Second chances mechanic?

Has the mechanic for second chances changed or is it a bug that when one uses a second chance on an option that has a price tag, one has to pay that price tag a second time?

I remember this not being the case…I don’t really believe it’s a ‘second chance’ if I have to pay a Personal Recommendation twice after using a Sudden Insight, not to mention I can’t play the second chance because I don’t have a second said item to use…ugh.

That was discussed awhile ago. You miss a lot when you don’t play regularly.
Relevant thread here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic20715-announcement-another-chance-for-second-chances.aspx

– Mal

I play everyday, I just didn’t see where the mechanic for cost changed…

[quote=CaptainNemo]Has the mechanic for second chances changed or is it a bug that when one uses a second chance on an option that has a price tag, one has to pay that price tag a second time?

I remember this not being the case…I don’t really believe it’s a ‘second chance’ if I have to pay a Personal Recommendation twice after using a Sudden Insight, not to mention I can’t play the second chance because I don’t have a second said item to use…ugh.[/quote]
This is a bug. I don’t know when or where, but it’s bugged. 90%+ sure, anyways

They had something similar with the overgoat card, where it would cost 8 actions to retry, and that turned out to be a bug, so this is probably one too.
edited by suinicide on 12/28/2015

I just made an Impossible Theorem yesterday and had to Perhaps Not out with second chances about 5 times. I definitely DID lose 9 actions every time, and an escalating number of second chance items (1, 2, 4, 8, 16) but I definitely didn’t lose the price tag items, which include 49 Searing Enigmas. I only had 49.

So if something different is happening – you lost a Personal Recommendation despite not seeing either the success or failure message? – that’s a bug. Your Personal Recommendation should not get removed until you see either the success or the failure. If you checked the Second Chance box, you don’t see the failure even if you failed, and you can Perhaps Not out. What were you even trying to do – court an Artist’s Model or a Jewel Thief for marriage? Those are the only things you can use a second chance on that consume a Personal Recommendation, AFAIK.

Grats! :-D

[quote=metasynthie]I just made an Impossible Theorem yesterday and had to Perhaps Not out with second chances about 5 times. I definitely DID lose 9 actions every time, and an escalating number of second chance items (1, 2, 4, 8, 16) but I definitely didn’t lose the price tag items, which include 49 Searing Enigmas. I only had 49.

So if something different is happening – you lost a Personal Recommendation despite not seeing either the success or failure message? – that’s a bug. Your Personal Recommendation should not get removed until you see either the success or the failure. If you checked the Second Chance box, you don’t see the failure even if you failed, and you can Perhaps Not out. What were you even trying to do – court an Artist’s Model or a Jewel Thief for marriage? Those are the only things you can use a second chance on that consume a Personal Recommendation, AFAIK.[/quote]

I was trying the Artist Model and I did click perhaps not after it failed (i had no other choice) and now it says it requires 2 Sudden Insights, yet my only Personal Recommendation is gone. The same thing happened to me on the 3 Expedition Supplies required card, I clicked the second chance button and I had only 2 supplies left after 3, which left me unable to complete the second chance, so I had to perhaps out of that one too and also completely lose the expedition. Something is wrong here, those second chances helped in no way at all.

Also congrats on the theorem!

That definitely sounds like a bug – it was deducting the cost of the action early, so it’s basically as if the Second Chance didn’t even take effect.

I did screenshot and report it finally. I’ve been told it’s flagged and will be fixed! :) (Also avoid using second chances on valuables for the time being)