Seeking Mr Eaten's name

True.

I might grind up a Destin’s the hard way, for variety. That’s about the only thing I didn’t try last time.

Ugh. Destin’s. I only got it with help (shoutout to Grenem, who married me at the bazaar, giving me the last 2 points of notability. Thank you for putting all that effort in, it helped me a lot!)
Granted, all I was doing was side-converting tier-3 actions and the got me to Notability 10 without a whole lot of trouble, but I’m not sure if it would have gotten me all the way. Maybe I should have invested in a salon, but I hate relying on cards.
If that’s your only motivation for seeking again, I don’t know if it’s really worth doing it. I guess it is kind of fun to scare the amanuensis off.

Well, I’ve been grinding Notability with the alt anyway - I’m up to 8 now - just to have fun with the salon.

I don’t really have a motivation for seeking again, I just…hmm.

Mmm.

The whole reason that I started playing FL was because Seeking sounded fascinating, and now that it’s gone I rather miss it.

I can totally understand that. I was here before I started seeking, but it’s definitely what has kept me around recently. Without it, I probably won’t be checking into FL more than once a day.

Forgive me for not leafing through the whole thread! I want to take one of my characters NORTH, but I’m finding it all a little overwhelming (thanks, fibro fog). Is there a simple checklist of requirements anywhere I could peruse to get a handle on things? I’ve looked at the wiki guide, obviously, but it’s a bit much at the moment. What I’d like to do is make myself a concrete step-by-step plan so I can keep track of where I am and what I need to do so I don’t waste time flailing about. I’m not looking to rush the process, just to make sure I don’t keep getting lost.

Cheers!

Behold: General Seeking Progression As It Stands, Right Now, As Far As I’m Aware (Hopefully) - I was a candle

the main omission from that list is Saint Beau’s Candle, which requires a lot of moon-pearls and a lot of memories of light
edited by Teaspoon on 3/11/2017

I’ve got a question about St Destin’s candle: Can you still get it through notability, off of Slowcake’s Amanuensis’ card, or is it just Winking Isle content?

Slowcake’s works just fine.

Also note, you cannot get Destin’s on WI. You can only lose it there.
edited by phryne on 3/12/2017

Ah, so. OK. Back to grinding MW it is for me! I’ve got the Calling Card, but I’m putting off going to WI until I’ve got my Cider. Don’t want to have to just toss 50K worth of echoes!

And thanks!

So, question. I just came back from Winking Isle for the last time (thank god) and need to get the last four candles. But my Seeker was an alt and a relatively new POSI who came into a calling card sooner than I expected, so I kind of…didn’t do most of the initial POSI grinds and my BDR is Terrible. I have a boat, Cave of the Nadir access, 2 points of Notability, and…not much else. Oops.

Would it be faster for me to try to do those grinds now that I don’t have to sell everything not the pretty white dress on his back and grind Notability for Destin’s, or should I just wait for the Festival of the Zee in August and Torment?

I’d sell everything for BDR equipment, become a Midnighter, and spent all my time grinding Society for a Salon. If you get started now then you’ll probably do fairly well.

Besides, it’s not like you have much else to do right now.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try to work on that, then.

And it’s true.

If you’re planning on going all the way NORTH anyways, it’s much easier to get Destin’s through Torment than Notability. So it really depends on whether you would rather go NORTH as soon as possible or go NORTH with a minimum of grinding.

[quote=laskaris]So, question. I just came back from Winking Isle for the last time (thank god) and need to get the last four candles. But my Seeker was an alt and a relatively new POSI who came into a calling card sooner than I expected, so I kind of…didn’t do most of the initial POSI grinds and my BDR is Terrible. I have a boat, Cave of the Nadir access, 2 points of Notability, and…not much else. Oops.

Would it be faster for me to try to do those grinds now that I don’t have to sell everything not the pretty white dress on his back and grind Notability for Destin’s, or should I just wait for the Festival of the Zee in August and Torment?[/quote]

I went through the same thing with Minimum Viable Seeker. It missed the Fruit of the Zee festival by inches. Frankly, I did the Notability grind to get Destin’s with my main account which has about 28 BDR and it was still a highly unpleasant process. I didn’t even bother trying with Minimum Viable Seeker. Just put the brakes on and waited for Hallowmas to roll around so I could get the Torment destiny. The wait for Fruit of the Zee is longer than that wait was, but unless you’re really itching to get this over with I’d wait.

If you’re going ahead with the grind &quotMembership of God’s Editors&quot is an easy +4 BDR. You should also be able to get +2 from a &quotRespectable Landau&quot or &quotClay Sedan Chair&quot without too much fuss. After that, just buy whatever BDR gear you can from the Bazaar and I’ve found collecting large numbers of &quotTales of Terror&quot through &quotThefts of a Particular Character&quot and up converting them all the way to &quotUncanny Incunabulum&quot (with the help of an &quotEndowment of a University Fellowship&quot to keep the connections up) the easiest way to perform big MW sprints. The other methods I’ve found either rely on cards or have worse CP to Action ratios.

That’s very informative, thank you.

…and checking my stats, my BDR is currently, uh, 5. And the Notability grind is hell enough on my main who has much better BDR and stats (+ who didn’t just dump all their stuff down a well). I guess I might poke at the Notability grind to give myself something to do but waiting is…definitely the better option.

[quote=laskaris]That’s very informative, thank you.

…and checking my stats, my BDR is currently, uh, 5. And the Notability grind is hell enough on my main who has much better BDR and stats (+ who didn’t just dump all their stuff down a well). I guess I might poke at the Notability grind to give myself something to do but waiting is…definitely the better option.[/quote]

You can improve your BDR with items from the Bazaar, you know, though the best improvements seem to be items you need Fate to get. Still, if you have enough Echoes, you can get headwear, clothing, and boots that will provide a BDR boost. In addition, Profession items can give BDR, as can your Club (attainable if you’re a POSI), Transportation (from the Extended part of your Inventory) and Affiliation (ditto) can add to your BDR.

Follow-up question: Drowning my Secrets from the Seeking Road can bring my SMEN quality to 35, right? The wiki says there’s no limit. I don’t have great odds there but I’d rather grind out St Destin’s before heading to Winking Isle.

Also, how many trips did you folks who’ve been to the Island take? It it possible to do everything in a single go? Or do you need to collect Proscribed to get the Calling Card again?

Yes, it has no limit, but WI is a better idea.

You can finish WI in one go if you want, and visiting it doesn’t consume the calling card.

[quote=LouBlue]Follow-up question: Drowning my Secrets from the Seeking Road can bring my SMEN quality to 35, right? The wiki says there’s no limit. I don’t have great odds there but I’d rather grind out St Destin’s before heading to Winking Isle.

Also, how many trips did you folks who’ve been to the Island take? It it possible to do everything in a single go? Or do you need to collect Proscribed to get the Calling Card again?[/quote]
There’s no limit, but it’s worth noting that using drowning secrets, with best-possible watchful, apparently costs more in sell price than at least one cider to get to 77. I strongly suggest you just bite the bullets and go to WI.

[quote=LouBlue]Follow-up question: Drowning my Secrets from the Seeking Road can bring my SMEN quality to 35, right? The wiki says there’s no limit. I don’t have great odds there but I’d rather grind out St Destin’s before heading to Winking Isle.

Also, how many trips did you folks who’ve been to the Island take? It it possible to do everything in a single go? Or do you need to collect Proscribed to get the Calling Card again?[/quote]

The main limit with increasing SMEN with the Seeking Road options is that they require more resources and even more difficult checks for each level of Seeking you’ve already achieved so things quickly get out of hand.

Having brought 2 characters through Winking Isle so far, I’d recommend heading there once, spending a month (or however many weeks the RNG demands from you) grinding Seeking all the way up to 70ish, then come back and start worrying about the candles you don’t have. In the long run, this will be much less painful.

If you’re really worried about the Notability grind for Destin’s, I’d do it now and not worry about your Seeking value (assuming you can already make it to Winking Isle). Then go to Winking Isle until you’ve reached the Seeking value you need to get Destin’s, come back, get the candle, then head straight back to the island. The RNG will probably let you get there fast enough you won’t have to worry about loosing Notability to Time the Healer. Emphasis probably.