Renown

So clearly meetings at the carnival are a convenient way to get started on raising these, but where do you go from there? Opportunities in cards/stories seem incredibly scarce. Is the standard practice simply buying the faction items from the bazaar to convert favours into renown, or am I missing something?

That’s it. You wait for opportunity cards to get favours, and you cash them in on faction items (yo uonly need one of each, they are reusable).

The only other renown increases are either one-off (iirc there are some in the making-your-name-in-*** stat trackers) and exceptional stories (and then again only in some rare ones).

Got it, thanks. Cor, that’s going to be a slog.

True, but the final items are best-in-slot. And the text for each new level plus the texting for getting each final item, is nice.

No matter the items, the renown system was intend to be a (very) long term grind.

Wish you good luck and patience with it!

[quote=xKiv]That’s it. You wait for opportunity cards to get favours, and you cash them in on faction items (yo uonly need one of each, they are reusable).

The only other renown increases are either one-off (iirc there are some in the making-your-name-in-*** stat trackers) and exceptional stories (and then again only in some rare ones).[/quote]

There’s a couple of others:

• The ‘connected’ pet from watchmakers hill. You can select one suitable to your current renown goal.
  • Counting the Days carousel. Two factions (Great game, and I think bohemians?) can play that all the way through via storylet, provided certain conditions are also true (You need to have your soul and be a master thief). This can thus mean you grind mark-of-credit pages, which in turn can be surrendered for multiple favours. (I think 1 of each of docks/urchins/great game/bohemians) http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Spending_Secrets_and_Counting_the_Days_(Guide)

Those are favours items, not renown. They were talking about direct renown increases, not ways to get favours.

Amassing scores of favors are mandatory for increasing renown, though.

Yes, which is exactly what xKive said in the quote you replied to

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24895-the-ultimate-guide-to-favours-and-renown.aspx

I was replying to the post directly before mine.

I was replying to the post directly before mine.[/quote]
My point is that the post I was replying to was conflating favours and renown. They are connected, but it made it sound as if having the connected pet would give you renown, which it does not.

Well, I’ve got all of them except Rubbery to 40 now. Woop woop!

Congratulations! That’s no easy job, especially with all the holiday festivals in the meantime.

Not that there’s a whole lot of incentive to raise Rubbery to 40 without Fate. You have to visit Flute Street to get the Rubbery 40 Item. I know I will eventually have Constables and Criminals both at 50, because Paramount Presence’s London’s Marrow 3 requires both. I hope to be known to none and all for this.

Good luck!

I know, and while I do have access to Flute Street now, it’s not like I need their item for anything since I have the Contrarian’s debating lessons. Still, it’s kind of a completionist thing. Criminals and Constables 50 is going to take some more work, yeah. I’ll probably hit the money goal first, but I think I’ll want to choose the influence one just for the hell of it.

[quote=Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick]Not that there’s a whole lot of incentive to raise Rubbery to 40 without Fate. You have to visit Flute Street to get the Rubbery 40 Item. I know I will eventually have Constables and Criminals both at 50, because Paramount Presence’s London’s Marrow 3 requires both. I hope to be known to none and all for this.

Good luck![/quote]

And good luck from me, too! I wanted to achieve 50 Constables/Criminals before completing Paramount Presence, but I needed a Mood card to make the advances, and at the time the Mood cards were coming up too slowly. Now, I have Constables/Criminals at 50.
edited by cathyr19355 on 1/20/2019

Thank you for the wishing of luck! I’ve got a while to do this, as London’s Marrow is going to be the fourth of my “London’s X” qualities. Blood, Nerves, Sinew, Marrow. I aim to have 3 in all four of them. My Renown in both is 5/7, Constables/Criminals.