So this one time, Oscar Wilde met Walt Whitman ...

Faintly NSFW, I guess, if your workplace is particularly prudish about reading about people who maybe probably totally hooked up one time with no sordid details included. But this seemed like it would be relevant to some of your interests.

&quotYou are either the kind of person to whom this matters a great deal, or the kind of person to whom it matters not at all. To the latter I say: yours is the narrow road and the straight, and I extend to you a hearty and fulsome handshake, as well as my sincerest wishes for your continued good health. To the former I say: Want to hear about the time Walt Whitman and Oscar Wilde (probably) hooked up??&quot

“The night is long, and the night is full of terrors…” - I can’t think of this sentence anymore without picturing a shadow-demon coming out of a woman’s womb. An image disturbingly appropriate to the essay’s subjects, considering what seemed to be Oscar’s and Walt’s opinions on what’s “sickening” XD

this ranks among the top five things I have ever read

Hullo, this post almost slipped off my radar - thanks, mortos, for bringing it back! This is a delightful story - I’ve read the book the author cites, but I’m just as glad to see the story on its own, with Python quotes hidden in the metadata. (Of the two poets’ works, I think I prefer Whitman’s by a wee margin - much of his work was integrated into my wedding, actually.)

always glad to be of service. Relevant anecdote: I was facilitating my book club tonight about the Case of Charles Dexter Ward (a Fallen London-esque book in its own right), and we started idly discussing whether Ward and Curwen could plausibly have had sex. Normally the facilitator doesn’t offer their own opinion, but I was so excited I leapt out of my chair and shared this fun fact
edited by mortosthegodly on 10/30/2013