Related Reading

Ladies and gentlemen and gentlepersons of indeterminate gender,

I know this forum is specifically for the game, but - I started playing a few days ago and around the same time started reading a random &quotstaff pick&quot from my local library. The book is Dan Simmons’ &quotTerror&quot, a novel based on the doomed Franklin Expedition which set out to find the Northwest Passage in the 1840s.

It’s about Victorian era steamships exploring the haunted darkness with limited fuel and terror, hunger, and monsters preying on the crew. And one of the ships was actually named HMS Terror. My apologies for going off topic but this was WAY too good not to share.

I’d say The Red Seas by Ian Edginton and Steve Yeowell is Sunless Sea adjacent.

Lots of very British sea weirdness, but with a more swashbuckling tone.

Has a very Fallen London style assault on hell and the devil though.

That sounds interesting!

For me a book that I feel fits well with SS is The Scar by China Miéville.

Pirates and remade (physically altered prisoners) in a nomadic sea society combined with sea monsters and intrigue!
edited by AorticAneurysm on 6/25/2014
edited by AorticAneurysm on 6/25/2014

There was a front-page game blog update recently where Alexis listed several books that had been an influence on the setting. http://sunlessseagame.com/sunless-influences

I’ve been reading through them (those that I hadn’t read already) and Harm’s Way was particularly excellent. The Aubrey/Maturin series is of course genius.

Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness seems especially apropos for Sunless Sea.