Reaching Scarlet Saint

Also, wow: I managed to get my wounds up to 18. Gonna be playing a lot of chess with the boatman, I fear…

[quote=Sara Hysaro]Laudanum is capped now.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 7/20/2015[/quote]

Spread it far and wide.
edited by Jeremy Avalon on 7/20/2015

Can you confirm the Austere cap on letting “Indulging a Less than Laudable Laudanum Habit” drop back down? If I can save a trip to the Iron Republic I’d rather just drink up and straighten out.

I can confirm that the cap is higher than 8, but that’s about it. I got that recently, and since I’ve been keeping track of my quirk changepoints, I was able to add the cp change to the wiki.

OH. I just recalled something, you can increase your Hedonist up to 15 with ease.

All you need to do.
Is.
Kiss.
A few Counterfeit Heads of John the Baptist.

But, oh, that requires Hedonist of 12. And it decreases Austere, not sure by how much, I’ll measure when I have enough actions.
It’s still possible to get your Hedonist up to 11 via here (might be lower? updated last 6/5/13) and here (updated last 6/10/15) though. Maybe the cap isn’t 11 on either of those?
edited by Cecil on 7/21/2015

[quote=Cecil Palmer]
OH. I just recalled something, you can increase your Hedonist up to 15 with ease.

All you need to do.
Is.
Kiss.

But, oh, that requires Hedonist of 12. And it decreases Austere, not sure by how much, I’ll measure when I have enough actions.
It’s still possible to get your Hedonist up to 11 via here (might be lower? updated last 6/5/13) and here (updated last 6/10/15) though. Maybe the cap isn’t 11 on either of those?
edited by Cecil on 7/21/2015[/quote]

I can burn some Austere off, but but won’t that also send you to the tomb colonies? And then you have to choose between losing half your Austere or half your Hedonist when you leave, don’t you?

There’s also the Ornate Typewriter, but I, at least, am a long way from 250 Persuasive…
edited by asnys on 7/21/2015

[li]
I’ve actually just zet zail, so I can’t, nor will I be able to for some time.

[quote=Mark ][quote=Cecil Palmer]

All you need to do.
Is.
Kiss.

I can burn some Austere off, but but won’t that also send you to the tomb colonies? And then you have to choose between losing half your Austere or half your Hedonist when you leave, don’t you?

There’s also the Ornate Typewriter, but I, at least, am a long way from 250 Persuasive…
edited by asnys on 7/21/2015[/quote]
It doesn’t automatically send you to the tomb colonies, just gives you 36 cp scandal, so you can out maneuver a trip to the tomb colonies. You’re right though, the head is pretty much a quirk polisher, depending on the austere decrease.

I just kissed the head, I got 5cp increase, not the 6 listed on the wiki, maybe it’s a range… I also got a decrease of at least 4cp, waiting on the Bohemian card to tell me how much of a decrease.

[quote=Cecil Palmer] and here (updated last 6/10/15) though. Maybe the cap isn’t 11 on either of those?
[/quote]

A comment on that page from november says that it’s now capped at 9 (i.e. presumably goes to 10). I think I remember being disappointed when I was there (not recently) and didn’t get increases past 10, in either of the three quirks.

[quote=xKiv][quote=Cecil Palmer] and here (updated last 6/10/15) though. Maybe the cap isn’t 11 on either of those?
[/quote]

A comment on that page from november says that it’s now capped at 9 (i.e. presumably goes to 10). I think I remember being disappointed when I was there (not recently) and didn’t get increases past 10, in either of the three quirks.[/quote]
I. Uh. added the &quotmight be lower?&quot bit to the wrong link. whoops.

also. I measured the austere change on kissing Coutnerfeit Heads of John the Baptist
+5 to Hedonist, -5 to Austere.
The wiki listed a 6 cp increase. I’ll have to kiss a few more heads and find out whether there’s a possible netgain of 1 cp, if there is we might have a slightly easier way of increasing hedonist than
Iron republic for Austere
back to London to trade Austere for Hedonist
and a return to the Iron Republic to get your Austere back.

Certainly at least, using Counterfeit Heads is a lot cheaper than using quirk polishers.

[quote=Cecil Palmer]
I. Uh. added the &quotmight be lower?&quot bit to the wrong link. whoops.

also. I measured the austere change on kissing Coutnerfeit Heads of John the Baptist
+5 to Hedonist, -5 to Austere.
The wiki listed a 6 cp increase. I’ll have to kiss a few more heads and find out whether there’s a possible netgain of 1 cp, if there is we might have a slightly easier way of increasing hedonist than
Iron republic for Austere
back to London to trade Austere for Hedonist
and a return to the Iron Republic to get your Austere back.

Certainly at least, using Counterfeit Heads is a lot cheaper than using quirk polishers.[/quote]

A thought: both quirk polishers and counterfeit heads have a minimum 12 Hedonist… And 12 is what you need for Scarlet Saint anyway. :(

There’s having a menage a trois with the Barbed Wit and the Acclaimed Beauty at Court. That sends you into automatic exile, I believe, but if it could be repeated - by selling the memento of passion, perhaps? - then one could get to 12 Hedonist that way, then to the Iron Republic to get the Austere.

ETA: I’m a little reluctant to go through with that, though, because it will take a long time and I’m wondering if Failbetter aren’t going to change the cap on the Iron Republic before I can finish…

[quote=Mark ]A thought: both quirk polishers and counterfeit heads have a minimum 12 Hedonist… And 12 is what you need for Scarlet Saint anyway. :(

There’s having a menage a trois with the Barbed Wit and the Acclaimed Beauty at Court. That sends you into automatic exile, I believe, but if it could be repeated - by selling the memento of passion, perhaps? - then one could get to 12 Hedonist that way, then to the Iron Republic to get the Austere.

ETA: I’m a little reluctant to go through with that, though, because it will take a long time and I’m wondering if Failbetter aren’t going to change the cap on the Iron Republic before I can finish…
edited by asnys on 7/21/2015[/quote]

I. Oh. Oh. I some how picked it up in my head that 15 on both sides was needed.

That used to be the case. They changed it when Quirks were capped a couple of years ago.

[quote=Cecil Palmer]
After $15 worth of Fate to sate my curiosity, I can confirm that the &quotGive them your blessing&quot option on the Henchman and the Accomplice card doesn’t increase hedonism to 11. It wouldn’t raise mine any higher past 9.

Do you mean you got the “Hedonist didn’t change, because it’s higher than 9” message?

I’m partway through the Barbed Wit & Acclaimed Beauty carousel, so I may be able to check the “do them both on the throne” option – not that this if of much use to anyone who’s banned from court. I keep getting distracted and throwing a physician out the window as a quick way into the Tomb-Colonies to pick up a lion and lose a lot of Austere.

Oh, and the previously Austere-earning option for achievement-earning newspapers (“an edition brimming with truth and wisdom” that earns you Defender of Truth levels … now raises Steadfast and decreases Heartless. More recently added tradeoffs? The pitfalls are everywhere.

Has anyone recently tried becoming Closest to the Bohemians? The wiki says that can get your Hedonist to 13, but that’s from a year ago.

[li]
Any idea of the cap on that? That’s actually a trade I’m willing to make.

Oh, sorry, should have said. It’s Steadfast up to 10.

I can confirm that the cap is higher than 8, but that’s about it. I got that recently, and since I’ve been keeping track of my quirk changepoints, I was able to add the cp change to the wiki.[/quote]

I just dropped my Hedonist down from 15 to 14 to confirm… that the Austere gain from &quota rare day without laudanum&quot is capped at 10.

Now thinking about kissing some cold blue lips to make sure it goes back up…

[quote=metasynthie]Do you mean you got the &quotHedonist didn’t change, because it’s higher than 9&quot message?

Oh, and the previously Austere-earning option for achievement-earning newspapers (&quotan edition brimming with truth and wisdom&quot that earns you Defender of Truth levels … now raises Steadfast and decreases Heartless. More recently added tradeoffs? The pitfalls are everywhere.[/quote]

Yes, the &quotHedonist didn’t change, because it’s higher than 9&quot message was displayed as soon as I chose the option. Quite disheartening, really.

Also, shame to hear about the paper. There goes another route for raising Austere to 12-15. My last hope is the Iron Republic’s loop-grind to build up Austere past 10 but I’ve yet to see any confirmation that it still works (at least any info that I can recall). Does anyone know any other methods of raising Hedonism and Austere to 12?

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]
Also, shame to hear about the paper. There goes another route for raising Austere to 12-15. My last hope is the Iron Republic’s loop-grind to build up Austere past 10 but I’ve yet to see any confirmation that it still works (at least any info that I can recall). Does anyone know any other methods of raising Hedonism and Austere to 12?[/quote]

As of a few days ago, the Iron Republic won’t increase your Hedonist past 10, but it will get your Austere to 15. Speaking from experience.