Raising Pages and the New Ambition

To see what happens when you do, or possibly because you can.

The same reason you’d Lose Your Mind and Eat Your Crew at kingeater castle, really :P
edited by WormApotheote on 2/23/2015

Just got the Zong of the Zea - it has been upgraded to +10 for all stats. But it took all my secrets not just the 40 it said it would. I suppose, for me, it wasn’t a big problem as I only had 42.

Now to get more secrets and other things and see if I can get the other items from the study again.

[quote=lady ciel ]Just got the Zong of the Zea - it has been upgraded to +10 for all stats. But it took all my secrets not just the 40 it said it would. I suppose, for me, it wasn’t a big problem as I only had 42.

Now to get more secrets and other things and see if I can get the other items from the study again.[/quote]

Just my one silly question: did you submit a bug report for this? I can’t attempt to duplicate this error or try to replicate it until I figure out how to back up save files and switch between my newest &quotUnforgiving Mode&quot character and my older, more capable captains.

[li]

[quote=lady ciel ]

Now to get more secrets and other things and see if I can get the other items from the study again.[/quote]

Yes, you (or at least I) can. And sorry about your secrets - didn’t do that to me.

{While I am here: re-downloading from HumbleBundle also gave me real, live* Behemoustaches. Very happy!}

(*not actually live)

[spoiler]C:\Users<you>\AppData\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\saves

ctrl-c ctrl-v on Autosave.json
rename it to &quotUnforgiving.json&quot or whatever.

Be warned, when you play the game, it always overwrites the Autosave.json.
[/spoiler]

One quick fix for this, though I wonder if it screws with the game balancing, would be to replace the “improve hearts” option with doctors to “improve pages.” It seems like the Plausible Doctor’s ability to improve pages is a remnant of early game balancing so new players don’t improve their Pages stat too much early in the game and become awash in secrets.

While I understand if that’s the case, I’m currently two years into a captaincy with every skill reaching 70+ aside from Pages, which is around 35 or so, unamplified by officers or items. There simply is no reliable way to increase the stat which is really annoying once you’ve explored the entire map and become starved for secrets and fragments. Yes, I know you can purchase them at Irem. No, I don’t want to blow my echoes on their outlandish prices.

[quote=SporksAreGoodForYou]

[spoiler]C:\Users<you>\AppData\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\saves

ctrl-c ctrl-v on Autosave.json
rename it to &quotUnforgiving.json&quot or whatever.

Be warned, when you play the game, it always overwrites the Autosave.json.
[/spoiler][/quote]

Appreciate this one, Sporks. Thanks.

[li]

Hello Mr Sausage! You might like to return to ensure you’ve grabbed the latest story, and return to your lodgings, where you’ll find a study that has many new treasures. Spoilers abound on this link, but, so click at your peril. Your Study - Official Sunless Sea Wiki

Southsea - my pleasure. You might want to create a folder very far from that (perhaps under &quotmy documents&quot called &quotawesome zee captains I have made&quot) and back them up into there. That way a game update will never accidentally destroy them.

Thanks for the heads up. Although, and I might have just overlooked this, can one create a monstrous almanac from a modest townhouse? Or is the zeeside mansion required? I didn’t see the option in my modest townhouse, but again, I may have just overlooked it.

I only have a townhouse, and I was chilling in my study earlier. There should be a “your study” option in there somewhere.

Just figured it out. Apparently the monstrous almanac (and a few of the other options) won’t appear unless you have seven secrets on your person. They popped up once I found enough secrets.

Soooo is the ability to make the Monstrous Almanac not showing up for anyone else, or is that just me?

I have everything else appearing as an option, just not the almanac.

[quote=MisterGone]Soooo is the ability to make the Monstrous Almanac not showing up for anyone else, or is that just me?

I have everything else appearing as an option, just not the almanac.[/quote]

+1. Though I haven’t visited the study with the correct amount of artefacts yet. Funny thing, I had more then enough, but I sold them right before my first visit to the study… The irony…

I’m wondering why I’m not getting the option shown though…

Either something went wrong with my updating routine, or something is wrong with that option’s requirements.

I’ll try monkeying around with secrets and artefacts to see if it’ll somehow pop-up if I have the exact requirements on hand.

Why did it have to be pages… of all the…

Oh, and +1 to the OP as well. Giving away 250+ secrets worth of stats is cruel already, but 50+ worth of pages? On non-poet captain? Without a convenient way to train them? Yeah, right, not while my terror is below 101…

Report it as a bug. It should almost certainly be one of those options which appears without the requirements, because it’s good to know you could build it.

[quote=Red-XIII]
Oh, and +1 to the OP as well. Giving away 250+ secrets worth of stats is cruel already, but 50+ worth of pages? On non-poet captain? Without a convenient way to train them? Yeah, right, not while my terror is below 101…[/quote]

I have to agree as well. There was a time when the Pages stat had to be over-balanced, but that time is no longer. I’d appreciate having at least one officer capable of trading pages for secrets, or some other way to raise pages reliably in a similar fashion. At this point the stat is for more than just gaining fragments, and isn’t overpowered in any way.

[li]