Removing ability to create new worlds, Jan 2nd

It does seem like they forgot about this. Have you tried emailing them?

Hey guys,
Just received an email from Failbetter

[quote=]Hi Ilya,

I’m afraid to say we turned off the option to create new worlds earlier this year and are not planning public support for Storynexus in the long term.

Yours,

Henry [/quote]

thats all, folks, I suppose

Good to know, they didn’t email me back. That really shouldn’t be all though… they haven’t been supporting the system for many years now, just breaking it.

Just received this:

[quote]Hello, dear StoryNexus creators,

We’d like to share our current thinking about the future of StoryNexus with you.

You probably know that StoryNexus has never been the success we’d hoped it might be. Back in 2013, we put StoryNexus into indefinite maintenance mode.

For the last six years we’ve continued to host and maintain it, but over the time this has become increasingly difficult to justify, both because of the increasing availability of excellent alternatives like ink and Twine, and because of the dwindling number of active StoryNexus creators. In the last three months, the number of creators who did significant work on their own worlds can be counted on the fingers of a single hand.

As a result, at some point in the future we expect to retire all user-created StoryNexus worlds. We don’t know exactly when that will be yet, but before we do, we’ll give you all a few months’ notice, and during that time we’ll also provide some way for you to download the text of your worlds for you to keep them, and perhaps adapt them to some other form.

We’d like to thank everyone for their interest and enthusiasm over the years. And we’re very sorry to have to disappoint those of you still actively working on your own worlds.

Best wishes,
Failbetter Games[/quote]

I wanted to know about Silver Tree and the other official FB releases still hosted on SN. I got this reply:

[quote=phryne]I wanted to know about Silver Tree and the other official FB releases still hosted on SN. I got this reply:

[quote=Hannah Flynn]It’s likely that Silver Tree will remain online in some form, but we haven’t made final decisions about the rest of the FBG-owned worlds. I will be sure to include information about this in a relevant future SN update. :)[/quote][/quote]I just saw this tweet from Failbetter, which I very much hope is an indicator that they intend to keep The Night Circus game available. Hopefully this also means that The Silver Tree and The Last Court will continue to be available as well.

It’s really a shame that StoryNexus didn’t work out – there are a lot of very creative games that the card-based format works well for, such as Below and Samsara. Perhaps a similar system will replace it in the future? I can dream, can’t I?

I’m getting close to finishing my SN replacement to run my own game (~2,000 storylets and counting). I’m not sure if I’m going to do a public version of it or not though. It’s much more work to generalise it.