail, that’s 24 actions to write, and 20 to edit. Plus one to start and one to sell = 46 actions for 30 echoes. That’s a better rate of return than a lot of stuff at the lower level.
However, if you can assure Trading antiques at the Palace, and have or can get a lot of moon-pearls, you can score 1000d in 8.2 actions by selling the good stuff, which as far as I know is the best rate-of-return at the lower levels. Even if you do the other trade, that’s 78d per action, which ain’t hay. It gets lots better when you can do PoSI stuff, of course, but that jade grind is quite profitable. And the jade can be up-converted to Ancient Mysteries if you’re thinking of a room at the Royal Beth, which I expect to have in a short while.

– Mal[/quote]

I would have expected to pass a few more of the 75% checks… but I failed 5 out of 6, which makes me think I should have been hunting stuff to raise dangerous instead… it seems that the Duchess will have a bit harder checks, and I’m guessing that enough failures will get me booted early, yes?

I’ll try the Trading… only just gained access last night so I haven’t seen all there is to offer…

Honestly I have NO clue where I’m actually going… which is frustrating since this is apparently the best time to &quotget there&quot… all my stats are nearly even now ranging from 72-77 unmodified… I’d like to start gathering some things I may need once the PoSI thing starts, but I can’t figure out what I need (other than the townhouse, which seems out of reach for me… STILL only have 100 Romantic Notions)

I paid cash for the townhouse, myself. Well, cash for the honey, then upconverted. It was the first thing I got, but I wanted a nice roof over my head.
If you’ve Made Your Name in all the areas, then your stats are at a point where you have a reasonable chance to do interesting stuff (Expeditions, Capers), and still learn a little. Of course, one may fail six casing checks in a row, as I did the other day… patience! If there is one thing this game requires, it is patience. That and insanity, I mean.

– Mal

Mentors are good to have, yes. Especially if your Free Evenings are just sitting there otherwise.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]Mentors are good to have, yes. Especially if your Free Evenings are just sitting there otherwise.

– Mal[/quote]

I certainly have unused free evenings!

Link to a thread for proteges to seek patrons: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic6084-protgs-seeking-patrons-only-protgs-need-post.aspx
You may have a Patron for each stat, if you can find someone to do it. There are a number available. Grenem of the Young Turks just capped her Watchful, but I don’t know if she intends to assume the quality of Watchful mentor. Anyone with 200 in a stat may assume ONE quality in which to mentor others.
To be a protege/e, your adjusted stat must be <100. PoSIs may be tutored, and if your raw stat is 100> but can be lowered below 100 by equipment, you may still receive tutoring. It will add about 1 point to the stat in question. I’ve tested all these assertions recently, so they may be taken as accurate, at least for the time being.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/8/2015

[quote=malthaussen]Link to a thread for proteges to seek patrons: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic6084-protgs-seeking-patrons-only-protgs-need-post.aspx
You may have a Patron for each stat, if you can find someone to do it. There are a number available. Grenem of the Young Turks just capped her Watchful, but I don’t know if she intends to assume the quality of Watchful mentor. Anyone with 200 in a stat may assume ONE quality in which to mentor others.
To be a protege/e, your adjusted stat must be <100. PoSIs may be tutored, and if your raw stat is 100> but can be lowered below 100 by equipment, you may still receive tutoring. It will add about 1 point to the stat in question. I’ve tested all these assertions recently, so they may be taken as accurate, at least for the time being.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/8/2015[/quote]
Unless is see a good reason not to, I will be taking that when i am at 200 again- nadir trips reset me back to 199, but i’ll be at 200 soon.

Also, the wiki discussion claims it adds ~1 level, not a single point- though that may be what you meant.
edited by Grenem on 12/8/2015

Right, level, not CP.

– Mal