ratly concerns

Hello,

I started the plaster face story, and I don’t understand how I can go on… I’m at the “carnage” state, and I’m offered three possibilities: one is a long shot, another is fate-locked, and the third needs Ratly concerns at least 5. However, my ratly concerns is 2, and I don’t find the way to increase it, because the “night conference” storylet (which, if I remember, could increase the ratly concerns) has disappeared. Any help please?

[quote=Master Polarimini]Hello,

I started the plaster face story, and I don’t understand how I can go on… I’m at the “carnage” state, and I’m offered three possibilities: one is a long shot, another is fate-locked, and the third needs Ratly concerns at least 5. However, my ratly concerns is 2, and I don’t find the way to increase it, because the “night conference” storylet (which, if I remember, could increase the ratly concerns) has disappeared. Any help please?[/quote]
If you fail the “Look for clues” test, you can try again. It just gives you some Nightmares. Nothing from which you can’t recover.

In relation to your sig: http://about.failbettergames.com/2012/09/17/670/

so is there no possibility to gain ratly concerns at all?

P.S.: thanks for the link, good news! :)

When you rid yourself of Vermin, there should have been an opportunity card that appeared called “The Departed” which would have given you SARC on the “Add your own dead to the pile” option. Your “Night Conference” card should also keep appearing as long as your SARC is below 4.

Those are the only ways I know to up the quality without an Albino Rat. It’s really not important, though. The SARC option is the much worse choice on that storylet anyway. At the end of the story you will either have opportunities to increase the quality indefinitely, or another, rather more heartless option which which will make you not care about that particular quality at all.

I do believe the “The Departed” card only shows up on Watchmaker Hill though.

‘The Departed’ also only boosts SARC if at 1 or higher. I personally didn’t gain the quality before ,[color=#333333]killing the big rat[/color] but I expect there might be another source?
edited by Aximillio on 10/18/2012

The way to get SARC before doing that story is by doing the Night-Time Conference story, which starts in your Lodgings, and requires all purchasable rats including the Bandit-Chief. I believe it locks at some point in the Plaster Face story- not sure if you’re past that point yet.

(There’s an old thread griping about the cost/benefit for these storylines somewhere)

I have a related question(not sure if I should start a new thread or not). I’m at “Meeting with the Albino Rat” and I want to raise my “Having Rodentine Minions Investigate” to higher than 10 but I haven’t gotten the opportunity card that I would need to do that in Quite Some Time.

Does that card lock when your stats are at a certain point? Are there other ways to get “Having Rodentine Minions Investigate”?

[quote=James Jones]I have a related question(not sure if I should start a new thread or not). I’m at “Meeting with the Albino Rat” and I want to raise my “Having Rodentine Minions Investigate” to higher than 10 but I haven’t gotten the opportunity card that I would need to do that in Quite Some Time.

Does that card lock when your stats are at a certain point? Are there other ways to get “Having Rodentine Minions Investigate”?[/quote]

As far as I know, there are no other sources of it. May I ask why you want it higher than 10?

[quote=Aximillio][quote=James Jones]I have a related question(not sure if I should start a new thread or not). I’m at “Meeting with the Albino Rat” and I want to raise my “Having Rodentine Minions Investigate” to higher than 10 but I haven’t gotten the opportunity card that I would need to do that in Quite Some Time.

Does that card lock when your stats are at a certain point? Are there other ways to get “Having Rodentine Minions Investigate”?[/quote]

As far as I know, there are no other sources of it. May I ask why you want it higher than 10?[/quote]

Well, because in order to progress past the “Meeting” card I need to put one of my rats at risk. I can give it a shot with the talkative rattus faber but at HRMI 10 it is a high risk challenge and I run the risk of loosing both rat and HRMI. I’d rather just grind it until it is a straightforward challenge to one of my rats and just knock it out.

You don’t mention that the chance of actually winning it is next to none. I know it says “a long shot”, but I just wasted 20 actions with a couple stops to drink some laudanum.
All I did was lose 20 actions and raise my nightmares to 6-7, and it pisses me off. “The long shot” should at least be possible.
I will try another 20 later, and if I do not succeed again, I will never try another long shot action ever again. What a joke.

I honestly don’t recall it being that difficult. I believe I did it in less than 10.
I think you might just be having a run of bad luck, mate. Don’t worry, it happens to us all.
Stiff upper lip and all that. I understand that getting quite a few unlucky results can be incredibly frustrating, but you’ll get it if you keep at it.

I did it in 5 or so. It’s all down to luck, and I imagine that check to be at about 10% or so. On the subject of luck tests; do we have an approximate on what percentage each have?

A long shot… but you might win
The chances are against you
It could go either way
Pretty good odds
A sure thing or is it?

[quote=James Jones][quote=Aximillio][quote=James Jones]I have a related question(not sure if I should start a new thread or not). I’m at “Meeting with the Albino Rat” and I want to raise my “Having Rodentine Minions Investigate” to higher than 10 but I haven’t gotten the opportunity card that I would need to do that in Quite Some Time.

As far as I know, there are no other sources of it. May I ask why you want it higher than 10?[/quote]

Well, because in order to progress past the “Meeting” card I need to put one of my rats at risk. I can give it a shot with the talkative rattus faber but at HRMI 10 it is a high risk challenge and I run the risk of loosing both rat and HRMI. I’d rather just grind it until it is a straightforward challenge to one of my rats and just knock it out.[/quote]

Ugh. I just answered my own question. The thing is that the trait tested is Serenity of the Plaster Face, which is raised, not lowered, when you fail. So the best bet is just to get a few talkative rattus fabers and grind it out.

[quote=James Jones]
Ugh. I just answered my own question. The thing is that the trait tested is Serenity of the Plaster Face, which is raised, not lowered, when you fail. So the best bet is just to get a few talkative rattus fabers and grind it out.[/quote]

That’s the way I used as well… Don’t forget you get different story tidbits with different rats, though, so you might want it for the story if nothing else.
Another interesting thing is that you still keep “Serenity of the Plaster Face” after[color=#ffffff] the Big Rat is dealt with. It’s under the intrigue tab of the Me tab.[/color]