Schools of Art

Something new: apparently three new schools of art (and a ‘none of the above’ option), with associated actions in the Singing Mandrake. (They looked pitched towards players with Persuasive around 70 or so. Is this plugging a gap at the Shuttered Palace?) It appears the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer has been renovated as part of this.[li]

Is there an option to change it from one of the established schools to rejecting labels? I’m curious as I’m not part of any of the schools and would like to knowif I could go back and forth.

Yes, at the Singing Mandrake you have one storylet to leave your school, and other three to join one of the three currents. Notice that these are the same currents you get to choose doing the Bohemian Sculptress storyline, except that now you have a specific ability detailing your choice.

Yes, in the Mandrake you can change to any of the four options. (With a three action task to set yourself to a school, but only a single action to renounce affiliations.)

It’s rather nifty, isn’t it? Nice to see these little ties developing with the everyday business of the city. I haven’t seen any ties to the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer yet, though. Incidentally, what schools have people allied themselves with? Personally, well, this may change down the line, but Sir Fred’s gone Nocturnal, Hubris Celestial, Juniper Bazaarine, and Esther unaffiliated.

Nocturnal. After all, how can you not love an option that allows you to leave Devils, Bishops, and High Society all aghast at a simple song?
edited by Mordaine Barimen on 12/24/2013

Id also like to say these options are great for grinding making waves. 2cp per 3 actions and only 1 type of item gets drained. The celestial and bazaarine one doesnt seem to have any penalty either.

I confirmed the Bazaarine affiliation. Blue’s never been the artist type, more of a serious professional bent on giving the audience what it likes - very pragmatic, and his profession as a spy ties in well with the “secrets” theme ^^

Ah, just the touch I needed for The Player. Celestial it is! He can’t forget the Surface!

The options to switch allegiance at the Mandrake also raise Making Waves. (At least the Bazaarine one did- you can choose the one that matches your current affiliation to not change it.)

HA! Devils… Let them turn their nose up at me. Let them put ALL the worms in my hat. To bad their contempt bleeds over into the slightly more savory parts of society.
By the time I am done with them, humans will look upon devils as little more than pompous clowns… CLOWNS!
I will collect the laughter. Put it in jars. Save it all… This is the cherry on top for my grand dream.
edited by AgentBlueSky on 12/24/2013

I’m quite pleased at this.

My RP story about getting kicked out of Court was that my religious parody opera was about Jesus coming back from the dead in the Neath and written in the line of the Life of Brian/Monty Python in general. Now I know that there’s a whole school of art for that! Embrace the Nocturnal!

[quote=MidnightVoyager]I’m quite pleased at this.

My RP story about getting kicked out of Court was that my religious parody opera was about Jesus coming back from the dead in the Neath and written in the line of the Life of Brian/Monty Python in general. Now I know that there’s a whole school of art for that! Embrace the Nocturnal![/quote]
Quick, someone rewrite ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life’ for the Neath!

Now that I think about it, that opera option does sound a lot like Monty Python. ‘You’ll have to stand still if you want to be a martyr’, especially.

Celestial! The Surface is not the limit, the sky is!

[quote=Alexander Feld][quote=MidnightVoyager]I’m quite pleased at this.

My RP story about getting kicked out of Court was that my religious parody opera was about Jesus coming back from the dead in the Neath and written in the line of the Life of Brian/Monty Python in general. Now I know that there’s a whole school of art for that! Embrace the Nocturnal![/quote]
Quick, someone rewrite ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life’ for the Neath!

Now that I think about it, that opera option does sound a lot like Monty Python. ‘You’ll have to stand still if you want to be a martyr’, especially.[/quote]

That’s what I thought exactly about that song title! And really, I think Always Look on the Bright Side of Life is pretty Neathy as it is. Jesus can sing it as he’s hanging at Hangman’s Arch!