Reactions to the Noman

And next year we’ll see people having saved up to feed their Noman Hesperidean Cider…

There is a very, very beautiful typo in the Noman text:

:D :D :D

It’s entirely possible that Norman is the funniest name in the world.

[quote=Ewan C.]My Noman… is sadly inactive, as I have seen the card only once (from which I discovered that she likes shooting Blemmigans, of all things!). At this rate I will only be able to allow her to have maybe 3 actions before melting… sic transit gloria aqua frigia.[/quote]Certainly I am seeing more of the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer than I see of my dying pal. Maybe I should buy that cottage by the sea after all, just so we can spend more time together.

[quote=HinterDemGlas]although I, in my function as the irreparable idealist…[/quote]Oh, honey…

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook] or if desperately trying to spend as much time with our Noman, in the mistaken assumption that there’s some sort of narrative payout that can be achieved other than the inevitability of death and grief, is in itself the intended artistic conclusion.[/quote]I’m working under the assumption that the payout is grief and death, but the joy comes from the journey, exploration and awe of discovery.
In both this narrative and life in general.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]It’s entirely possible that Norman is the funniest name in the world.[/quote]More than Nigel Snow-verstreet?

WARNING: the current Noman text says that it will take 5 Taste of Lacre, but in fact it takes 6. This is a slight issue for me given that I only had 6, but I figure I can at least warn others…

Should I try and get all the low level lodgings or should I try and get the Noman, especially since the price apparently just increased?

Lodgings are permanent, the Noman is emphjatically ephemeral. Both provide some interesting lore It’s up to you.

The new lodgings cost 5 actions to move into, but will reduce a specific Menace (if less than four) when you move there and take the “City Vices” cards from your hand.

Not much is known of the payoff, if any for the end of the Noman story at this time.

Presumably new methods of acquiring the Lodgings will be eventually introduced. Likewise, I’d expect the Noman to become available next year for the holidays. It’s really a matter of what things you’d value more for your character. I completely savaged my inventory to pay the Urchins for enough lacre to get all three of the lesser lodgings and skipped the Noman altogether. I find the Noman material interesting, but I’ll just wait for next year, when I can better afford such things. (I really wish the Urchins’ price for the pails was predicated on your POSI status. As a new player, it was quite painful to manage to afford a single pail, and I had to use all available resources just to get a high enough Watchful to grind out a Night-whisper. Players who’ve been around longer both already had a much higher PtPT score and far less opportunity-cost to increase theirs. I’d like to think that the designers aren’t intentionally making the gap between old and new players harder to close.)

I don’t feel like an ‘old’ player, since I’ve only been playing for four months, and I managed to get plenty of Taste of Lacre before the Urchins raised their price. The first Mr Sacks card did mention that we would want as much Taste of Lacre as possible, so while I didn’t know what for, I figured it’d be worth a shot. I was never warned that I’d want to become Notable as well, but perhaps it’s assumed that everyone wants that, all the time. Grumble, grumble. ;)

Just a quick note to explain I’ve changed the title of this thread (was &quotNoman’s Progress&quot). I’d stupidly given it the same name as another one, which had already been going for several days. Very sorry about that.

I’ve only had the creation event so far, but I just want to hug mine. If that isn’t an option, I will be sad.

Edit: from the briefest of perusals of discussion here, Nomen makes me think (vaguely) of Flowers for Algernon.
edited by babelfishwars on 1/12/2014

[quote=babelfishwars]Edit: from the briefest of perusals of discussion here, Nomen makes me think (vaguely) of Flowers for Algernon.[/quote]Yes! It hadn’t occurred to me before, but you’re quite right.

For a rather more low-brow reference, he reminds me of Commander Data out of Star Trek. He seems to have been created with a fully-formed intelligence, and our mission is to teach him a little about human emotion.

[quote=Richard ]
For a rather more low-brow reference, he reminds me of Commander Data out of Star Trek. He seems to have been created with a fully-formed intelligence, and our mission is to teach him a little about human emotion.[/quote]

I also want to hug Data. The similarity is strong.

As the Noman itself says;
“You think if you spend enough time with me, you can strike me like one of those Oaxacan treasure-pots and I’ll…” it gestures. “Burst in a shower of riches.”

There are a lot of very deliberate choices that went into this content, I’d say, as far as I can reckon it, it isn’t a bug that hedonist raises, or that magnanimous and austere drop. For all that kind of distance is beneficent, it can be Oh so very draining, in the face of the yawning maw that approaches.

I wish the prices of things would stop changing without warning! I had decided to buy a Noman and now the price has doubled and I can’t afford both that and the lodging I wanted.

Apparently there was a warning, though perhaps not in time for you to act upon it. Still, it makes sense that a fresh Noman would become more expensive as time goes by, compensating for the resources that an owner of a Noman would’ve had to spend in order to achieve a similar result.

I didn’t see it in time, I assumed the price would stay the same so was calculating how much lacre and PtPt I needed based on the original price.

I’m not sure that quite makes sense seeing as (AFAIK) those who get their Nomen later won’t get any more time with the Noman, it’s just that their time will be later than others’. (I’m not sure I’ve explained that very well! :))[li]
edited by Elnara on 1/13/2014

Hope it doesn’t rise any more. Still grinding for tears of bazaar.

[quote=deadcrystal]I’d say, as far as I can reckon it, it isn’t a bug that hedonist raises, or that magnanimous and austere drop.[/quote]How do you reconcile this view with the fact that it says right on the storylet option that Hedonist is supposed to drop?

[color=#009900]To resolve the paradox: the effect was not a bug; the storylet text (now tweaked) was an error.[/color][li]