Runaway Fiance

Months ago I’d met someone as an acquaintance and later began dating them in-game. When I finally proposed to them I had already stocked up on wedding supplies ahead of time, so the grind for choosing The Event of The Year venue was easily half way completed from the start. After exhausting my wine reserves, stitching together ungodly silks, and committing genocide on any and all non-sentient rodents, I had finally raised my Organizing A Wedding quality to 10005. Sadly, my wife-to-be had been silent for the next few weeks after my accomplishment and to this day has yet to display any activity in Fallen London. Without any knowledge pertaining to her absence I’m compelled to move on.

This is where I’m confused. Is it possible to go through the marriage without her interaction? Even if that is an option, I’d prefer not to bind my character to a no longer active player. So, if I wished to begin seeing others and perhaps become engaged to someone else, would I be able to marry them instead? Also, would it be possible to become engaged with my new suitor and drop my old one whilst retaining the current progress in my Organizing A Wedding quality to use on my new marriage? As painfully pragmatic as it may sound for wedding affairs, preparing my character to this point cost months of hard work, countless melted candle stubs, and enough echoes and valuable trinkets to make a Master raise an eyebrow. If all possible I’d like to move on from this ordeal without having to erase all that it took to get here.

You can’t break off your engagement without consigning all of that hard work to the dustbin. (You get very apropos text when you do.) You also can’t presently divorce player spouses.

That said, there’s really nothing to do with a player spouse at the moment, either, so you’re not really giving much up by marrying them, other than the potential to have the Boneless Consort.

I will skip sarcastic jokes about the value of modesty and unsettling attitudes of lady-karma, but…
…10005 quality points ? Why does anyone do this ?!
I suspect that there has to be something potentially obtainable that requires such level of preparation, otherwise I can not characterize you as a pragmatic person.
edited by Andrew Astherson on 7/28/2015

[quote=Andrew Astherson]I will skip sarcastic jokes about the value of modesty and unsettling attitudes of lady-karma, but…
I suspect that there has to be something potentially obtainable that requires such level of preparation, otherwise I can not characterize you as a pragmatic person.
edited by Andrew Astherson on 7/28/2015[/quote]
In all honesty I wanted to get it up to 10000 for two reasons. The first was from a roleplaying aspect of thought in thinking that I’d want the best for my love. The second was as simple as &quotHey that looks hard and interesting, let’s do it!&quot when I saw the option arise.

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]You can’t break off your engagement without consigning all of that hard work to the dustbin. (You get very apropos text when you do.) You also can’t presently divorce player spouses.

That said, there’s really nothing to do with a player spouse at the moment, either, so you’re not really giving much up by marrying them, other than the potential to have the Boneless Consort.[/quote]

The thought of throwing all that progress away twists a knot in my stomach. Too bad I can’t keep the progress from my previous lover for a new one. Oh well, such is fate.

Perhaps contact FBG about it? They’ve been known to help out with vanished spouses sometimes (I think?), it might still be possible to keep the Organizing a Wedding quality for when you find a new fiance.

[quote=Andrew Astherson]I will skip sarcastic jokes about the value of modesty and unsettling attitudes of lady-karma, but…
I suspect that there has to be something potentially obtainable that requires such level of preparation, otherwise I can not characterize you as a pragmatic person.[/quote]

The top-tier wedding requires 10,000 Organising a Wedding, rewards you with 2 &quotfree&quot points of Notability, and also allows you and your spouse to get an item with no other source.

[li]

Thanks for the heads up! I’ve heard of FBG helping out with matters like this in the past. I suppose this is the only option I have in hopes of finding a new fiance. Fingers crossed.

Funny, this’ll be the second time I’m involved in contacting FBG about marriage issues. First my partner somehow glitches the game into letting her acquire two fiances, and now this. How riveting!

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]
Funny, this’ll be the second time I’m involved in contacting FBG about marriage issues. First my partner somehow glitches the game into letting her acquire two fiances, and now this. How riveting![/quote]

Maybe the Tiger Keeper would throw his paws up in the air and say, &quotYou are too much trouble to deal with! I will just marry you instead.&quot

Unlikely, the fez kitty is married.

ACTUALLY. I just remembered something. Weddings are auto accepted. Which means that you can STILL marry your runaway fiance, provided they’re still in London. You can get the notability and the unique item. And then afterwards you could contact FBG about getting a divorce.
edited by Cecil on 7/29/2015

[quote=Estelle Knoht]
Maybe the Tiger Keeper would throw his paws up in the air and say, &quotYou are too much trouble to deal with! I will just marry you instead.&quot[/quote]
Weirder romances have occurred in the Fallen London universe, that one being no exception. What do you say, Mr. Kennedy?

[quote=Cecil Palmer]

Unlikely, the fez kitty is married.

ACTUALLY. I just remembered something. Weddings are auto accepted. Which means that you can STILL marry your runaway fiance, provided they’re still in London. You can get the notability and the unique item. And then afterwards you could contact FBG about getting a divorce.
edited by Cecil on 7/29/2015[/quote]
I’d be willing to have him on the weekends if she’s okay with keeping him during the weekdays. Not too unreasonable of a marriage proposal, right?

That does sound tempting, Cecil. After all, why settle for one unique item and an offline wife when I could have TWO of the same unique item and a new spouse/Tiger Keeper/enigmatic entity of the Neath to boot? I have to wonder, though, would they remove any benefits from the first marriage after divorcing the two of us? Also, I’d hate to earn the ire of the devs if they saw it as me trying to pull the wool over their eyes in an attempt to reap the benefits of two different marriages. Would they even interpret it that way? Doubtful, and yet I’m still hesitant. I’ll certainly be keeping that option in mind.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 7/29/2015

Two fiances? Shoulda seen the trouble coming. :)

[quote=Estelle Knoht]
&quotYou are too much trouble to deal with! I will just marry you instead.&quot[/quote]
[Upon hearing that the man writes something to his notebook]
Particular address…V
Ton of rubber…X
Box full of flammable beverages…V/X
Firearms…V
Desperate followers…X

Ehm… So where was I ?

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]
&quotrewards you with 2 &quotfree&quot points of Notability&quot[/quote]
Hardly an option for those who use their notability as a currency.
edited by Andrew Astherson on 7/29/2015

So. NiteBrite, Carlos and I did a thing together, and we have ourselves a bit of a ménage à trois. And you know, Sir Joseph Marlen, your fiancé was the inspiration for this and the reason I figured out how to do this.

EDIT: Dear Failbetter Games, please don’t fix this. This wouldn’t be possible to do by accident and this is really beautiful, being able to do this makes me really happy, I’m poly in meatspace, so this makes me really really happy. I wish I knew I could do this when I was getting married in FL originally. Please don’t change this. So happy.
edited by Cecil on 7/30/2015

[quote=Cecil Palmer]So. NiteBrite, Carlos and I did a thing together, and we have ourselves a bit of a ménage à trois. And you know, Sir Joseph Marlen, your fiancé was the inspiration for this and the reason I figured out how to do this.

edited by Cecil on 7/30/2015[/quote]

Glad to see polyamory alive and well in the heart of London! After all, why would the Bazaar settle for the usual romantic duo tales when it can have three characters in its stories to spice things up?

Not going to lie, I’m regretting not having us follow through with the marriages. All three of us were up for it, but we just assumed it wasn’t possible since we were informed it was merely a glitch and wouldn’t work. Ah well, c’est la vie. Nonetheless, it’s good to see someone pulled it off. Congratz!