Raising Menaces

I just discovered the confessions at hallowmas storylet, and being a Seeker of the Name, I am quite interested in the option: &quotrevel in the error that others will not speak of&quot. However, this requires the four main menaces (suspicion, scandal, wounds and nightmares) to be at level 5. Unfortunately, my attributes are too high to simply fail at common challenges, even with the help of a talkative rat. Are there other reliable options for raising menaces?[li]
Many thanks in advance.

P.S. If there are others interested in confessing the name, contact me.

You could raise wounds by chugging laudanum. Black Wings Absinthe increases scandal and wounds. People could tell you their nightmares. I’m not sure about suspicion. Also, I wouldn’t mind sharing this confession once we are both properly menaced.

Well, you could have somebody dupe you to gain Scandal. As for suspicion, have somebody send you the social action that sheds suspicion, and you’ll gain a CP of suspicion by helping them.

You only need 3 for the first confessions. So you should be able to do both scandal and suspicion with items.

If you have none of the relevant menace equip and then unequip an item which gives you 1. Then you can add to it by wearing the appropriate items.

Scandal is the Modish Bonnet and Scarlet Stockings. Suspicion is a Prisoner’s Mask, Ragged Clothing and Prison Shiv.

Wounds are trickier, failing Dangerous challenges will raise them but that depends on your stats and what stories are available to you. The Rubbery Man/Tomb Colony conflict card will give wounds.

Nightmares - Seeking Curios in the Forgotten Quarter will definitely give nightmares on some actions.

[li]

The best conflict card for Wounds is the Urchins/Devils one – persuade the Urchin to keep his soul and your Wounds will increase by 3cp.

Are there any non-PoSIs who wish to confess to a gentleman of only occasionally impeachable discretion? I find my contact list somewhat sparse.

Ditto on the contact list, unfortunately it seems most of my contact list is POSI - and I just raised my scandal and suspicion to be available to others:(

Fortunately that restriction seems to have been lifted. Actions permitting I will be happy to confess suspicion and scandal - this is one of the options after you have three confessions.[li]
edited by reveurciel on 11/6/2013

Starvling Cat gives +1 Wounds, +1 Nightmares per pet, that’s a relatively easy way to boost things…

I am ready to confess about the Name. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Quick one - anyone knows an action giving Scandal available to PoSIs? Failing Persuasive checks is mostly out of the question, but luck-based tests could do ^^

If you put on a Scandal-boosting item, that gives you default of 1 point. You can get +2 levels from items.

If you’re lucky and get “A Visit” posing Nude gives 3 points. You just need to draw it twice to hit Scandal 3 (then add +2 levels from items).

For Nightmares I have been getting supplies for an expedition in the Forgotten Quarter using Appalling Secrets which gives you nightmares every time.

For Scandal, the Intimate of Devils cards tend to raise Scandal.
edited by Asami Sato on 11/6/2013
edited by Asami Sato on 11/6/2013

[quote=streetfelineblue]Quick one - anyone knows an action giving Scandal available to PoSIs? Failing Persuasive checks is mostly out of the question, but luck-based tests could do ^^[/quote]Drinking wine at the carnival is a luckbased test that can give you Scandal +1 CP or Nightmares -2 CP. So not a great option, but it’s there. Siding with Hell in the Church/Hell conflict card always gives Scandal +1 CP.

EDIT: Secure an invitation to a scandalous party on The Tower of Eyes card gives Scandal +2 CP. You just have to forego whatever fancy stuff you probably get up to with your orphanage or salon while you deign to throw a glance at that place. ;)

babelfishwars: Are you loitering in the Pickpocket’s Promenade? That seems like it’d work better than failing a heist.
edited by Gillsing on 11/6/2013

Only thing I’m struggling with is suspicion. Items give me 3, I had one point already, but can’t get more. Arrrgh. loiters suspiciously and optimistically

For suspicion id reccomend the flit+talkative rat and then the prisoner gear. For nightmares forgotten quarter “Seek curious” is slow but works. Wounds is the most difficult. Labyrinth of tigers whould be my best suggestion. Scandal is as simple as have someone dupe you with the social interactions. Enjoy your confessions!

Wounds = quaffing laudanum.
Hopefully I can lower my stats enough. They’re rather high.

Hopefully I can lower my stats enough. They’re rather high.[/quote]
Well for the people of importance chugging laudanum means developing a unfortunate addiction that eventuly renders laudenum useless at lowering nightmares.[li]
And aha! Yes it lowers nightmares. A rather unfortunate side effect if you seek insanity and wells.

babelfishwars I’ve sent you some “ask a friend to cover for you”. I’m not seeking so only need the 3 Suspicion I get from gear.

Just thought I would remind Scholars of the Correspondence that giving Public Lectures in the Forgotten Quarter raises suspicion.

Hopefully I can lower my stats enough. They’re rather high.[/quote]
Well for the people of importance chugging laudanum means developing a unfortunate addiction that eventuly renders laudenum useless at lowering nightmares.[li]
And aha! Yes it lowers nightmares. A rather unfortunate side effect if you seek insanity and wells.[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]
[/li][li]I’ve been addicted for a long time. I consider it a bonus in this case. Won’t have to re-raise my nightmares. :-)

[/li]