Requesting Tips on Abstraction and Future Paths

Hello,

[li]
I’ve been playing for almost 2 months now, I have W)73+7, S)72-1, D)61, P)51+12, I have completed all Training professions except Dangerous, and am on the Persuasive training profession now, have 2 more weeks before I am where I want to be (70+ basically). I have completed many quests, have almost completed the Vake Hunting quest, I want to hold back for a higher level before I complete that one. I have also joined Knife and Candle, opened routes to The Flit, The University, The Forgotten Quarter, and the Labyrinth of Tigers. Have gained the Correspondence Stone, have 2 very interested devils on the hunt for my soul (my poor brilliant soul ;)) and am currently comfortably ensconced in the rooms above a bookshop.

I am currently asking for suggestions on 2 things, what path do you guys suggest I take next, and what are the pros and cons of Abstraction?

Pretty please with sugar on top?

CR

There’s not really much penalty in getting Abstracted. Summerset won’t be happy with you, but on the plus side it’ll set your Intimate of Devils quality to 20, ridding your deck of those cards forever. You can also get your soul back, either through the use of Fate or by a card you draw in the University (you’ll want to copy the map of the new heavens).

I’d say go to Wolfstack Docks next. You’ll need to raise your Dangerous up to 97 before the Labyrinth of Tigers opens up to you. You’ll also earn Greyfields 1879, which you need to gain access to the Shuttered Palace.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]… or by a card you draw in the University (you’ll want to copy the map of the new heavens).[/quote]I read that they fixed a bug that was giving a lot of Bundles of Oddities fixed values when they were supposed to be random, and the bugfix specifically mentioned that it wouldn’t be quite that easy to regain one’s soul, or find a Blemmigan Secretary.

But when this door was closed, a window seems to have been opened: The Bundles of Oddities gained through The student body are now random, which is worse for grinding Echoes, but they have a range that appears to cover the ‘magic’ number. So as soon as one has access to the second part of the University tales, one can begin to grind terms in order to perhaps regain one’s soul. No guarantees though. Not until someone’s actually gotten that particular number.

The bad part would be that all the Summerset content that requires a soul comes before the second part, so for maximum coverage one might wish to hold off on abstraction until one has experienced the Summerset storylets from one side, and then go through with the abstraction to experience them from the other side. And only after all of that, start the second part by attempting to create one’s own department.

Oh, I didn’t realize that. Thanks for letting me know. :)

It is possible to slowly raise your Intimate Quality to 20 normally through luck with tempting fate by listening. I’ve managed to get them to give up on my soul, which amuses me to no end.

I gave up my soul a long while ago. I was desperately infatuated with a devil. He pursued, eventually got my soul, and I had not heard much from him since. But in any case, I don’t think soulessness causes any problem for me. Yes, you won’t be able to get on with Summerset. And I don’t think you can seek the name without a soul to stain, but I’m not sure since I’ve never attempted that task. Otherwise you’re fine.

@Mordaine, it’s interesting to know that you can raise Intimate quality to 20 without giving up your soul! That’s outstanding!

Yes, you need to have your soul to stain it. That tripped a few people up in the past.

[quote=Gillsing]
But when this door was closed, a window seems to have been opened: The Bundles of Oddities gained through The student body are now random, which is worse for grinding Echoes, but they have a range that appears to cover the ‘magic’ number. So as soon as one has access to the second part of the University tales, one can begin to grind terms in order to perhaps regain one’s soul. No guarantees though. Not until someone’s actually gotten that particular number.[/quote]

Ah thanks! Now I can grind the University without worrying about losing the opportunity of regaining my soul. Having to remember to switch in and out my Talkative Rattus Faber when I want to flip cards isn’t very fun. :)

[li]

Thanks guys, I didn’t expect such a turnout! I have a feeling this next part is going to be very fun. I think I’m going to work through the first part of the university before going any further with that charming devil though. Just to make sure I haven’t missed anything I need a soul for (seek the name?? is that what being peckish is for?) then just for fun maybe I think I’ll let the devils think they won. Right before I go get it back! Mwahahahaha. XD (Sorry its not even 7am over here I don’t think I’m awake.)[li]

Yep, Peckish quality is related to Seeking the Name! But if you’re going to go that route…well, first of all it’s on a temporary hiatus. Secondly stained souls disgust devils, so either you can give them what they want (temporarily) or you can eliminate your Intimate of Devils quality entirely by presenting them with your tainted soul. Can’t do both.

[li]
Oh dang. Hmm decisions, decisions. Well temporary hiatus should give me time to get my soul back don’t you think? I always aim to complete all goals in whatever game I decide to play. :)

Also there is a certain fate-locked option, for a devilish companion, that needs the Intimate of Devils quality. So if you are a seeker you will not be able to make her acquaintance.[li]
edited by circe on 3/24/2014

For me, I just gave them my soul early on, got it back far later then started Seeking.

ha. didn’t know that was possible. i guess that’s too late for my main. not that i care much for the university’s stiffs. i really only enjoyed mining the murder case for secrets, and the tomfoolery of the stags.

btw losing your soul when seeking mister eaten’s name can be very very bad for you. but SMEN is always bad for you anyway, so who cares?

Just went through around 5 rounds of Term Passing in the second segment of the university, and got a Starvelling cat once. So close!

Also, no, you’re not almost done hunting the Vake. This will still go on for a good long while…