Second Thoughts!

A ‘Quit to Main Menu’ button would be very welcome, as that’s the only place where the build number appears and we need that information for bug reports. Having to exit and reopen the game to get the build number is inconvenient.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]The 0.1.3 build is now with Humble Bundle - Explorer-level backers can expect to see it show up on their download page later today (my guess would be by sorta 8pm BSTish).[/color][li]

[color=#009900]Here’s what’s in this update! http://sunlessseagame.com/update-0-1-3-ruby [/color][/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]So, on the PC version, I began a new game with a past wreathed in shadows, and I ended up with a completely textureless map. Even London was absent. It was very sad. [/li][li][/li][li]EDIT: It happens on a loaded game, too. [/li][li]
edited by djcrashoverride on 5/21/2014

I found loading an existing game - I THINK - tried to display two worlds: the saved world and a fresh, unexplored one. Needless to say this brought the frame rate down considerably.

Start a new game, delicious friends! :)

I’ve got a completely blank map as well both with a new game and one I’ve been playing. Just have the names and no land, My existing chart shows the markers for the ports I have visited but nothing else,

Well I have a map now, just had to exit and then click the update button. Very different, will reserve judgement until I have sailed around a bit more, but first impressions are that it is too cluttered.

Downloading the update worked for me, too.

Found a bug with current build, when I dock in Codex and launch, I can’t move. Left and Right can, not forward or backword

[color=#009900]As folk have noticed, there can be some weirdness unless you update content before playing. I’ve added this to the patch notes. Sorry for the confusion![/color][li]

I’ve had this happen; it seems the engine gets &quotturned off&quot or something. Try clicking on the flame icon to dump a barrel of fuel into the engine; that got me moving again.[li]

Gorgeous update! Okay, doing a bit of a feedback brain dump.

1: What are those boats with the beacons dotted around? Do they mark the edge of London’s territorial waters?
2: The changes to the Terror icon are interesting. Still getting used to its new appearance, but it serves its purpose. It’s still not always clear which waters are considered terrifying before we’ve entered them… and sailed a little way before noticing the icon’s changed.
3: The new ship stats, with weight and power and crew requirements, are super-neat! I look forward to playing with them more as I earn the cash to upgrade.
4: Why is the Boadicea more than twice the price of the Manticore, when its stats are inferior?
5: Man, it is super-slow travelling with less than half crew. Made me all the happier when I got to Venderbight and randomly met a new crewman!
6: I like the new islands a lot. I was very impressed with their design and their storylines.
7: Abbey Rock and Mutton Island look very odd when they’re close together. Mutton Island is so bright, it’s like a neon sign next to the Sisterhood.
8: I’m not sure why, but story icons sometimes disappear from ports without explanation, and I have to launch and immediately dock again to get them back.
9: In the Shipyard screen, the Ligeia-class Steamer’s stats don’t appear in the same order as the other ships’.
10: Also, stats that are lower always appear in red, even when lower is presumably better - as in, ship weight.

[color=#009900]Thanks for all this, folks! We have a follow-up patch coming tonight which fixes several identified issues - details at the bottom of [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]http://sunlessseagame.com/update-0-1-3-ruby[/color][li][/li][li]
edited by Alexis on 5/22/2014

[li]Edited to remove something that was a spoiler, sorry. [/li][li]
[/li][li]By the way i am not &quotunfeeling brute&quot I just wanted to know what happened when i made a certain choice.
edited by Alexis on 5/22/2014[/li][li]
edited by reveurciel on 5/22/2014[/li][li]
edited by reveurciel on 5/22/2014

[color=#009900]You unfeeling brute. Also, spoilers, so edited.[/color][li]

A couple of thoughts with the most recent build:
Positive thoughts: Sweet mother Teresa on the hood of a Mercedes-Benz, those graphics are beautiful. Plus, all those new places in Shepherd’s Wash makes everything feel much less empty in the zee. Also, the exploit where I could shoot without illumination is gone, which makes me happy from a game balance perspective. All of the new content is exciting so far. The expansion of port reports and the developing mysteries in Shepherd’s Wash are some of my favorite things.

Not as positive thoughts: Those lighthouses look like boats and I died trying to fight one. Fuel decreases at an alarming rate, making having the light on at all impractical at best, and suicidal at worst. I manage to burn through 3 barrels of it between ports sometimes, and when the light seems to be the only way to discover new islands/terrain features for fragments, that gets frustrating. Also, for some reason, my chart does not update during gameplay anymore. New ships tend to be prohibitively expensive. They’re firmly outside of price ranges unless you do a lot of slowly building echoes via trade, and the trade-off value for some of them seems unusual for what you pay. I think if there were more ways to earn larger sums of echoes than bulk trading of goods, this would be less of an issue.

A curious bug I’ve run into; when at docks, clicking on ‘Shipyards’ does nothing. And yet when I leave for sea, a picture of my ship and some washed-out text about the ship’s name and such remain lingering on the screen like some ghost wherever I go.[li]

Crashing into a lighthouse and dying because I thought it was a boat I could fight was in fact my first death on the 0.1.3 build. (&quotPicking a fight with a lighthouse&quot is an amusing way to die, at least.) I didn’t mind because, hey, that let me take the cook you get with the soldier backstory and fill a slot that otherwise can’t be filled with any other background. The lighthouses are a lot more lethal than rocks because if you ram into them you bounce off and ricochet the way you used to do when you hit a deadly buoy, complete with the same horrible metallic grindy crashy noise. At least it makes sense that colliding with a lighthouse at full steam would destroy your ship, though.

The way I earn more than a few echoes per voyage is by looking for weird artifacts I can sell to the Alarming Scholar, getting as many port reports as possible, and spending as much time as possible in Port Cecil picking up scintillack. Taking Recent News to the tomb-colonies along with the tomb-colonists themselves helps too.

The drain rates of Fuel and Supplies have effectively switched places as far as I can tell. I used to stock my ship with more Supplies than Fuel and now I have to get out of that habit. This highlights the fact that you can pick up a box or two of Supplies in lots of places while you’re at zee (Demeaux Island and butchering beasties, mainly), but the only place I know of to get Fuel without paying echoes is one of the random Collection of Curiosities results. There’s a real risk of getting stranded now; with the previous drain rates, starvation or terror would have got you first unless you either deliberately used up all your fuel or had a massive stroke of bad luck.
edited by CameoAppearance on 5/23/2014

There is a way to get fuel and supplies but you need to find and beat a pirate ship.

For me, at least, things to fight are still very sparse. I’ve done at least one full loop of all the ports and only saw a couple of crabs on the way out of London.

Is it me, or is the game getting more . . . . glitchy ever since the new build?

More content, more graphics, and more stuff behind the scenes might cause things to occasionally hiccup until they’re polished, since there are a lot of new things your save file is dealing with at once. Playing an older save from a previous build can certainly contribute to this, as can running other programs while playing. Make sure to report any bugs via email, to make sure FB staff is aware. Things are still in beta, after all, so bugs are there and in need of squashing.

[quote=Zack Oak]
More content, more graphics, and more stuff behind the scenes might cause things to occasionally hiccup until they’re polished, since there are a lot of new things your save file is dealing with at once. Playing an older save from a previous build can certainly contribute to this, as can running other programs while playing. Make sure to report any bugs via email, to make sure FB staff is aware. Things are still in beta, after all, so bugs are there and in need of squashing.[/quote]

I played a new game since the update. Mainly because I want to see how tough it is. And it is. Also, already send a bug report.

I am asking if anyone else is experiencing the same glitchyness as I do, which mainly refers to, glitchy frame rate, turning speed varied, getting stuck in ports and such.