Seeking Dilemma

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][quote=absimiliard]At a meta level I would agree Kylestien. There’s got to be no way FBG would punish someone for marrying a Seeker, it would be a horrible design decision on the basis of player retention. If my spouse ate my character I would assuredly be done with this game, quite permanently. Allowing one to inflict such things on oneself is awesome, inflicting them on someone without Explicit Consent . . . they wouldn’t do that.

edited by absimiliard on 6/8/2016[/quote]

[color=#009900]Your reasoning is sound, but omits one important point: I’m only at Failbetter for another five working days, and basically, everyone else in the office has drawn their desks back to the other side of the room while I snarl obscenities and type with my feet. I don’t know what damage I might do on my way out.[/color][/quote]

If I give you a offering of M_____'s B____d can you NOT do a spouse eating thing on your way out ? I was saving it from a copy of he crimson book but that option did not come round and if I can ensure the safety of marriage from your wrathful exit I’d glady give it. XD

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Your reasoning is sound, but omits one important point: I’m only at Failbetter for another five working days, and basically, everyone else in the office has drawn their desks back to the other side of the room while I snarl obscenities and type with my feet. I don’t know what damage I might do on my way out.[/color][/quote]But you know we love you for it.

(Thank you, but take care of yourself!)

[color=#009900]Kylestien: Allegedly, all shall be well and all manner of thing

an_ocelot: thank you! don’t worry about me; I’m really looking forward to the next n months. Watch the space.[/color]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Kylestien: Allegedly, all shall be well and all manner of thing

an_ocelot: thank you! don’t worry about me; I’m really looking forward to the next n months. Watch the space.[/color][/quote]

Good to note. And I wish you luck in future endeavors. (:

I guess now you will be forced to see THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN though.

And what do you have planned? 0-0
edited by Kylestien on 6/8/2016

Well, now we know what to give Alexis as a going-away present.

– Mal

Just wondering – is that the front feet or the back feet? Because, you know, tiger…

Also, while you are here Alexis, on topic slightly: (What advice can you give a spouse of a seeker who wishes to help said seeker but not seek? And no, cutting and running is not a option.

[color=#009900]Kylestien: my advice is to dissuade them from Seeking, and divorce them immediately if they don’t.[/color]
[color=#009900]malthaussen: definitely not teeth, pls
Jermaine: all of them.

and future plans: I’ve got some freelance work probably lined up that I hope to be able to talk about soon. Then I have a long list of other games I want to make. [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)] [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]@alexiskennedy on Twitter is generally where I’ll talk about or link to talking about stuff, if you’re interested!

Cheers all. I’m off home now but it has been delightful seeing the reaction to this storyline coming out of hibernation. I’ve been as impatient for it as anyone, for a long time now.[/color]

eat your teeth

Oh, but why mine if I can take teeth from other people?

its allowable to do both

You heard the rat, plan to grind Glasses of Teeth next FotER! ;)

Thanks for the advice all those who gave advice.

Alexis: Divorce is not a option for me alas. I wish to support him in his madness but no go after it myself. If he needs a boat to go North I will captain it, if he needs a feast at midnight I will be the guy who goes to the butcher and pays double, if he tries to devour me I’ll hit him with a stick till he decides not to and find some random vicar somewhere for him instead like I did with my plant. (:

although I would like to know if locking myself out of seeking means I cannot help him in any way. Like I said I have no desire to seek but if I can’t help him if I lock myself out of it I will gladly allow the extra cards in my hands. /:
edited by Kylestien on 6/9/2016

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Kylestien: Allegedly, all shall be well and all manner of thing

an_ocelot: thank you! don’t worry about me; I’m really looking forward to the next n months. Watch the space.[/color][/quote]

I’ll train my telescope on the space between the stars.

Kylestien: Imagine you are married to a cocaine fiend. If you insist on enabling their habit, don’t be surprised when people ignore your protests and try to convince you otherwise. I, however, am the first Seeker who will succeed, so instead I request that you transfer your oaths to me and immediately hand over your teeth.
edited by TheThirdPolice on 6/9/2016

Yeah, but this is a game and even seekers play it for fun, although of a twisted kind. I’d never support such a habbit in real life. As it is, I wish to aid my friend. (; Also every Seeker thinks they will pull it off. None will.
edited by Kylestien on 6/9/2016

In all seriousness, I’m giving you silly answers because I don’t really know what New Seeking entails yet. You’ll likely get better answers in a week, and beyond as the story progresses. For now, just be prepared for Menace reduction requests, and follow Estelle’s advice.

I do disagree with the “bitter end” part though — there is no such thing as a sunk cost fallacy without the fallacy. If the cost becomes greater than your spouse is willing to pay, the correct move is to drop out. The only difference is that this quest promises to push the cost upward without limit, so if your spouse values ANYTHING in the game more than Seeking, continuing in the hopes that they’ll keep it is a very risky gamble.

[quote=TheThirdPolice]In all seriousness, I’m giving you silly answers because I don’t really know what New Seeking entails yet. You’ll likely get better answers in a week, and beyond as the story progresses. For now, just be prepared for Menace reduction requests, and follow Estelle’s advice.

I do disagree with the &quotbitter end&quot part though — there is no such thing as a sunk cost fallacy without the fallacy. If the cost becomes greater than your spouse is willing to pay, the correct move is to drop out. The only difference is that this quest promises to push the cost upward without limit, so if your spouse values ANYTHING in the game more than Seeking, continuing in the hopes that they’ll keep it is a very risky gamble.[/quote]

Fair enough. i appreciate the advice all of you have given, and hope for more advice when we know more. To those seeking I wish you luck, and to those not I applaud your common sense. (:

So, now that we know a bit more about Seeking, i was wondering if it were time to revive this and what new advice can be offered.

Menace reduction, seriously: every point of Seeking gets you Nightmares, at the very least. Send cryptic clues via Neath’s Mysteries to turn into Appalling Secrets. Allow yourself to be betrayed for St Arthur’s Candle (you can then use A Bad End to get out of it).

Well, first of all- seeking is highly expensive. sending funds is always useful. If possible, stay in your lodgings and send him both cryptic clues on the neath’s mysteries and gift boxes on give a gift. If the knife and candle were a thing that still existed, i’d only partially seriously suggest setting up a brass ring transfer- [1. make a character with lowest possible elusive. 2. have him make one with highest possible. 3. buy, or aquire through upcrafting brass rings. 4. have him attack you. each time he successfully defeats you, he gains one item he can sell for 12.5 echoes.].

In addition, seekers tend to have bad habits of nearly dying and going mad, and slightly better ones of going to tomb-colonies and prison. Some of these are unavoidable. Others, though… are fully within a seeker’s ability to escape, should they have help providing menace reduction actions. Send help with wounds, and make it clear he can ask for help at any time.