Raising Scholar of the Correspondance

So I merrily got myself chucked out of the university and the court before fully utilising all their options. I have re-established my reputation at court but am now trying to raise Scholar of the Correspondence and I think I’ve blocked my way - it’s stuck on 3 and I can’t find any options to increase it. Any tips?

Search for curios in the fq can get it up to 7 with the right airs, after that you should probably use the university or the occasional surprise package (one result gives sotc)
edited by suinicide on 2/3/2017

By chucked out of court, do you mean banished or just sent to the Tomb-Colonies? If you still have court access, you can write a lot of Correspondence symphonies (after getting to SotC 7 via the FQ) without having to spend items at the University.

If you want to regain some of your lost academic reputation, you can embark on a Voyage of Scientific Discovery as well.

If you’ve spent some fate on Neathymon, the corresponding ocelot card can raise it until 10.

I believe the Owl’s card can too, if you’ve purchased both Flute Street and Theological Husbandry.

Actually, here’s an even better answer: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:A_Scholar_of_the_Correspondence . At the bottom is a list there. Apparently, if you’ve been kicked out of the court and university, things that you can use at SotC 3 are:

&quotLook for more evidence of the Correspondence in the ruins&quot in the forgotten quarter, up to L7.
Getting lucky on opening a bundle of oddities (but this is rare)
Getting the &quotSkin of the Bazaar&quot card in the bazaar sidestreets (also very rare)
And once you’ve been re-admitted into the university and have raised SoTC to 5, &quotUse Correspondence Plaques to expand your knowledge of the Correspondence &quot.

Fate-locked things are not on that list.
edited by Amalgamate on 2/4/2017

I got to ten by the Forgotten Quarter method, supplemented by tickling the belly of a certain fate-locked feline. For the entire 1-10 process I always flipped my cards in the Bazaar side streets. I have still never seen the Skin of the Bazaar card. That one doesn’t seem like a worthwhile option, unless you are favoured by the little gods of RNG. I only did the Shuttered Palace symphony thing a couple of times, it was just too long, drawn out and tedious for my money. Might not be so, but it FELT like I was making faster progress in the Forgotten Quarter.

You didn’t get to 10 that way. You got to seven that way, and then used the fate-locked option to skip the other expensive options. The forgotten quarter is probably faster, but it’s not enough to get to 10, not with the cap. The choice is lacre (a mere trickle of progress), &quotUse Correspondence Plaques to expand your knowledge of the Correspondence &quot, and symphonies. Or [FATE-LOCKED OPTIONS].

I composed a few symphonies, but mostly I went the expensive route - I saved up a ton of plaques and used the expensive University storyline. That might not be practical if you haven’t gone on the Voyage yet, though.

Yeah, that’s what I meant by the bit that started &quotsupplemented by tickling the belly of…&quot Sorry if I was a bit vague there. :)

I think there was a little bit from buckets of so-called snow, too. I could never use the correspondence plaques method, my low Watchful always left it tantalizingly out of reach.

Edit: Oops, my reply was meant for Grenem. DonaghyLogan’s post wasn’t there when I started typing. Oh well, no harm done, just a bit more confusion.

edited by Plynkes on 2/4/2017

[quote=Plynkes]Yeah, that’s what I meant by the bit that started &quotsupplemented by tickling the belly of…&quot Sorry if I was a bit vague there. :)

I think there was a little bit from buckets of so-called snow, too. I could never use the correspondence plaques method, my low Watchful always left it tantalizingly out of reach.[/quote]

Oh, I forgot about the snow! I also used that method a bit, with the semiotic monocle.

As for the low Watchful issue, I had a surplus of Sudden Insights from remembering my benefactor, which I used a few of.

Don’t forget that the Glim Sculptor card itself is good up to Level 7 (though do that before you unlock Flute Street)

Thank you all! The Forgotten Quarter tip is helping. I do have Flute Street although not Theological Husbandry, so hopefully when I come across that I’ll be able to use it! Alas I stupidly got myself kicked out of Court permanently so no symphonies (did that far too early…) I like the sound of having an ocelot…

also I have been on the voyage, so the university is a good option - the Kingmaker is providing me with plenty of spare correspondence plaques :)