Redoing plots?

Do you think there’ll ever be an option to redo Last Constable vs Cheery Man, or any of the other non-fate-locked plots? Being confined to this course because of foolish newbie choices isn’t necessarily fun.

Nah, mate. You can’t re-do life.

And yet we can redo our benefactor plot, soooo…?

It might be posible, however I think it would cost fate to redo it.

Then again there are no huge ramifications from that particular story other than locking/unlocking some options/companions.

There’s one: becoming closest to the Criminals if you picked the Last Constable.

There’s one: becoming closest to the Criminals if you picked the Last Constable.[/quote]

Even then, the only thing Closest To: Criminals gives you that you dont get by other factions is the Counting the days option on their oportunity card, as far as I know.

They only put repeat options on concluded stories. We haven’t yet heard the last of these two.

There’s one: becoming closest to the Criminals if you picked the Last Constable.[/quote]

Also, siding with the cheery man permanently unlocks a criminal favour card, while siding with the constable and finishing the story doesn’t add any new cards, quite a big deal to be honest.

Plus, the Cheery Man’s card is a great card, just awesome stuff on it. (and who doesn’t want more criminal favors? I mean, c’mon!)

The option where he plays chess with the Implacable Detective is the best one, in many ways.

Oh, and don’t forget about that one option that gets you 2 favours. That’s especially useful.

Yeah, agreeing with this. To be honest it’s weird how much better the Cheery Man option is. And locking you out of a &quotClosest To&quot faction because of an early game choice to side with an interesting, cool character over an explicitly evil, and up until that point relatively boring character, is… even weirder.

(His card may be great, but there was no inkling of that when I played the plot.)

I don’t think, in a game based largely around long-term grinding, that the classic RPG excuse of &quothey only being evil can get you any profit, being good only leaves you with the Lonely Feeling Of Rightness and permanent disadvantage, because that means the Temptation ™ is Real!&quot holds much water.

Especially because – purely personal reaction here – the game seems to be asking you to side with a potentially abusive stereotypical male father figure (at least, that’s how I read it; hard not to given the setup) over a woman who’s somehow clawed her way into power in a patriarchal world who the entire world is after (FL has a few more of these than many works of fiction, but the default in the game is still very much male) to get literally any future reward and not permanently lose out on significant mechanical options for the entire life of your character. Oh, and the woman disappears from the world forever even if you side with her, unlike the Man Of The Story. It may be &quotrealistic&quot, but that doesn’t make it a great narrative theme.

(Of course, I’m not expecting people to react to that the same way I did. Reminder: purely personal reaction here.)
edited by thedeadlymoose on 6/29/2016

Also, siding with the cheery man permanently unlocks a criminal favour card, while siding with the constable and finishing the story doesn’t add any new cards, quite a big deal to be honest.[/quote]
Siding with the constable does add a new card, but it’s promptly revoked for finishing the story, and the story moves pretty quickly, so most of us only see it once, if at all! Which is a shame, as her card is every bit as awesome as his is, both in better understanding her and, If the wiki is to be believed, in the rewards.
edited by Grenem on 6/29/2016

Oh, I didn’t knew that. If so then yes, you should be able to redo the plot I supose, though being able to turn back the clock just because you do not like an outcome feels a bit like a cop-out, but that’s just me.

If anything the Last Constable option should give diferent rewards (like a counterpart card so you do not feel completly disatisfied with your choice compared to the Cherry Man).

[spoiler]There is a way to bring her back giving her story a more sweet than bitter after taste.

Sadly it’s seasonal and fate locked content.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/A_Stiff-Backed_Young_Lady_2 [/spoiler]

Edit: Tricky spoiler tags dont always behave as they should.
edited by Fincar on 6/29/2016

I think a lot of those early stories should be repeatable, particularly those with long term mechanical benefits like unique cards or items. The idea of choosing the less lucrative option for roleplaying reasons is fine, but you should probably get a warning hinting at what you’re giving up. The popularity of SMEN proves that players will eagerly make bad choices if you give them the chance to decide. Choosing to hurt yourself is more fun that accidentally screwing yourself over.

And even people who don’t necessarily want to change much benefits-wise might still be willing to pay fate to replay things, just to refresh their memory/experiences of them.

The journal is a good feature, yet it is not complete or tidy enough to revisit anything seriously.