Serpentine Engine is kinda weak.

Fretling is correct.

There was a ton of engine discussion - is it fair to say that the speed vs fuel consumption makes the starting engine still more efficient than any of the purchasable ones?[li]

It depends on your ship weight.

On the starter boat, the Cutter, and maybe the Corvette, I’d say yes (though some people upgrade to the 1000 or 1500 anyway). On anything heavier, no, you’re losing too much from the increased Terror and Supply Usage.

I’ve never taken that option, so I have no idea.
edited by Olorin on 2/15/2015

I have taken that option. Can confirm.

On the starter boat, the Cutter, and maybe the Corvette, I’d say yes (though some people upgrade to the 1000 or 1500 anyway). On anything heavier, no, you’re losing too much from the increased Terror and Supply Usage.

I’ve never taken that option, so I have no idea.
edited by Olorin on 2/15/2015[/quote]
Oh, goodness, not the dreadnought with that engine. Yeah I mostly meant in the beginning before finding the fulgent impeller.

[li]

[li]Honestly this is because many players prefer the lower fuel consumption to speed. The Serpentine is best suited for medium-speed trips with low fuel consumption – not the huge consumption of faster ships.

[quote=SouthSea Rutherby]
Honestly this is because many players prefer the lower fuel consumption to speed. The Serpentine is best suited for medium-speed trips with low fuel consumption – not the huge consumption of faster ships.[/quote]
I used the serpentine in a merchant cruiser and found it to be plenty fast.

Admittedly that was also with an avid suppressor.